Huge improvements coming for CarPlay in iOS 13

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
This isn’t specific to Jeep, but will affect all Wrangler owners using CarPlay. The next version of iOS (v.13, due in September) will be the biggest improvements to CaPlay since it was introduced. I got on the Beta test and have been playing around with it for a few days now.

In addition to just user interface improvements, the biggest improvements are:
  • a side-by-side screen where you can see navigation and your music on the same screen (as of now this only works with apple maps, tbd whether it will eventually allow you to customize with Waze or Google maps)
  • now if you go to look at your actual iPhone’s screen, it doesn’t take your Jeep’s infotainment screen back to the home screen
  • a new calendar app in CarPlay, so you can click on address links on your calendar without having to type them in

A longer review can be found here
https://www.pocket-lint.com/cars/news/apple/148501-apple-carplay-on-ios-13

As of now I don’t recommend getting the Beta test, it’s still fairly glitchy. But that’s to be expected with Beta’s. I expect apple will have all of these minor issues fixed by the time it goes live in September.

These features will be free for anyone using an iPhone released in the past 5-6 years.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Wouldn't FCA have to authorize the upgrade to the vehicle though? What if the hardware isn't compatible with the upgrade or FCA doesn't want to deal with bugs after an upgrade?

Roy_Hobbs

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Ocean Blue Sky One-Touch
Wouldn't FCA have to authorize the upgrade to the vehicle though? What if the hardware isn't compatible with the upgrade or FCA doesn't want to deal with bugs after an upgrade?
No, CarPlay is all on the iPhone side. All Uconnect does is display what is sent from the phone.

Flyslinger2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
I've had my Punk'n JL for all of a week and I'm loving the new car tech. And I'm an IT guy. I was adamant about not using my phone in my previous vehicle. I wouldn't even call Mrs. Fly when I was headed home. I work in a super secure facility during the day so we don't chat on the phone.

Now I press one button, activate Siri, and she does the rest. So sweet. And my phone never sees the light of day.

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds cool! But I’ll keep my iphone jailbroken on ios 12.0. It gives me functionality that Apple will never give me.

OP
OP
Columbus104

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Really hoping they can get the split screen working with Waze before the general release in September.
To clarify, while many commentators have speculated on the third party nav option, this is not something Apple has said will happen. My guess is that it won’t be available on the first release of iOS 13, but in some future upgrade. That being said, I do think Apple has done a good job of fixing what was was initially bad about Apple Maps. The gap between it and Google Maps/Waze still exists, but is nowhere near as profound as it once was. And they’re all much more visually appealing than the built-in FCA nav.

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
I wish Android would step up their game! I came from an iPhone and just when I thought CarPlay was crap, I plugged in my Samsung only to realize that I was in heaven with the iPhone/CarPlay. Android Auto just suckz big time.

Sponsored

cargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLU Sahara
I wish Android would step up their game! I came from an iPhone and just when I thought CarPlay was crap, I plugged in my Samsung only to realize that I was in heaven with the iPhone/CarPlay. Android Auto just suckz big time.
There is an android auto redesign coming out later this summer

OP
OP
Columbus104

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think bluetooth has the transfer speeds to make that work. I'm guessing wifi direct will eventually make its way into cars to allow that type of functionality
He’s correct. Current Bluetooth capability is around 3 mbps. Fine for just audios but nowhere near the speeds needed for nav. Future generations of Bluetooth may be faster, but not 2019 technology.

StyleGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GMC YUKON DENALI, 2017 JAGUAR XE, 2014 MASERATI GHIBLI SQ4
BMW offers wireless Carplay. I think it works over wifi not bluetooth. They offer it as a yearly subscription. As far as I know BMW is the only car manufacturer to offer wireless Carplay. It's also available in aftermarket radios

Fatman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU 2001 Corvette 1999 SLK 230 (2) 2004 S2000 2013 Tiguan 2014 Explorer PIU 2005 F150 2011 C-200 2012 Lexus Prius TO MANY CARS!
Occupation
Retired / BUM
my AA works (sometimes) via BT, no idea why only sometimes.
We moved away from Apple products due to the fact they make major changes all the time, I love that with Android I can control the phone I own.
Sponsored