Sky One-Touch Top Roof Rack Options

BlackSheepFarm

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler
We recently purchased a 2019 Rubicon with the Sky Top also and have been searching for a safari rack that will allow clearance of the top as it fold open and closed. We will be using our Jeep as our toad vehicle and will pack our Kayaks on the top. My husband's kayak is 98 lbs and mine is 49, and being that the Jeep will essentially be our "Kayak storage unit" the safari rack appeals to us as a good option. I will keep an eye on the Gobi website for the release of a rack that will work. Thank you all for the information!

Rudicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon - Unlimited JL - Ocean Blue!
So, I can confirm that the normal rain gutter rack by Thule does not clear the power top. I have messed with where I put the bars and I have one very far forward and one as far back as it can go and I can open the power top partially (not quite all the way. But, the wind noise with the bar above your head and the top open is not good. Was looking for higher feet for the thule gutter system but they don't make them for the aero bar.... Some systems have higher rain gutter feet with the round bars. Has anyone tried the Yakima HiRise extenders or the Thule High feet? Do they work?

Thanks!

Rudicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon - Unlimited JL - Ocean Blue!
I have parts and pieces of a Rhino Rack on order and should know if it works in a week or so. I bought longer legs, hopefully high enough.
Did the rhino rack work? What parts did you get? Thanks!

Sponsored

Dengar

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Jeep JKU, 2019 JLU Rubicon
Has anyone installed a Gobi Stealth Rack on a Sky One Touch roof yet? Just wondering about the clearance? Crossing my fingers that Gobi releases the powertop rack soon.

RSenese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Has anyone installed a Gobi Stealth Rack on a Sky One Touch roof yet? Just wondering about the clearance? Crossing my fingers that Gobi releases the powertop rack soon.
This will not work. I spoke to Gobi through email because I was just going to settle and buy the current option. Even with the quick release, when folding back down it will not work once the fabric is folded in the back. They are looking to have a new one released soon that will work.

Fingers crossed. My overland build is not an overland until I can put a tent on it!

LOD is looking for a July release.

I can't believe no company has pushed a release for it yet, didn't the sky one touch come out in the middle of 2018, or am I wrong?

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
I'd be curious what the take rate is for the Sky top is? With a base entry cost of $45k, it might not be popular enough yet to merit too much extra investment dollars for manufacturers?

Dengar

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the update. I’ll keep waiting for the release announcement. I’ll have to use my JKU for the summer as my overlander.

Sponsored

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
This will not work. I spoke to Gobi through email because I was just going to settle and buy the current option. Even with the quick release, when folding back down it will not work once the fabric is folded in the back. They are looking to have a new one released soon that will work.

Fingers crossed. My overland build is not an overland until I can put a tent on it!

LOD is looking for a July release.

I can't believe no company has pushed a release for it yet, didn't the sky one touch come out in the middle of 2018, or am I wrong?
Would anyone be willing to publish dimensions of there power top, length, width, and highest point of the folds as it retracts? Unfortunately we don't have one available to us for development, but I have a strong feeling that it will work with our soon to be released Destroyer Sliding Roof Rack!

Dengar

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would anyone be willing to publish dimensions of there power top, length, width, and highest point of the folds as it retracts? Unfortunately we don't have one available to us for development, but I have a strong feeling that it will work with our soon to be released Destroyer Sliding Roof Rack!
Hi LOD Offroad,
I built a little “limbo” style measuring device that is marked off at 1” intervals. This allowed me to get you the exact measurements that are needed for clearance of the power top as it opens/closes. I’ve used the roofs rain gutters as the lower measuring point.

The minimum clearance needed from the top of the roof gutters is 7”. If there are any bolts or hardware that are hanging below that, they will likely rub. So 7.5” of clearance from the bottom of the rack should be ideal.

The part of the roof that retracts is 48.5” wide.

Hope this helps.

- Cory

IMG_5282.jpg

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
Hi LOD Offroad,
I built a little “limbo” style measuring device that is marked off at 1” intervals. This allowed me to get you the exact measurements that are needed for clearance of the power top as it opens/closes. I’ve used the roofs rain gutters as the lower measuring point.

The minimum clearance needed from the top of the roof gutters is 7”. If there are any bolts or hardware that are hanging below that, they will likely rub. So 7.5” of clearance from the bottom of the rack should be ideal.

The part of the roof that retracts is 48.5” wide.

Hope this helps.

- Cory

IMG_5282.jpg
Thats awesome, thanks for the feedback! It seems like the folds are highest during the beginning of the retraction, is that the case or is it that tall during the entire movement?

Dengar

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats awesome, thanks for the feedback! It seems like the folds are highest during the beginning of the retraction, is that the case or is it that tall during the entire movement?
That’s the highest it gets. It kinda goes up and down along the way. Moreso when it opens. Less so as it closes. Here’s a video which shows what I mean.

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
That’s the highest it gets. It kinda goes up and down along the way. Moreso when it opens. Less so as it closes. Here’s a video which shows what I mean.
If you install our floor system or cross members on the top rails of the basket, we should clear your power top by about 1/2". Leaving you with a completely functional power top with the sliding rack in the closed position. You would likely have to close the top to open the sliding rack though. But until I get my hands on a power top, I wont guarantee it... :)
Sponsored