Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
Design Development Manager
Im in the same basket.. Havent taken delivery of the car yet but just spoke to a guy selling a set of the Nitto ridge grapplers this afternoon and he has 4 but checking on monday if he has 5.. the 295/70/17 size which is 34.something inch

Nittos website say the tyre suits rim width of 7.5 to 10 inches and the stock rubicon wheel if its the same as the Americans and not dumbed down for us is also 7.5" wide i believe.. so it should be sweet.
I had the same idea, nitro ridge grapplers, 34"... what I found might be an issue with the stock rims is backspacing, because the nittos are wider, they will have less.... it took me a bit of searching but I found rim specs that retain stock backspacing and doesn't increase the trackwidth past legal... I am travelling but when I get home I will share...

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
I had the same idea, nitro ridge grapplers, 34"... what I found might be an issue with the stock rims is backspacing, because the nittos are wider, they will have less.... it took me a bit of searching but I found rim specs that retain stock backspacing and doesn't increase the trackwidth past legal... I am travelling but when I get home I will share...
Yeah i've read a few posts in these forums from the American guys... From what i gather these tyres should be fine on stock rim in terms of everything..

They actually only come in at just over 33" in diameter. Im committing to the buy tomorrow for the tyres.. Already found a buyer for my stock tyres as well which is good.

Either way, i'm hoping i'll know how they sit next early next month when i hope my car arrives... =/

JJames

First Name
Jomesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Evoque
I took delivery of my Rubicon at Jeep Knox yesterday. Initial thoughts:-
Cons:

- The steering/handling: It is a bit hard to get it to stop wandering in the lane (the steering itself is light) & takes time to get used to: I was driving a Range Rover Evoque before, so the transition was close to shocking. It needed more than usual steering inputs to make sure it stayed in the lane.
- Wind noise/pressure: Is "noticeable", but got better as I got used it, and by the 3rd & 4th time it was close to being "acceptable" with the music turned on.
- Mud tyres: Expectedly louder, but was less of a problem than I had initially thought. And probably adds to/causes the steering wandering, not sure.

Pros:
I haven't yet taken it off-roading (probably will do over the weekend), but otherwise:

- Awesome Looks.I'm totally in love with this beast.
- Adaptive Cruise control: is awesome, makes driving on the highway a lot less of a toil.
- Feature rich: All the cool techs (that comes in other cars of the same price) such as Apple car play, Heated seats/steering, blind spot detection etc all makes the Wrangler cabin a desirable place to be in.

oliver8

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Landrover Discovery3
I took delivery of my Rubicon at Jeep Knox yesterday. Initial thoughts:-
Cons:

- The steering/handling: It is a bit hard to get it to stop wandering in the lane (the steering itself is light) & takes time to get used to: I was driving a Range Rover Evoque before, so the transition was close to shocking. It needed more than usual steering inputs to make sure it stayed in the lane.
- Wind noise/pressure: Is "noticeable", but got better as I got used it, and by the 3rd & 4th time it was close to being "acceptable" with the music turned on.
- Mud tyres: Expectedly louder, but was less of a problem than I had initially thought. And probably adds to/causes the steering wandering, not sure.

Pros:
I haven't yet taken it off-roading (probably will do over the weekend), but otherwise:

- Awesome Looks.I'm totally in love with this beast.
- Adaptive Cruise control: is awesome, makes driving on the highway a lot less of a toil.
- Feature rich: All the cool techs (that comes in other cars of the same price) such as Apple car play, Heated seats/steering, blind spot detection etc all makes the Wrangler cabin a desirable place to be in.
Looks nice! Waiting for my jlur ordered in feb , Does it come with traditional steering knuckles or booted cvs on the front? Can you post a pic of the back , looking to see if the numberplate is mounted in the centre ,and if so how they are going to mount the tow hitch .Im annoyed they didnt give a trailer wiring option as apparently it is an extensive job to do after.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Looks nice! Waiting for my jlur ordered in feb , Does it come with traditional steering knuckles or booted cvs on the front? Can you post a pic of the back , looking to see if the numberplate is mounted in the centre ,and if so how they are going to mount the tow hitch .Im annoyed they didnt give a trailer wiring option as apparently it is an extensive job to do after.
The Rubicon comes with knuckles, and they are beefier than they were on the JK. The booted CVs are only on the Sahara or Moab with SelecTrac (In the US, anyway. I'm not sure if Selectrac is available in AUS.)

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
The rear plate is mounted in the middle hanging down blocking the hitch mounting position.. You can see this in the video Supaman posted on Page 12 of this thread. He shows it quite clearly.

I was going to cut the hanging bit of the rear bar off and put the plate on a hinge if that would work (not sure how legal that is, but if you are towing something, you cant see the plate anyway if its flipped up. Im sure its not legal because its not permanently mounted in place) but when you look at the American rear bar compared to ours... the rear plate mount needs to be almost completely removed on our model and plate relocated elsewhere.... We can get a hitch easy enough from the states and could look at the Hayman Reese universal wiring harness kit which should work fine.

The issue we have is.. Do we buy everything now and hope we can McGyver it without to much effort... or get the car, work it out then wait even longer for the hitch to arrive.. Or..... just buy and after market rear bar and mount the plate somewhere else anyway..

I really wish Jeep Aus thought this through better... surely they knew people would want to tow with their new wrangler.

As for moving the plate to a new location.. looks like that is fine as long as its visible as stated by the rules here (at least for NSW)

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/registration/plates-labels.html
https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/roads/safety-rules/standards/vsi-58-number-plate-visibility.pdf

oliver8

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Landrover Discovery3
were you on the highway when that happened?

When my rubicon comes in, im driving it straight to the shop where im going to Paint protection film the entire car and also put windscreen protection film on as well.... Cracked windows is something i rather try to avoid on this car... =/
The rear plate is mounted in the middle hanging down blocking the hitch mounting position.. You can see this in the video Supaman posted on Page 12 of this thread. He shows it quite clearly.

I was going to cut the hanging bit of the rear bar off and put the plate on a hinge if that would work (not sure how legal that is, but if you are towing something, you cant see the plate anyway if its flipped up. Im sure its not legal because its not permanently mounted in place) but when you look at the American rear bar compared to ours... the rear plate mount needs to be almost completely removed on our model and plate relocated elsewhere.... We can get a hitch easy enough from the states and could look at the Hayman Reese universal wiring harness kit which should work fine.

The issue we have is.. Do we buy everything now and hope we can McGyver it without to much effort... or get the car, work it out then wait even longer for the hitch to arrive.. Or..... just buy and after market rear bar and mount the plate somewhere else anyway..

I really wish Jeep Aus thought this through better... surely they knew people would want to tow with their new wrangler.

As for moving the plate to a new location.. looks like that is fine as long as its visible as stated by the rules here (at least for NSW)

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/registration/plates-labels.html
https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/roads/safety-rules/standards/vsi-58-number-plate-visibility.pdf
Yes all these things have gone through my mind too , i know the mopar hitch and wiring loom is going to cost nearly as much as a new rear bar with hitch incorperated in it.Also looking at you tube vids the mopar wiring kit takes a while too fit and you have too pull your new jl apart front to back to fit it .I wonder what the dealers are going to charge for that! I have ordered a teraflex lift with 3.3 shaocks , i know the rear track bar mount wont fit ,that dosnt worry me as its a 2.5 inch lift and can get away without it .But and a big but! I have found out the left front remote resevoir interferes with the aux battery so now have to shift it or change front shocks. Bugga .They are on the boat now so no turning back . I guess the smart thing to do was wait , but i am frustrated and impatient to get it and start to incramentaly ruin it . Glad to hear the jlu Rubicon has front knuckles , also adaptive cruise is a bonus!

oliver8

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Landrover Discovery3
The Rubicon comes with knuckles, and they are beefier than they were on the JK. The booted CVs are only on the Sahara or Moab with SelecTrac (In the US, anyway. I'm not sure if Selectrac is available in AUS.)
Yes i hope they come with knuckle , i have seen photos of a jl rubicon in Australia with cvs , I hope it was a prototype, i have not had conformation from any one with a new Rubicon in Australia one way or another. I asked a dealer to look for me , he text me back saying ' no its not an indipendant front end ' Big help he was !!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yes i hope they come with knuckle , i have seen photos of a jl rubicon in Australia with cvs , I hope it was a prototype, i have not had conformation from any one with a new Rubicon in Australia one way or another. I asked a dealer to look for me , he text me back saying ' no its not an indipendant front end ' Big help he was !!
Lol, car salesmen sound about the same on your side of the planet! I wonder if the AUS version of the Rubi has the option for SelecTrac? Otherwise, it would make no sense, especially down there where they'll be put to the test like few other places. Honestly, unless that is an option, I just can't see them making such a glaring mistake when in so many other ways they got this vehicle so right. Are there parts of AUS that see much snow? Snow and ice are really the main reason for Selectrac. That's where it really shines. Otherwise, I just don't see the point in it.

Sponsored

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
Yes all these things have gone through my mind too , i know the mopar hitch and wiring loom is going to cost nearly as much as a new rear bar with hitch incorperated in it.Also looking at you tube vids the mopar wiring kit takes a while too fit and you have too pull your new jl apart front to back to fit it .I wonder what the dealers are going to charge for that! I have ordered a teraflex lift with 3.3 shaocks , i know the rear track bar mount wont fit ,that dosnt worry me as its a 2.5 inch lift and can get away without it .But and a big but! I have found out the left front remote resevoir interferes with the aux battery so now have to shift it or change front shocks. Bugga .They are on the boat now so no turning back . I guess the smart thing to do was wait , but i am frustrated and impatient to get it and start to incramentaly ruin it . Glad to hear the jlu Rubicon has front knuckles , also adaptive cruise is a bonus!
so what you are saying is that it wont be as simple as buying a full suspension setup from the states and importing it over here as some parts front and rear wont work? =/

oliver8

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Landrover Discovery3
so what you are saying is that it wont be as simple as buying a full suspension setup from the states and importing it over here as some parts front and rear wont work? =/
Teraflex has not yet made track bar adjustment brackets for the right hand drive jlu but as for other bands im not sure .Their remote resevoir on their 3.3 shocks is mounted directly to the body unlike most other shocks which are on a flexable tube so have variable mounting points so can be mounted elsewhere. Most kits arround 2-2.5inch will be fine as track bar adjustment in not needed .

JJames

First Name
Jomesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Evoque
Meanwhile, I was quoted $4600odd for the Mopar 2” lift at the Dealership. I felt that was a bit steep, what are your thoughts?

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
There’s been this discussion about selec-trac on export Rubicons many times on here. i’m in the UK and have a RHD JLUR. We get the 4 hi auto/selec-trac and the 4:1 rock-trac transfer case and yes that means we get the CV joints too. As I understand it all export Rubicons get this set up.

oliver8

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Landrover Discovery3
Meanwhile, I was quoted $4600odd for the Mopar 2” lift at the Dealership. I felt that was a bit steep, what are your thoughts?
My teraflex 2.5 sport lift ,with 3.3 falcon adjustable shocks cost $3700 (not fitted)$4600 sounds steep as the mopar lift as far as i can tell dosnt include castor correction arms , From most reviews the mopar lift gives a nice ride, fox shocks are apparently valved the same as the stock shocks .Have you tried any of the Australian jeep aftremarket suppliers?
Sponsored