Sponsored

Aftermarket fixes for wandering and drifting steering??

OP
OP
inn8ive

inn8ive

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara
Occupation
Technical Director
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Y’all. Finally got the RC front LCAs and JKS track bar installed today. Caster is set right at 5 degrees. It feels a bit tighter (could be wishful thinking) but need to take it out on the highway to be sure. Will update in the next couple days after some driving.
Sponsored

clf1024

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2018 JL Sahara
I've got a stock Sahara JL 2019. Bought, and notice tires were @ psi 41, door says 37, but 35 psi seems to be good for folks?! No TPMS alerts?!

TIA!

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (bright white)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Y’all. Finally got the RC front LCAs and JKS track bar installed today. Caster is set right at 5 degrees. It feels a bit tighter (could be wishful thinking) but need to take it out on the highway to be sure. Will update in the next couple days after some driving.
Any feedback yet? I'm hoping no news is good news!

OP
OP
inn8ive

inn8ive

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara
Occupation
Technical Director
Vehicle Showcase
Any feedback yet? I'm hoping no news is good news!
It’s better and more comfortable. Still not perfect. The steering is definitely tighter but still wanders a bit. The alignment shop set the caster to 5, so I really need to extend the LCAs a tad to get them to 6, but just haven’t had the time. Next on the list are new drag links and tie rods. Sucks spending $$$$ on fixing a factory issue.

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
I fixed my steering! No thanks to the Dealer! Unfortunately, it cost me $500 out of pocket. I replaced the drag link with a Synergy and the track bar with a JKS adjustable.

I shouldn't have had to, but I couldn't wait for parts nor have the dealer refuse to replace even though a Star Case exist that says otherwise. I waited over 60 days for the failed drag link tie rod, dealer could not tell me when it would be available. A week ago, the Synergy drag link completely remedied that issue. Yesterday, i replaced the track bar with the JKS. The weak factory bushing is the culprit. The JKS is robust and strong. Absolutely no movement as with the factory.

Everything feels solid, none of the sloshy-swaying. Always felt the axle sway underneath, that is gone. I put 50 miles since yesterday, winding back roads and highway. Tracks straight and the wandering is gone. Any movement left in the wheel is in the steering box and any corrections having to be made I can attribute it to the road surface, but that is normal.

I'm very satisfied with the results! In my case, I only have Rubicon take-off wheel and tires and suspension. So, these two upgrades solved everything to my satisfaction. All that is left is the rear axle knocking and clunking. I have been waiting 74 days for bearings! Beyond ridiculous!

IMG_0759.jpeg

Sponsored

borntostun

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I fixed my steering! No thanks to the Dealer! Unfortunately, it cost me $500 out of pocket. I replaced the drag link with a Synergy and the track bar with a JKS adjustable.

I shouldn't have had to, but I couldn't wait for parts nor have the dealer refuse to replace even though a Star Case exist that says otherwise. I waited over 60 days for the failed drag link tie rod, dealer could not tell me when it would be available. A week ago, the Synergy drag link completely remedied that issue. Yesterday, i replaced the track bar with the JKS. The weak factory bushing is the culprit. The JKS is robust and strong. Absolutely no movement as with the factory.

Everything feels solid, none of the sloshy-swaying. Always felt the axle sway underneath, that is gone. I put 50 miles since yesterday, winding back roads and highway. Tracks straight and the wandering is gone. Any movement left in the wheel is in the steering box and any corrections having to be made I can attribute it to the road surface, but that is normal.

I'm very satisfied with the results! In my case, I only have Rubicon take-off wheel and tires and suspension. So, these two upgrades solved everything to my satisfaction. All that is left is the rear axle knocking and clunking. I have been waiting 74 days for bearings! Beyond ridiculous!

IMG_0759.jpeg
How difficult is this install? Thanks.

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
Only part that sucks is the pitman arm end of the drag link.

I did the RK trackbar and Yeti drag link.... perfect!
Yes, the hardest part is the removal of the tie rod from the pitman arm. A lot of hammering with a pickle fork to separate.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
A Google search pointed me to a post on one of the JK forums - a JK owner fixed wandering by torquing loose bolts on the rear lower control arms. "June 21 2019 - I put new ball joints, drag link, adjusted gearbox, and raised caster (only have a budget boost) a couple of degrees. Brand new 33x11.50 milestar Patagonia tires and it STILL wandered. Finally I put an impact on my rear lower control arms and now it drives like a dream! I put a breaker bar on it but it didn't change anything, so I didn't think that was it. So yo you guys searching for a wander issue fix, tighten the rear lower arms with an impact!" https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jl-tech-242/wandering-jk-fixed-350714-printthread/

Won't hurt to check torque on the rear JL lower control arms just in case. Below are the torque numbers.

Screen Shot 2019-06-22 at 2.44.16 PM.png
Sponsored