Sponsored

Arizona JL Owners - summer heat getting your engine temps up?

loiacki

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I am having an issue and need to get some feedback from my fellow Arizona JL owners. I think my Rubi is running hot now that the temperatures have risen, but it could be my imagination/paranoia because of a couple recent issues. I had zero problems last summer, but I also didn't monitor the temps like a hawk. Could you guys tell me what your coolant and oil avg/high running temps are? My commute is 26 miles each way, so it takes a bit to get to max temp, but once it gets there it will drop when my RPM's are lower, and go right back up as soon as I accelerate.
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I am having an issue and need to get some feedback from my fellow Arizona JL owners. I think my Rubi is running hot now that the temperatures have risen, but it could be my imagination/paranoia because of a couple recent issues. I had zero problems last summer, but I also didn't monitor the temps like a hawk. Could you guys tell me what your coolant and oil avg/high running temps are? My commute is 26 miles each way, so it takes a bit to get to max temp, but once it gets there it will drop when my RPM's are lower, and go right back up as soon as I accelerate.
While the NC heat isn't as bad, we still get some hot ones and we've had both the Mrs. JL and my LJ off roading on hot days as well. That being said, at normal running temp you should be around that 210 mark. If you are off roading or sitting in stop and go traffic I would expect that to go up a little. Running the AC on Max cooling will cause your radiator fan to sound like a jet engine and really move some air across the engine.

If you are saying that you can actually see your temp drop when you come to a stop and then go back up immediately when you get on the gas, well that seems very odd.

We are heading out your way in less than two weeks and I plan to monitor engine temps as we off road and just regular driving.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
on trails mine gets as high as 240, normal is around 220. on the hwy mine runs around 210 -215

for oil and trans it is also higher than I have seen in the JK or grand Cherokee, but dealership said it's normal here in AZ formthe JL.

rcc1123

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I live in the west valley of Phoenix and was highway cruising (75 mph) in my Sahara 2.0L during our recent 115 degree day and my temperature never rose above the normal (i.e. 50% of gauge mark). Not sure if it's attributable to all of the extra cooling systems on the 2.0 turbo or not.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I live in the west valley of Phoenix and was highway cruising (75 mph) in my Sahara 2.0L during our recent 115 degree day and my temperature never rose above the normal (i.e. 50% of gauge mark). Not sure if it's attributable to all of the extra cooling systems on the 2.0 turbo or not.
just FYI, but the gauge is very vague. I have watched the gauge while also watching the actual temps on the off-road pages and the gauge never moved below half way while the actual temps varied from 200 to 230 degrees coolant temp. while the gauge is a good general indicator if it's above what is set as high operation temps, it is not real accurate if you are trying to keep an eye on things.

Sponsored

OP
OP
loiacki

loiacki

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
just FYI, but the gauge is very vague. I have watched the gauge while also watching the actual temps on the off-road pages and the gauge never moved below half way while the actual temps varied from 200 to 230 degrees coolant temp. while the gauge is a good general indicator if it's above what is set as high operation temps, it is not real accurate if you are trying to keep an eye on things.
Since I'm one of the "lucky" ones who never got the ORP update (and that's a whole 'nother story), I have nothing else to compare it to. However, if everyone's gauge is showing in the 220-230 degree range regularly, then I won't worry as much. It just seemed high to me. I cant find any official operating temp thresholds in the manual or anywhere else.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Since I'm one of the "lucky" ones who never got the ORP update (and that's a whole 'nother story), I have nothing else to compare it to. However, if everyone's gauge is showing in the 220-230 degree range regularly, then I won't worry as much. It just seemed high to me. I cant find any official operating temp thresholds in the manual or anywhere else.
I asked specifically about mine running in that range and was told it's normal for the JL. mine was actually in March when even cooler if that makes you feel any better. per the dealership, if the AC is not running itmwill run warmer. seems counterintuitive to me, but I have tested it out and it does seem to run overall cooler when the AC is on. seems the thermostat and fan kick in sooner or something if the air is on.

Tumbleweed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Auto 3.6L
Mine hasnt moved past the halfway tempature mark on the display cluster in the 1300 miles ive owned it in Phoenix but my engine fan sounds like a damn jet engine if i have the AC running, which is basically always - i need to take it in for the update im just worried it may affect the temps

OP
OP
loiacki

loiacki

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I asked specifically about mine running in that range and was told it's normal for the JL. mine was actually in March when even cooler if that makes you feel any better. per the dealership, if the AC is not running itmwill run warmer. seems counterintuitive to me, but I have tested it out and it does seem to run overall cooler when the AC is on. seems the thermostat and fan kick in sooner or something if the air is on.
Interesting. Well I have my doors off from April - October, so don't run the air often, but would've thought it would blow up. I do recall the fan runs like a jet engine when the AC is on, so it must work really well.

OP
OP
loiacki

loiacki

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Mine hasnt moved past the halfway tempature mark on the display cluster in the 1300 miles ive owned it in Phoenix but my engine fan sounds like a damn jet engine if i have the AC running, which is basically always - i need to take it in for the update im just worried it may affect the temps
Mine typically doesn't cross the halfway mark (except when the hose popped off and coolant went everywhere because the factory forgot to clamp it down) , but I've been watching the temp.

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. Well I have my doors off from April - October, so don't run the air often, but would've thought it would blow up. I do recall the fan runs like a jet engine when the AC is on, so it must work really well.
Test it out sometime. Watch the temp with AC off, then run it with the AC on a while and watch it. I called BS originally when I was told that, but sure enough they were right that it did run cooler sooner when AC was on. I also had massive coolant leaks, thats why i was watching it so close.

OP
OP
loiacki

loiacki

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Test it out sometime. Watch the temp with AC off, then run it with the AC on a while and watch it. I called BS originally when I was told that, but sure enough they were right that it did run cooler sooner when AC was on. I also had massive coolant leaks, thats why i was watching it so close.
I'll try it on the way home tonight.

javelina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB "Saharacon", 2006 Wrangler TJ, 2018 F-150 RCSB 4x4
Same here for us. The fan is a bit noisy with the A/C, but hey, we're in the AZ summer now. :) It's also just as loud on my F-150.

@OP - I'll keep an eye out on the temps too.

OP
OP
loiacki

loiacki

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
So I ran the AC on the way home from work. It was 103° and I averaged around 70mph for about 20 miles. It cooled some when I let off the gas, but it ran just as hot as without the AC - maybe even slightly more. I turned it off when the coolant temp hit 231°. Oil temp was high as well. It’s usually the same or slightly higher than the coolant temp.

If I take my foot off the gas and coast it cools down - It can drop 10+ degrees fairly quickly.

4xnaz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
After running 25 minutes at 70MPH today. 38 inch tires at 30psi without re-gearing. 98° outside temps with RPMs averaging around 2,500 my temps stayed between 212-221.

0618191254~2.jpg
Sponsored