Sponsored

Arizona JL Owners - summer heat getting your engine temps up?

OP
OP
loiacki

loiacki

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
After running 25 minutes at 70MPH today. 38 inch tires at 30psi without re-gearing. 98° outside temps with RPMs averaging around 2,500 my temps stayed between 212-221.

0618191254~2.jpg
I need everyone to stop bragging about their off road pages :angry: :giggle:
Sponsored

wildcat455

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon 2.0L
Occupation
Electronics service technician
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 2.0 turbo.

Seen my coolant temp go as high as 227. Then it cools right back down to 208 when it is hot out. Trans temps high as 210, oil temps 220's. But again, off my ORP.

Coolant temps Normally runs down the highway at 195-205 or so.
Part of their emissions criteria to have the engine run hot for cleaner burn, I am sure.

Doesn't your temp gauge come up in the center screen if you scroll on I think tire pressure, (but could be one of the others)? All your gauges should be individually monitorable from there.

Weird thing with mine is usually when I start it and first get going, my battery voltage is about 14.1, but the Warmer it gets and longer it runs it goes down to 13.5. I think because as the battery heats, the voltage drops, but don't know for certain.

When you take it in to the dealer, they should be able to pull some kind of history on it and let you know if it's ok.

That's about all I got on this.

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
A number of us were offroading for perhaps 12 hours a few weekends back. Temps were in the high 90's and all running the AC, crawling along for about 100 miles in the dirt and dust like this. Visually, the jeep appears to run hot @ around 230 degrees, but as the other state, I believe this is just normal. Personally, I really don't have any fears or concerns about the vehicle, and it's capabilities to operate in high temps.

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
I need everyone to stop bragging about their off road pages :angry: :giggle:
re: ORP there's a new update that was released a couple weeks ago.

Option 1: Download the software from the uconnect website and install it yourself (pretty easy to do, and that's what I did), it takes about 30 minutes.

Option 2: Take it to the dealership and wait 5 hours for a call back, then they'll call you and said something went wrong and they'll need to keep the vehicle for 2 nights.

re: temps - who keeps an eye on temps anymore? :CWL:

OP
OP
loiacki

loiacki

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
re: ORP there's a new update that was released a couple weeks ago.

Option 1: Download the software from the uconnect website and install it yourself (pretty easy to do, and that's what I did), it takes about 30 minutes.

Option 2: Take it to the dealership and wait 5 hours for a call back, then they'll call you and said something went wrong and they'll need to keep the vehicle for 2 nights.

re: temps - who keeps an eye on temps anymore? :CWL:
There's actually a way I can do it? I will look into that now. This is the first I've heard of it. Even Jeep Cares didn't know what to do and said there was no available update at this time. That was probably last month.

Sponsored

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
OP
OP
loiacki

loiacki

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
Thanks for that link! @jjohnn236_AZ

New JL owner...gonna keep an eye on temps.

But that A/C fan? Crazy loud! Couldn’t order at the crib thru the other day! I’m going to ask thyou dealer about that update others have had done. Hope it’ll make it quieter!

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for that link! @jjohnn236_AZ

New JL owner...gonna keep an eye on temps.

But that A/C fan? Crazy loud! Couldn’t order at the crib thru the other day! I’m going to ask thyou dealer about that update others have had done. Hope it’ll make it quieter!
haha, I was at Taco bell the other day and had to shut it off to order. sounds like an airplane. FYI. mine has all the latest updates and it is still loud.

Sponsored

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
haha, I was at Taco bell the other day and had to shut it off to order. sounds like an airplane. FYI. mine has all the latest updates and it is still loud.
Bummer! I was hoping the update would help! I guess it’ll be good for my diet? Lol!

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
Did you get this figured out? If your temp is going up and down like that I would check your coolant levels.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
The fan update fixed my loud fan. Sorry yours isn't fixed. It should get fixed.

Endless Summer

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 AMG E63S
The fan update fixed my loud fan. Sorry yours isn't fixed. It should get fixed.
Can you detail out the fan update? I have a brand new 2020 and the fan is louder than the Falcon Field airport I live underneath.. Friggin INSANE loud.. Cracks me up... Also - glad I found this thread.. Off to go learn about ORP. :)

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Can you detail out the fan update? I have a brand new 2020 and the fan is louder than the Falcon Field airport I live underneath.. Friggin INSANE loud.. Cracks me up... Also - glad I found this thread.. Off to go learn about ORP. :)
I'm actually surprised there is a "fix" for this. It gets really hot under that hood especially with the 3.6L engines. When the A/C is set to MAX the fan kicks into hyper mode and sounds like a turbine going off. Personally I feel this odd reassurance that it is doing a wonderful job of evacuating the heat when it does that :)
Sponsored