Sponsored

Loose Steering is NORMAL for the JL

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Was registering on the My Jeep app and this came up. Was told it was a campaign and not a recall. Supposed to replace the steering dampner with a more beefy model. Anyone had this done yet? My steering isn't what I would call loose. There is slight play but not much.

Screenshot_20190624-133926.png
Can you click on the icon next to V41, download the PDF, and upload it to this thread?
Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

M JEEPN

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL
It is a common fact at this point that some JL's have a steering issue. I was unlucky enough to be one of those. I am old enough to have driven many different vehicles including old worn out trucks, and yes Jeeps, and know the steering was not right. It took 4 appointment and 30 days in the shop to get it repaired. First time of course the dealer told me "its a Jeep thing, its how they steer", and did an alignment. The second they re-torqued all linkage. The third visit they replaced the steering damper and front track bar. On the 4th trip in, the dealer changed out the steering gear box. Called me and said that gear box was also bad, so they had to order another. With the second gear box installed the issue has finally been resolved. It made a world of difference. You can drive it without constantly fighting to keep it on the road. It is now what it should be, fun to drive.
Those of you that do not have this issue with your JL, your fortunate to not go through this hassle.

marjamr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I don't know if this has been addressed, sorry if I missed it. But, does the model make a difference? When we bought our JL Sport S, it drove fine but we did a road test in a Sahara to see if we would be happier with a hard top. We didn't pick the Sahara, the dealer just had it gassed and ready for test drives and it had the hard top. It definitely drove different and my wife hated it, said the steering was just wrong - whatever that means. I see a lot of posts where people say my 50K or higher Jeep shouldn't drive like this, so I was assuming they had Sahara or Rubicons. I know the Sahara has 18" wheels and the Rubicon has a different set altogether. We did air ours down from the mid 40's to about 35 psi and it drives even better.
Just my 2 cents but when taking test drives at the dealership, it’s good to keep in mind that the tires of that brand new vehicle are probably vastly over inflated. This is very typical of new cars. The last several new vehicles I have purchased have had this issue including my 2018 Wrangler JL Sport. Over inflated tires definitely make a difference in how the vehicle handles. Just an observation.

marjamr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
This is also my first Jeep. I have had lots of cars and trucks before. I noticed the steering was loose right away. Lots of little adjustments to keep it straight. But it's not terrible to the point where it detracts from my driving experience.

There is a huge difference in steering between a Wrangler and my friends Fiesta ST for example. I drove that and moving that steering wheel a tiny bit makes the car dart to that side, where same amount of movement would not make any difference in steering direction in the Jeep haha. Same was the case with my 3 series ZHP. I just assumed it's the nature of the Jeep setup. If it gets worse I will take it in, but for now I just enjoy it because it's so different than those previous cars I've had.

Sponsored

Milk Money

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S (previously 2008 JKU Sahara, 1998 TJ Sport)
Occupation
Engineer at GM
Vehicle Showcase
Can you click on the icon next to V41, download the PDF, and upload it to this thread?
If I'm reading that right, it's probably a campaign related to the bad stabilizers built before date code 320 - the 1819000004 Star case.

Milk Money

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S (previously 2008 JKU Sahara, 1998 TJ Sport)
Occupation
Engineer at GM
Vehicle Showcase
Incidentally, I took my Jeep back to the dealership today. Gave them Star case 1819000003, and they immediately took it out for a drive. There was a note on their screen that the case was updated recently - end of May (I forget the exact date). It mentions the steering stabilizer on the last page in addition to the track bar.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
If I'm reading that right, it's probably a campaign related to the bad stabilizers built before date code 320 - the 1819000004 Star case.
V41 is dated June 2 2019. Star case # S1819000004 is dated Jan 31 2019. But you are most likely correct that it was elevated up one level from a Star Case to a Customer Satisfaction notification. Probably due to the quantity and publicity and maybe even the JK class action lawsuit - CYA type of thing.

fdavid

First Name
Fran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
It needs to be said, although I can already feel the conflict that my comments will generate. So be it.

I’ll try to be brief as possible.

If you feel your Jeep is not safe to drive or has some other issue than loose steering, this doesn’t apply to you. Get your Jeep into service.

Now about that loose steering...

Tight steering on a Jeep means certain death. Hit a bump at high speed and watch what happens to the steering wheel with those live axels. Loose is good.

For off-road, you need power to turn the wheels on obstacles and more precise control to not fall off a cliff. Loose is good.

This is why Jeep designed the gearing ratios in the box to be loose.

Now for the wandering...

All cars wander do to road crown and imperfections and wind. You might notice it much more in a Jeep since bigger steering corrections are needed because the steering is loose. Also WIND (The Jeep is an aerodynamic train wreck.). Watch any driver in any car and you will see them making constant corrections, just smaller. This is normal.

Maybe you don’t agree. That’s fine, but my family has owned four JLs so far (2018 and 2019), and I’ve driven many more. They are all the same with loose steering.

Enough of this. Unless you have some other issue beyond “loose steering,” go drive your Jeep. Enjoy the loose steering! It will keep you awake and having fun while the rest of the regular car drivers are half asleep.

fdavid

First Name
Fran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
JLs have loose steering but JKs do not thats the problem.

Sponsored

FirecrackerRedJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I test two different JL's before buying mine. NO LOOSE STEERING! The one I bought (which wasn't one that I test drove) has loose steering. I had two JK's no loose steering. Congrats to you that you had ones with no issues. But all of these people that comment that it is normal obviously have no right to tell the people that do have issues that they need to just run it. SHUT UP!
haha this guy!! :LOL: