Sponsored

What is JLU's actual fuel tank capacity?

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Ive gone about 25 miles past where the Jeep was telling me I was out of miles, doing about 70 on the interstate. Filled up in the high 18s, getting close to 19 gallons. Thats the most I have ever filled up. I originally thought that the Jeeps were being provided with the 2 door tanks, but I have come around to the thinking that they are either:
1) Horribly calibrated sensors
2) Purposefully large reserve since you can be off-roading in the middle of nowhere and need a larger reserve.

Im glad I wasnt the one that had to go all Kramer (Seinfeld) and test the capacity. Although, running 25 miles past the computer telling you that you need gas seems like an eternity and is pretty nerve wracking. I would prefer an accurate gauge and mileage indicator to what we have.
Sponsored

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
I have put 19.6 in mine at the most, I do not recall how much was left on the gauge or range though.

My RAMs both have 32 gal tanks, once I put 31.6 in one of them. I was pulling a trailer and that was frighteningly empty.

jeepscout

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Vehicle Showcase
I read (can't remember where of course) that Jeep factors in 3 gallons of reserve due to the likelihood of off-roading and that Wranglers are more likely to be further away from gas stations than typical cars and trucks. It's plausible, maybe someone on here will give us the info.

OP
OP
Rubicon_LA

Rubicon_LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I did the dirty work so you didn’t have to. Lol.

There was a thread a while back that got very contentious about this subject. The thread poster ran out of gas and got attacked repeatedly as being a reckless moron who endangered the lives of others by doing so. I believe it got closed and/or deleted after personal attacks and flaming.
I see. Thank you, I appreciate the info.

OP
OP
Rubicon_LA

Rubicon_LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciate everybody's input guys. Feel more informed and less worried now

Sponsored

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
I did the dirty work so you didn’t have to. Lol.

There was a thread a while back that got very contentious about this subject. The thread poster ran out of gas and got attacked repeatedly as being a reckless moron who endangered the lives of others by doing so. I believe it got closed and/or deleted after personal attacks and flaming.
Ha! I remember that thread! That OP was totally fine with what happened and said he/she typically runs to empty. Everyone else here flipped out. What a world we live in.

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
... I have come around to the thinking that they are either:
1) Horribly calibrated sensors
2) Purposefully large reserve since you can be off-roading in the middle of nowhere and need a larger reserve.
Could this be related to FCA wanting to keep the fuel pump submerged by gas to keep it from overheating? I'm not sure if the fuel pump is in the tank in the wrangler, but on my motorcycle they said never run below 1/2 gallon or your fuel pump will overheat.

Cody6597

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have a four-door and I’ve never been able to get more than 17 gallons in the tank. Really surprised it’s 21 gallon capacity.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Another thread on this topic also said that some Jeep engineer mentioned that with the way these fuel tanks are designed there’s about 1 gallon in that tank that you won’t be able to use.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
ALL vehicles have a reserve capacity, it’s not a “Jeep thing” and has nothing to do with off-roading. See this link: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th.../chart-details-how-far-you-can-drive-on-empty
Article’s from 2016 but it claims Wrangler’s reserve is 2.8 gallons. Seems about right in my experience.

Also, your gauge isn’t completely accurate. Or at least not linear in how it displays anyway. Ever notice that the full “half” of the tank is consumed much slower than the empty “half”? This isn’t your imagination, it’s designed that way intentionally as well. It’s a psychological trick. If you filled up and drove 20 miles home and noticed that the needle has dropped you feel like you’re getting horrible mileage. You can fill it to about 1 to 2 gallons below actually completely full and the needle will still show a full tank, but it’ll start to decrease quicker once you start driving. Use this information the next time you return a rental vehicle. ;)

RMojitoJL

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon *Mojito*, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude, 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Occupation
Loan Officer
Vehicle Showcase
I have put almost 20gals in mine before 19.-- I have a 4dr Rubicon. Believe 21.5 is actual capacity

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Once at a half-tank you are EMPTY in my book. Fill up at 1/2 tank and never worry about running out of gas......
This doesn’t make sense. You’ll visit the fuel pump about twice as often as if you just filled up near empty. Extra trips to the pump waste fuel... even if it’s a minute amount, just the amount it takes to pull into and out of the station, it’s still a waste.

It would be like having to pee, walking to the bathroom, peeing half of it out, pinching it off, walking back to the party, then 15 minutes later walking to the bathroom again and peeing the rest out. Or you could just drain it all at once and make one fewer trip.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
This doesn’t make sense. You’ll visit the fuel pump about twice as often as if you just filled up near empty. Extra trips to the pump waste fuel... even if it’s a minute amount, just the amount it takes to pull into and out of the station, it’s still a waste.

It would be like having to pee, walking to the bathroom, peeing half of it out, pinching it off, walking back to the party, then 15 minutes later walking to the bathroom again and peeing the rest out. Or you could just drain it all at once and make one fewer trip.
I do love the analogy, OR you could say you are on your last BEER and you think you will finish it then order another. You finish your beer, then order another and find out the bar is closed!! Seriously, I know its more trips for gas, but its peace of mind for me. Not having to worry about running out of gas. I ran out of gas once in my life and I swore I would never do that again.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I do love the analogy, OR you could say you are on your last BEER and you think you will finish it then order another. You finish your beer, then order another and find out the bar is closed!! Seriously, I know its more trips for gas, but its peace of mind for me. Not having to worry about running out of gas. I ran out of gas once in my life and I swore I would never do that again.
Hahaha I feel you, it happened to me once in my TJ, luckily only a few blocks from a gas station so not too painful!

My old YJ had a 20 gallon tank so I’m really missing that range :movember:
Sponsored