Consumer Reports review of the 2018 Wrangler JL

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I don't really trust consumer reports at all, but anyway.

"Getting in or out is awkward, and that remains a Wrangler tradition."

LOL, I'm sure they mention that for every sports car they drive, like the always popular 3 series and similar low sedans? Coming from a low sedan, yes, the wrangler is enjoyable for me to get in. Maybe I'm the perfect height??? It seemed to be exactly the same as getting in a VW Touareg, which is fairly cushy and normal SUV-ish.

It would be valid to claim the door strap rubs your leg or something.

Oh well.
Sponsored

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Going to chime in.

Iā€™m 6ā€™2ā€ tall torso - the top of the center cluster is definitely cut off
Just to bracket in the heights, I'm about 5'11 and don't recall it getting cut off...maybe someone exactly 6'0" can chime in :like:

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
When CR totally shit on the JK, I kept nodding. They weren't wrong about it. At all. As a practical vehicle, the JK is awful. That's nothing new. However, when they took a refreshed Sahara "off-road" by flooring it up a hill with a bunch of wet rocks on street tires and then bashed its off-road performance because they clearly had no idea what they were doing, they lost their credibility with me.

The JK is a fantastic off-road vehicle, but a horrible on-road vehicle, and a lot of people can't seem to accept that.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
When CR totally shit on the JK, I kept nodding. They weren't wrong about it. At all. As a practical vehicle, the JK is awful. That's nothing new. However, when they took a refreshed Sahara "off-road" by flooring it up a hill with a bunch of wet rocks on street tires and then bashed its off-road performance because they clearly had no idea what they were doing, they lost their credibility with me.

The JK is a fantastic off-road vehicle, but a horrible on-road vehicle, and a lot of people can't seem to accept that.
Agreed.

They were extremely fair with the JL review, imho.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Agreed.

They were extremely fair with the JL review, imho.
This wasnā€™t the review, it was a ā€˜first impressionsā€™ write up. Iā€™m not too confident that their official review will be very useful, especially after they drive it on their ā€œchallenging rock hill courseā€œ.

My guess is itā€™s a in incline with some loose rocks, intended to measure how well a full-time computer-controlled AWD system does at the ā€˜large spill teatā€™ when you floor your CUV while pointed roughly uphill.

Sponsored

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering
CR is bench marking it against typical SUVs/CUVs, they don't like the wrangler, and never have...they also don't like anything besides vanilla ice cream.....The wrangler isn't an appliance, not that there is anything wrong with appliance cars...If you are expecting an appliance you will be disappointed....if you are looking for something that is considerably more fun and capable but because of such has drawbacks as a DD ( although fewer then ever before) the wrangler is for you.
Ever put the top down on a Honda CRV or a Nissan Rogue?

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Consumer reports absolutely blasted the JK, and it didn't stop jeep from selling nearly 200k a year. They're notoriously tough on vehicles and tend to reward grade A safety family vehicles the most.

Hey, if you want a boring crossover, then go ahead and get one. The Wrangler is always going to go against the grain.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
IMO, using a Jeep as a DD would be a real labor of love. For heavy, stop-go commute traffic, nothing really beats a nice, quiet CUV.

But outside of the 9-5 routine, top down, weekends free, is there really anything else that compares?
Passing my ā€˜16 Yukon to my wife and will use the new 2 door, manual JL for my craptastic stop and go (hour+ each way) commute. My nice, quiet Yukon is boooooorrrrrriiiinnnng. Plus, that top and those doors will be off every day the weather permits it. Not just weekends!

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Leaf, 2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't find it such a horrible review except for the DD one and a couple subjective comments about comfort. I'm using mine as a DD to break it in a bit and I'm finding it great. Up to 80kph it's as quiet as any of my old cars except for my real DD which is a Nissan Leaf.

The seats do get a bit uncomfortable for me after 4 hours of driving but if that's your daily commute you've got much bigger issues to deal with than a numb ass.

I'm 6' 4", and no gentle way to put it, I'm now a fat pig, and the Jeep is hands down the easiest vehicle to get in and out of aside from a full size truck and oddly enough the Nissan Leaf. I just have to duck a bit to get in.

I've probably bought more cars, trucks and motorbikes over the years than new underwear so I've got a fair number of personal comparison points and I think the new Wrangler is damn near perfect.

Sponsored

Kysport

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
The only person that I can speak for is me. I'm 66 and have been retired 4 years. Before I retired I had owned Chevy's, Ford's, Toyota's, and Honda's. I drove over 10 different full sized pickups over my working career. When I retired, my son, and son in law both drove JKU Oscar Mikes and raved about them. I said live a little and bought a 2016, 2 door JK. WOW!!! It is far and away the most fun to drive vehicle I've ever driven. I drive it every day and have taken several long trips in it. I'm at the point in my life that I can drive whatever I want. I want to drive a Wrangler. I have a 4 door JL on order only because with the grandkids, I need another seat. I will miss my two door but after driving a new JL several times, I think I will like it even more. Just My Two Cents Worth.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is no rational reason to buy a $50k Wrangler to use mostly for commuting, but a million irrational ones.
Forum's new motto!

I definitely couldn't rationalize it and never wanted to buy a new car which was frustrating...but yes something fun enough test driving several this last year to say screw it and place an order!

BTW, I woke up a couple nights after I ordered thinking was that a dream or nightmare that I factory ordered a new wrangler. Then thought oh well, time will tell, lol.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...As others have said it is their job to guide the general public and they need to take a "vanilla" approach.
Not that their summary of the JL was off...but...

Their insistence on average vanilla is why I can't trust them. Anything with a different flavor is inherently a problem. It's like the lazy car shows that heap praise on average plain sedans. No, they dont "feel sporty", no they don't have "great handling". They are by nature average...and that is totally fine! Remember some review show they dinged a BMW M2 for not being as fast as they thought! Then immediately droned on about something I can't remember about it's handing, acceleration, etc. LOL. Total bell curve.

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
While I understand most auto writers feel the need to add value, the CR approach is flawed as it assumes there is only one acceptable type of transportation appliance, so the only vehicles capable of a positive review must fit their uncompromising view that a totally compromised appliance is the best answer. They say with age comes wisdom, all I know is that in my case, Iā€™m less and less looking for compromise. While technology is allowing cars to do unnatural things today it comes at a price, the loss of character and a sense of identity. You donā€™t buy a Jeep for what it isnā€™t, you buy it for what it is. Wranglers are about capability and lifestyle, they are mostly anti-compromise and thank heaven for that.