Red Rubicon Recon seat belts wanted for my new JL

KCJLSahara

First Name
BT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL Unlimited
Changed the seatbelts to red. Definitely more involved than I thought, but got through it thanks to the folks on the JLforum.

20190518_110216.jpg

20190517_210501.jpg
Sponsored

Driggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
If you are in CA I would use Seat Belt Restore instead of shipping across the country. Not only are they closer for shipping costs, but they seemed nicer and did better work. Seat Belt Restore just emailed me a promo code:

"20OFF" will get 20% discount on the order, says it expires Nov 12th
If you are in CA I would use Seat Belt Restore instead of shipping across the country. Not only are they closer for shipping costs, but they seemed nicer and did better work. Seat Belt Restore just emailed me a promo code:

"20OFF" will get 20% discount on the order, says it expires Nov 12th
I noticed both “Safety Restore” and “Seat belt restore” both now have a mailing address of 40 Main St, Westfield, MA (10 minutes from me). I’m assuming it’s the same company with two different names.

BosonsGiveHadron

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara Mojito
I am pretty sold on doing this, especially if we can get another 20% off code, I had a question for those that have done it already so I know what to send.

Do the also web the other side of each seat?

Example: Driver's seat i see the left is red but do they web the right side of the seat the buckle goes into or is that not advisable?

KCJLSahara

First Name
BT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL Unlimited
I am pretty sold on doing this, especially if we can get another 20% off code, I had a question for those that have done it already so I know what to send.

Do the also web the other side of each seat?

Example: Driver's seat i see the left is red but do they web the right side of the seat the buckle goes into or is that not advisable?
They reweb the whole seatbelt. Meaning, they remove the old black webbing and completely replace it.

ClemsonWill

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I'm sold as well. This looks really good. Has anyone had any issues with the belts fading? I don't want pink belts!

Sponsored

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
I'm sold as well. This looks really good. Has anyone had any issues with the belts fading? I don't want pink belts!
Not so far for me. Have had them about 6 months now. No visible fading...

ClemsonWill

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Fire Burns, did you do a complete write-up? I searched for it but couldn't find anything.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm a busy dude with 4 kids, but I still have no excuse for completing a full write up. Until I do it, here's a quick bunch of tips:

By far, and its not even close, the biggest tip I would give anyone is to make sure you've got a very good quality 1/2" Torx socket set. The bolts that hold the belt mechanisms to the body/frame use a T50 and those buggers are on RIDICULOUSLY tight!!!. I recommend having a long breaker bar too for added torque. However I more HIGHLY recommend you also use a manual hammer type impact driver set too similar to this to for a couple of reasons - 1) because again these are in hella tight, and 2) because you don't want to strip the Torx head on the bolt.

This is they type of tool I'm referring to:
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-29200-...48717298&sr=8-8&keywords=hammer+impact+driver

I'm not sure I would have finished the job without one of those

Everything else is pretty straightforward, but it all just takes some time. Figure on taking a good 6 to 8 hours on each end (disassembly/assembly). The turn around time at SafetyRestore.com is very fast (couple of days tops), so you won't have to wait for them too long.

Other thing I cant stress enough is on the rear seat upper mounts there are various holes in the body. Once you remove the necessary interior plastic panels they are revealed. This is especially true where roll ball connects to the rear wheel well. Be VERY careful not to drop any bolts or any or the little plastic connectors down in those holes. The holes are completely hidden with the trim panels in place, but you'll be taking much of those panels off, during the conversion. You'll never get anything dropped in them unless you cut into your bodywork. Yes, I had to do that myself to retrieve items that fell back inside. Anyhow, the solution is to shove a rag down there before you start.

Lastly, I only did each of the 4 corner seats. I never converted the rear middle seat. I understand that would mean actual legitimate upholstery work. I didn't want to deal with that at all and I don't feel like I'm missing out by not having it. However, something I didn't do, and perhaps should have it to covert the webbing on the rear seat female buckle portion. Still, its not really a noticeable flaw (except by me), but would have been a nice touch

Good luck, to al that attempt this. I am happy to answer any questions going forward.

David F.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Old thread I know but I wanted to ask if anyone had to disconnect the battery? I was told taking the seat belts out could cause issues if the air bags if the battery were not disconnected. I don't have an issue just disconnecting the battery but I wanted to know because the JL has 2 batteries and I have never messed with the 2nd one...

Thanks.

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
Old thread I know but I wanted to ask if anyone had to disconnect the battery? I was told taking the seat belts out could cause issues if the air bags if the battery were not disconnected. I don't have an issue just disconnecting the battery but I wanted to know because the JL has 2 batteries and I have never messed with the 2nd one...

Thanks.
yes you should disconnect

Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I just posted to another thread on this because when the Recon came out that meant you could order direct from Mopar so I contacted one of the vendor sponsors here and he got me the part numbers but also gave me this info.
Thanks, Here are the part numbers

Front
7CG691R1AA
7CG681R1AA

Rears
7CG811R1AA
7CG921R1AA
7CG801R1AA

The front seatbelts are considered hazmat because they have an explosive tensioner within them so we cannot ship them at this time. We will be hazmat certified within a few months.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks,
-Benny

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
This was before covid happened so they may be available now

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
I just posted to another thread on this because when the Recon came out that meant you could order direct from Mopar so I contacted one of the vendor sponsors here and he got me the part numbers but also gave me this info.
Thanks, Here are the part numbers

Front
7CG691R1AA
7CG681R1AA

Rears
7CG811R1AA
7CG921R1AA
7CG801R1AA

The front seatbelts are considered hazmat because they have an explosive tensioner within them so we cannot ship them at this time. We will be hazmat certified within a few months.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks,
-Benny
most dealers should be able to ship, I had done this exactly on my JK when the recon versions were available and I had them shipped to me no problem by a local dealer, must just be an issue with that specific dealer.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes you should disconnect
I disconnected my battery to do this mod. Safety Restore.com has no problem shipping BTW. They won't be MOPAR, but they will be factory appearance and quality of stitching/belts.
Sponsored