• Start date
  • Watchers 9

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
Roof was on, windows up. Dash cam is mounted just to the passenger side of the forward collision camera (so what you see is pretty much exactly what I'd expect the the Jeep to see).
From the video I'd bet it was a false positive off of the overhead sign.
Sponsored

gkrash

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
That is more than twice the cost of replacing my JKU windshield when it was cracked. Any explanation from them for the high cost?
They quoted me something like $780 installed for the factory JLU windshield - I think the non-Jeep logo one was a bit cheaper (maybe 600?) - this was before they noted it was for the ACC model. I didn't ask, but from what I'm experiencing, I think it's just a supply and demand issue. I had the claim started 3 weeks ago, and I haven't gotten any word at all on a date when they'll have them in stock. Thank goodness the crack hasn't gotten any worse (/me knocks on wood).

Oh, and lastly, I *did* try to get them to quote me a gorilla glass windshield for the JL, which they claimed they had a part number for, but it was not the ACC model. The non-ACC Gorilla Glass windshield was quoted to me at $1400.00 for the windshield plus install.

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I found the driver that thinks hes better than 90% of other drivers. :)
Odds are you are correct. 39 years driving 2 and 4 wheeled vehicles in 46 states and 7 countries, roughly 585,000 mi driven with no at fault accidents... Yep fair bet I'm in the top 10% of "better" drivers. FWIW the one accident I did have was that my legally parked vehicle was hit on a public road by a distracted driver. I stand by my statement.

Last edited:

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Odds are you are correct. 39 years driving 2 and 4 wheeled vehicles in 46 states and 7 countries, roughly 585,000 mi driven with no at fault accidents... Yep fair bet I/m in the top 10% of "better" drivers. FWIW the one accident I did have was that my legally parked vehicle was hit on a public road by a distracted driver. I stand by my statement.
But doesn't it make you feel better that these awesome safety features are available for all of those a$$ hat drivers out there that can't drive for crap? Maybe it'll prevent them from hitting you...

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
But doesn't it make you feel better that these awesome safety features are available for all of those a$$ hat drivers out there that can't drive for crap? Maybe it'll prevent them from hitting you...
I think it just gives them another excuse not to pay attention. People "feel" safer in their cars thus are less attentive. The safer they feel, the less attentive they become... It provides a false sense of security. But hey, if it makes people feel better, and you don't mind paying more for your vehicle then go for it.

Sponsored

StammesOpfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Punk'n 2.0 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It seems like it is comparing horizontal lines (car bumbers etc) to vertical lines (lanes) so if like in @ClaytonW video the overpass looks like a car with the side walls being lanes. Sometimes road transitions Asphalt to concrete etc can cause a line that triggers it. The reason this triggers so much more often falsely is because it is not radar based like most other systems and the few that are camera based (subaru comes to mind) use dual cameras to build a 3D picture.

A little bit of speculation here but this system is probably significantly cheaper than dual camera systems since not only does it only use one camera but it doesn't have to process the two images and build a 3D picture and track everything. It just compares roughly horizontal stuff to roughly vertical stuff.

Radar wouldn't work because you can't use it through glass and too many of us replace bumpers and put lights and winches in front of the grill.

Mine falses in super heavy rain. I have turned it off completely during 2 drives home but I was also forced to drive significantly below the speed limit due to poor visibility at those times. It also falses at one particular construction zone just because road transitions and lane lines.

It did save me once though. Traffic from a light started to move and I looked right to check for pedestrians since I was going to turn and the car in front of me slammed on the brakes. I might have caught it in time but I don't know for sure. The auto braking did though. That makes the few falses that I have had worth the annoyance. Plus ACC is amazing in the slow and go traffic I encounter most mornings.

If they can make it better I am all for it. Like how it seems to hold onto a car that is leaving or has left the lane already to turn and you are trying to go pass them. Understanding how the system works makes it a little more bearable and less frustrating... At least to me.

ClaytonW

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Lexus LX570
The reason this triggers so much more often falsely is because it is not radar based like most other systems and the few that are camera based (subaru comes to mind) use dual cameras to build a 3D picture.

A little bit of speculation here but this system is probably significantly cheaper than dual camera systems since not only does it only use one camera but it doesn't have to process the two images and build a 3D picture and track everything. It just compares roughly horizontal stuff to roughly vertical stuff.

Radar wouldn't work because you can't use it through glass and too many of us replace bumpers and put lights and winches in front of the grill.
Good points, I agree. BTW, it's still possible for some radar lenghts to work through the glass, but I doubt that Jeep would use such sensors. On the other side, the Owner's manual (the book which you won't get unless you ask for it) says this:

"ACC utilizes a radar sensor and a forward facing camera designed to detect a vehicle directly ahead of you."
"The sensor is located in the center of the vehicle behind the lower grille."

But I consider this information wrong, it's probably copy/paste from other Jeep vehicle. Or is it still possible that there is a radar sensor somewhere?

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Odds are you are correct. 39 years driving 2 and 4 wheeled vehicles in 46 states and 7 countries, roughly 585,000 mi driven with no at fault accidents... Yep fair bet I'm in the top 10% of "better" drivers. FWIW the one accident I did have was that my legally parked vehicle was hit on a public road by a distracted driver. I stand by my statement.
First of all, you missed the point, which is backed up by science, that most people think they are better than most other drivers. So a lot of people are wrong.

Secondly, it doesn't matter if you are literally the best driver in the world. Because you share the road with all of the other terrible drivers out there, and you are only human. Your maximum reaction times are determined by biology, not driving skill.

You will never be as quick at moving your foot from the gas to the brake as the Jeep can be, in those instances where rapid brake deployment is needed. You will never be able to see the the blind spots that your Jeep can warn you about, because you don't have x-ray vision.

I think it just gives them another excuse not to pay attention. People "feel" safer in their cars thus are less attentive. The safer they feel, the less attentive they become... It provides a false sense of security
I mean, if this is true, just tear out the ABS, the Airbags, seatbelts, rollbars, LSDs...you'll have a much lighter Jeep and you'll be SUPER attentive.

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
First of all, you missed the point, which is backed up by science, that most people think they are better than most other drivers. So a lot of people are wrong.

Secondly, it doesn't matter if you are literally the best driver in the world. Because you share the road with all of the other terrible drivers out there, and you are only human. Your maximum reaction times are determined by biology, not driving skill.

You will never be as quick at moving your foot from the gas to the brake as the Jeep can be, in those instances where rapid brake deployment is needed. You will never be able to see the the blind spots that your Jeep can warn you about, because you don't have x-ray vision.

I mean, if this is true, just tear out the ABS, the Airbags, seatbelts, rollbars, LSDs...you'll have a much lighter Jeep and you'll be SUPER attentive.
Yeah, I'd say it's true. Just look a the increase in rear end accidents to see how misplaced people's sense of security has become since the advent of the collision avoidance system. I'll bet a lot of those were just people "testing" the system... Doh!

I may not have x-ray vision but I do have another superpower, it's called turning my head (Along with proper mirror adjustment).

I'll close by saying that I managed to survive and thrive in a world without ABS, Airbags, seatbelts, rollbars, and such. Their inventions have had zero impact in the way that I drive but have had a huge impact in the size of my bank account...

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I'd say it's true. Just look a the increase in rear end accidents to see how misplaced people's sense of security has become since the advent of the collision avoidance system. I'll bet a lot of those were just people "testing" the system... Doh!

I may not have x-ray vision but I do have another superpower, it's called turning my head (Along with proper mirror adjustment).

I'll close by saying that I managed to survive and thrive in a world without ABS, Airbags, seatbelts, rollbars, and such. Their inventions have had zero impact in the way that I drive but have had a huge impact in the size of my bank account...
I was going to let this one die but now you are just spewing nonsense and I'm in "someone is wrong on the internet" mode. Don't take it personally, I just like facts.

First, you cite an increase in rear-end accidents and blame them on collision avoidance systems.

Except...that's not at all what the hoards of data collected on accidents says.

Here's an article explaining exactly the opposite (bonus picture of a wrecked Jeep)

The NTSB estimated that 80 percent of the deaths and injuries resulting from rear-end collisions could be prevented by collision avoidance systems, which are available in some cars but not required on all of them.

“Research shows that front-crash prevention systems, particularly those that can brake automatically, are significantly reducing front-into-rear crashes,” said Russ Rader of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

While you are correct that rear-end accidents have been increasing, the answer why has nothing to do with "that danged safety tech-naw-lo-gy" but simply because other technologies like cell phones are increasing the number of distracted driving accidents.

In a report accompanying the recommendation, the NTSB pointed to a study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration which found that 87 percent of rear-end collisions happened because the driver simply wasn’t paying attention to the road.

The NTSB said that cell phones and other non-driving related systems in cars contributed to that distraction.
It's good...great actually!...that you haven't been injured or died in a car accident all your life. But as NNT's Black Swan lesson teaches us, that ain't no reason to think that tomorrow is going to be the same as today.

image.png

Sponsored

GibbonsMonkey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR; R1200GSA; Goldwing
First post here, but have been reading the site for some time now.

Mine gives false positives frequently enough that it's a bit annoying to be honest. I think it's done it 5 times within the week, and never when I was in any danger. 4 of those times it went off without another vehicle, signpost, or rain in sight. the 5th time the car that I suspect it detected - was in the lane next to me.

For those of us that didn't just custom order a build, and instead bought one off the lot that was a best-fit for the budget/time available, our options seem to be:

1. Leave it on, and get active braking and beeping.
2. Leave it partially on, and get the beeping.
3. Disable it and have an ugly warning light on the dash.

It doesn't matter to me if I'm better than other drivers or not.

It came with the vehicle, and it doesn't seem to work very well in my case. I mentioned it to the dealership, and they handed me a phone number for FCA to complain (which I guess I'll do tonight).

jimmyzwheelz

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon 2DR
First post here, but have been reading the site for some time now.

Mine gives false positives frequently enough that it's a bit annoying to be honest. I think it's done it 5 times within the week, and never when I was in any danger. 4 of those times it went off without another vehicle, signpost, or rain in sight. the 5th time the car that I suspect it detected - was in the lane next to me.

For those of us that didn't just custom order a build, and instead bought one off the lot that was a best-fit for the budget/time available, our options seem to be:

1. Leave it on, and get active braking and beeping.
2. Leave it partially on, and get the beeping.
3. Disable it and have an ugly warning light on the dash.

It doesn't matter to me if I'm better than other drivers or not.

It came with the vehicle, and it doesn't seem to work very well in my case. I mentioned it to the dealership, and they handed me a phone number for FCA to complain (which I guess I'll do tonight).
Change the sensitivity to "near" and that should reduce the false positives that you experience. Worked for me.

GibbonsMonkey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR; R1200GSA; Goldwing
Change the sensitivity to "near" and that should reduce the false positives that you experience. Worked for me.
Done that. It's helped, but still triggered yesterday when I drove by someone sitting in a turning lane.

XAMfed

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I notice mine goes off when I'm under an overpass
My JLUR and my Ram both go off occasionally in one spot under a bridge. I drive this road daily to and from work, and it happens every 30th or so times. Usually just the warning, this morning wife was in the Jeep and it stopped. No cars were in front or behind her.

OP
OP

Deleted member 29342

I found out something interesting about the FCW. I took a 440 miles trip and every so often I would clean the windshield from the big splats. There has been a part of my drive that I didn’t clean bc I didn’t see any splats and out of no where a message pops up saying clean windshield FCW is disable. I pulled into a rest stop and saw a bunch of bugs splat by the sensor.
Sponsored