Sponsored

Ocean Blue: black or body-colored top & fenders?

For Ocean Blue JLUR specifically, which do you prefer:

• Total voters

snowtx1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
I have the printed fenders with the black top. It was the only one with a manual transmission. I would prefer the painted top, so if anyone wants to trade, I’m in TX.
Sponsored

Parispete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2 Door Rirecracker Red
Occupation
Highway inspector
I just ordered a 2019 JL Rubi and am old school. I went with black hard to and black fenders. I promised to keep it close to stock while it has payments but the black fade and I will change them down the road. I will be buying new wheels and tires the next size wider and dish the wheels a tad more, but it will be one wheel at a time and one tire at a time and man I need 5 each?? I think the same color top and fenders make it look like a Patriot at a glance. Black top black fenders newer gets mistaken for anything but a Wrangler

Thetick18

First Name
Alexandra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler j
I love mine! I have a black top and black fenders. I specifically got it because of the Dodgers

20190623_183125.jpg

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
I’ve got an Ocean Blue JLUR. Painted top and fenders all the way. The black is going to fade and turn gray. God forbid you’re one of the people that tries to wax them, that looks horrendous as it gets older. Black plastic parts look unfinished to me. Minority opinion I suppose.
Thanks!!! That good to know about the black fenders fading.

Sponsored

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
I have the painted fenders and painted hardtop. picked up a soft top so in the summer so I get the black roof which breaks up the metallic blue in the summer sun, in winter im all blue which isn't overpowering because there are not Many bluebird days. I think this paint looks awesome on overcast days which is basically December to March in New England.

Figured if I really hated the painted top I wouldn't have a difficult time selling mine on the forum.

Good Luck with your decision.

OP
OP
joshg

joshg

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab, Tesla Model S P90DL, Audi R8 V10 Spyder 6MT
Here are the two different tops on the same Jeep

EB386890-A4F4-483A-A87F-D84185F834EA.jpeg

3398C51C-D621-4D02-B6D2-7DD0F33F34DA.jpeg
Wow, that's beautiful in either top. Nice job!

Off-topic a bit, but how have you found the difficulty in installing and removing the soft top?

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
Wow, that's beautiful in either top. Nice job!

Off-topic a bit, but how have you found the difficulty in installing and removing the soft top?
The first time putting it on required patience and YouTube videos. I then waited months before putting hardtop back on. Had to go back to the install video to remember how.

Now after doing it 2 times I bet I could change from one top to the other in less than 20 minutes.

To remove the soft top you need 2 people. It’s not that heavy just awkward

OP
OP
joshg

joshg

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab, Tesla Model S P90DL, Audi R8 V10 Spyder 6MT
The first time putting it on required patience and YouTube videos. I then waited months before putting hardtop back on. Had to go back to the install video to remember how.

Now after doing it 2 times I bet I could change from one top to the other in less than 20 minutes.

To remove the soft top you need 2 people. It’s not that heavy just awkward
Thanks. After living with both of them, if you were re-ordering today would you order the soft top again or just live with the freedom panels and ability to go topless when desired?

Sponsored

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
Thanks. After living with both of them, if you were re-ordering today would you order the soft top again or just live with the freedom panels and ability to go topless when desired?
That’s a great question. If I were trying to save cash I’d roll with the hardtop only however it really depends on where you live. I’m in MN and it can rain at any time so I really like the softop option as going completely topless on iffy days would bug me. I only put the hardtop on because I’m having the windows tinted this week and wanted installer to match all three. Otherwise I’d have the soft top on all summer. Frankly for my situation I shouldn’t have gotten the hardtop as I don’t plan on driving it in the winter. I do however have The Toplift Pro so switching tops is that much easier.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
I do however have The Toplift Pro
So Jim, how do you like the Top Lift Pro? It looks like a pricier option than the different types of ceiling hoists, but it also looks like it would be easier to use, especially when putting the top back on. To me the beauty of the removable Freedom Top only comes into play if you have a quick and easy method of removing and installing your hard top by yourself!

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
Love the blue/blue combo. Very eye catching. I install the soft top for the summer, so I get the contrast look for a couple of months, but the solid look for the rest. This is a crappy picture after I first picked it up, but still.

43488285841_c513fc62af_o.jpg

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
So Jim, how do you like the Top Lift Pro? It looks like a pricier option than the different types of ceiling hoists, but it also looks like it would be easier to use, especially when putting the top back on. To me the beauty of the removable Freedom Top only comes into play if you have a quick and easy method of removing and installing your hard top by yourself!
TLP is worth every penny. Resale is also very good. Top comes off in a snap. Very stable and can park under the top when you pull into garage. I would recommend.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
I went painted fenders and top because I feel blue and black clash. I wouldn't do black wheels on a blue car either.
Sponsored