Sponsored

Bike hitch mounts

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
I liked my 1up so much, I bought a second one.

The new one is a single, super duty in black.
Sponsored

PunKin

First Name
Pj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (SOLD)
Occupation
Growth Engineering Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Are you able to fully use your tail gate? Also, I see that you have 37" tires.. does the rack clear that as well? Thanks!
I got weird set up.. no spare, no backseat. I can open up tail gate when bikes are not mounted.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
There are some other threads on this with a bunch of suggestions.

I have a Hollywood racks hitch mount that does 2 bikes with a 2 bike add on. Itโ€™s heavy and a little clunky but itโ€™s a great value.

29353663-D82C-4467-82EB-6F64A080BAA2.jpeg

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Also, if just you, you can get your bike in back of Jeep w back seats down.

Sponsored

LTZ470

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep 392
Hollywood SR1 or SR2 Tire Mount Bike Rack, had one for years use it 10X's more then my hitch mount...quick easy on easy off easy store...carries two bikes with ease lock them to your tire...

Open and close tail gate with ease...SR1 is what I have used for years...fantastic rack for quick trips...it also easily fits inside the Jeep rear if you take it off at the car wash, folds flat...

https://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Racks-SR1-Spare-2-Bike/dp/B000QJDFMK

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
FWIW, if you're riding a carbon fiber bike, the general consensus is to avoid getting a bike rack which makes contact with the frame. Since I'm riding a carbon fiber mountain bike, I got myself a Kuat Transfer which holds the bike by the tires.

If money were no object, the 1UP is definitely the way to go. Unfortunately, it's a hard sell for Canadians due to the shipping and exchange rate.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Another thing to remember about the 1up, if I'm not mistaken, is that it doesn't require a hitch pin. Not a big deal on our jeeps where the hitch is easy access, but if you ever get a car where you put a hidden hitch on, this could be huge. I used to have to lay on the ground and semi crawl under my WRX to get the pin in, and then again to unlock it - had I known I would have bought the 1up!

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
So knowing just how far to slide the Kuat Transfer 2 into the receiver to get the pin hole to align is a bit of a guessing game, and it's kinda awkward.

Once in place I took my Hackzall and just nicked their Al insert so I have a visual line for the future

IMG_20190623_093520128.jpg

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I just ordered the Kuat Transit 2 because it was one that was 1) relatively affordable (maxing your budget here) and 2) I could confirm it would accept the 3.0s on my plus bike.

You'll need a hitch extender to play nice with the spare, and forget about opening the rear while the rack is in.

I now have a plan to custom fab a way to lower the rack a bit and have it drop out of the way - of course more expensive racks will do this for you, but while they'll clear liftgates on SUVs and cute-utes I dunno if any drop enough to allow our gates to swing open
Quoting myself here 'cause I finally got around to this. First, I kinda lucked out 'cause I stumbled upon this adjustable ball mount being clearanced at my TSC for $10. It was clearance because the actual slider tube and balls were missing, but I knew it'd get me going in the direction I had in my BAD (that's Brain-Aided-Design) and was worth $10 for me to not have to slap some 2.5" square together at a right angle.

I cut out the back wall (pic) and added a second hole higher up. If I pull the higher pin the whole thing drops down and I again got lucky 'cause on level ground at least the tailgate JUST clears my mtn bike.

This is all pre-paint on my booty fab but the pics are pretty self explanatory.

Now I get to be the poseur with the green Jeep and bike with green accents to match (sigh)

IMG_20190623_101149921.jpg

IMG_20190623_095841185.jpg

IMG_20190623_095931375.jpg

IMG_20190623_095954685.jpg

IMG_20190623_095808602.jpg

Sponsored

Krawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Quoting myself here 'cause I finally got around to this. First, I kinda lucked out 'cause I stumbled upon this adjustable ball mount being clearanced at my TSC for $10. It was clearance because the actual slider tube and balls were missing, but I knew it'd get me going in the direction I had in my BAD (that's Brain-Aided-Design) and was worth $10 for me to not have to slap some 2.5" square together at a right angle.

I cut out the back wall (pic) and added a second hole higher up. If I pull the higher pin the whole thing drops down and I again got lucky 'cause on level ground at least the tailgate JUST clears my mtn bike.

This is all pre-paint on my booty fab but the pics are pretty self explanatory.

Now I get to be the poseur with the green Jeep and bike with green accents to match (sigh)

IMG_20190623_101149921.jpg

IMG_20190623_095841185.jpg

IMG_20190623_095931375.jpg

IMG_20190623_095954685.jpg

IMG_20190623_095808602.jpg
Nice work! I'm a big fan of Kuat's racks as well. I just bought the Hi-Lo to use as an extension as well as a way to lower the bike rack (2" lift kit going on).
https://www.kuatracks.com/products/accessories/

I'm also probably going to order Kuat's pivot that swings out away from the spare tire allowing access to the rear cargo area.
https://www.kuatracks.com/products/hitch/pivot/

I've had the Sherpa rack for 4 years now and it's been rock solid. So, yeah, I'm a Kuat fan.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
One final thing I did for the male tube that actually slides into the Jeep factory receiver is to tack in a 5/8-18 nut on each side, then I install a short 5/8 bolt on each side to eliminate any slop or wobble. It works like a charm.

This means I need to have a 15/16" socket and ratchet at the ready, but that's no big deal - Kuat expects you to keep a 19mm wrench for their threaded pin anyhow, so it's not like any of this was ever supposed to be tool-free

IMG_20190623_105108100_LL.jpg

IMG_20190623_105117355.jpg

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yeah, that Pivot is....massive....and a helluva lever arm when open. It probably works great but I wasn't sold, that's just me.

Last I saw pricing on the hi/low was $50? I hope they're using Ti ;) Swing by a local votech and ask 'em if their first semester students will slap some 2" sq on top of 2" sq for you LOL

edit: it would actually be 2.5" sq on top and receiver tubing is technically a thing unto itself with a particular w.t. (about .218" IIRC) but even so generally sells for $10/ft

sprayingmango

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Moab
Occupation
Teacher
I'm a cyclist & racer, have used Kuat racks for many years. For my Jeep I got the Kuat Pivot swing arm and NV 2.0 rack. Works perfectly! The Pivot has two different holes in it and puts it away from my spare tire the perfect amount. When it's folded it flat with no bike on it there is still about 2" of space between the rack and spare, even with my 37" Maxxis Razr back there.

**EDIT: I forgot to mention that to anyone that buys the Pivot swing arm. It comes with a release handle that points straight up and it will not allow you to fully secure it. You need to call Kuat and order the low profile handle (they sent it to me for free) in order to use it with your spare tire on the back. Kuat has the best customer service so they should take care of you.

https://www.kuatonline.com/parts/hitch-mounted/pivot/low-profile-toggle-clamp

UG35JTyl.jpg

aVZdoFxl.jpg

Dawn Patrol

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Saris Freedom 4 bike rack that I love. We transport four bikes so it was kind of necessary. I'll try to remember to post a picture next time we use it.
Sponsored