Anyone familiar with the Suntop?

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
I can see mine on the UPS truck driving through my town. Should be here by end of day. Hopefully it stops raining this weekend so I can put it on.
Sponsored

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
How and where are you guys ordering these tops? I emailed them a while back and they said they weren't for sale yet.

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How and where are you guys ordering these tops? I emailed them a while back and they said they weren't for sale yet.
I just emailed them after posting this thread. It is available and shipping was pretty quick considering I'm in the US and it is coming from Italy. I contacted them through their website at http://thesuntop.com and got a response from [email protected]. I initially sent my message on June 13 (a Sunday). They replied on June 14. Responses generally took about a day. I ended up ordering on June 17 and now I've gotten notification from UPS that it is going to be delivered today. I'm hoping the top itself is good, but the company has been good to work with so far.

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, I installed my Suntop today. It took about 2 hours though there was an extra 30 minutes of running to the store to buy some washers when I dropped one inside the car and a new m5 nut that I misplaced. I followed the instructions from this youtube video. It was pretty straightforward, but a bit of a pain by myself. Having come from driving an Audi convertible, I was spoiled previously with a very thick soft top. So, I'll need to get used to the wind noise after I hit 35mph and the plastic rear window that made the view out the back a little distorted, though not terrible. Otherwise, I love it. Rolling the top forward takes very little effort.

IMG_9965resized.jpg
F177FCAA-9EE7-4673-8F08-0DAEEE1903F3.JPG

https://imgur.com/gallery/hiyZn0r

alwebs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara JLU
My military green cargo top is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Unlike XLR8TOR, I have the patience of an 8-year-old boy on Christmas Eve, so it will be installed immediately. I'll post pics by the end of the week.

Sponsored

alwebs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara JLU
So, I installed my Suntop today. It took about 2 hours though there was an extra 30 minutes of running to the store to buy some washers when I dropped one inside the car and a new m5 nut that I misplaced. I followed the instructions from this youtube video. It was pretty straightforward, but a bit of a pain by myself. Having come from driving an Audi convertible, I was spoiled previously with a very thick soft top. So, I'll need to get used to the wind noise after I hit 35mph and the plastic rear window that made the view out the back a little distorted, though not terrible. Otherwise, I love it. Rolling the top forward takes very little effort.

IMG_9965resized.jpg

Looks great! Seeing this initially made me wish I had gone with the fastback...until I remembered that the same top is compatible with both the fastback and cargo-top options!

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks great! Seeing this initially made me wish I had gone with the fastback...until I remembered that the same top is compatible with both the fastback and cargo-top options!
Yeah, I can always buy and easily swap out the back windows. My wife preferred the cargo back.

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My military green cargo top is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Unlike XLR8TOR, I have the patience of an 8-year-old boy on Christmas Eve, so it will be installed immediately. I'll post pics by the end of the week.
Yeah man. Would love to see it.

AggEyes

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue Wrangler JLUR
This looks awesome. I have the Garvin full body Wilderness rack with a RTT and think this Suntop might be the only soft top option that would work with it since the rack will be a bit of a pain to remove regularly. Any idea if you think it would work?

65575283-11DC-4740-AEB1-3C18C079ED0C.JPG

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport

IMG_9965resized.jpg

Looks really good. Have you run with the windows out but the top still on? Any flapping? I don't see much of a support system for the cabin part of it, I wonder how it stays still and keeps rain from pooling.

Sponsored

MeanPeachMojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester, 2019 JLU Sport S

IMG_9965resized.jpg

I would love to know once you experience a heavy rain fall, how it holds up. I'd be leary about the areas above the doors. The thin top seems to be a catch22.

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks really good. Have you run with the windows out but the top still on? Any flapping? I don't see much of a support system for the cabin part of it, I wonder how it stays still and keeps rain from pooling.
When it rained the other day, i came out and found water pooling in those 2 areas that are open on the roll cage. The water didn't leak in, but I didn't like that the water was just sitting there. There are 2 rails that are installed on either side of the cabin that the top attaches to. Then there is a bar that goes across the top, but it is right over the middle bar of the roll cage.

I haven't run yet with the rear windows out entirely, only with the back window out and that wasn't an issue. I'm driving around right now with the rear window out and the top open.

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would love to know once you experience a heavy rain fall, how it holds up. I'd be leary about the areas above the doors. The thin top seems to be a catch22.
I haven't driven in rain, but the car was sitting outside during heavy rain. I didn't have any leaks. There are 2 rails that run the length of the top that press against the doors and then another piece that attaches to those rails at the top and to the side of the car at the bottom so they run alongside the rear doors. So, those rails and those pieces are what the top of the doors press against to keep water out. It is those back posts that the rear window wraps around and velcros to.

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This looks awesome. I have the Garvin full body Wilderness rack with a RTT and think this Suntop might be the only soft top option that would work with it since the rack will be a bit of a pain to remove regularly. Any idea if you think it would work?

65575283-11DC-4740-AEB1-3C18C079ED0C.JPG
It is hard to tell, but I think it would. It might be annoying to roll the top up under that rack, but it is likely doable. Right now, I stand in the back and roll the top forward as far as I can. Then, I go inside the rear seat and roll it all the way to the front. At that point, I'm standing with my head out of the top of the car. You can do it without standing up, but you may need to then move to the front to finish rolling it the last little bit.

alwebs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara JLU
My wife and I installed the top yesterday. I'm very happy with the end result, but the install was a total pain at times. The directions are a collection of poor quality black and white photos, so I relied on the YouTube video posted earlier in this thread. While that was helpful, they left out a handful of key tips, like don't tighten anything at all until you get the windshield bar installed. That was the hardest part for me personally, especially since I was working alone on that part. I felt like the 85mm bolts were just a tad too short for the job. I ultimately made it work but with an unnatural amount of force and more metal to paint contact than I had expected.

IMG_0404.jpg
IMG_0405.jpg
IMG_4635.jpg
IMG_4642.jpg
IMG_4646.jpg
IMG_4647.jpg
IMG_4648.jpg
IMG_4649.jpg

IMG_4638.jpg
Sponsored