Sponsored

What constitutes a "Jeep thing?"

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Riddle me this Jeep gurus, I've had my Jeep one year next month and the following condition has developed. While driving at highway speeds, if I hit a dip or crack in the pavement the Jeep shudders violently at the right front. It feels like a washboard road or a severely unbalanced tire. It started around three months ago and seems to be getting worse. I still have all my wheel weights and the lugs are tight 130pft. No lift, stock wheels and tires, and no suspension mods. Also had it in last year for the frame weld recall debacle and was told all was well... Is this a Jeep thing? Any ideas before I take it to the dealer?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
A buddy of mine has always had sports cars of some sort, his garage is currently a Focus RS and a S2000. At a recent BBQ where he's the only one without a Jeep, he mentions that he's interested in the JL. I toss him my keys then him and another friend of mine disappear for half an hour. When he gets back he says "it's not very stable under braking." meh.... it's a jeep thing.
"It's not very stable under braking" makes me think he was trying to drive it the same way he drives his S2000... :surprised:

I have a similar story with my old 3.9 Dakota with the 5 speed. A friend of mine needed to borrow my truck, because he only had an Acura RSX and needed to actually move something. He normally heckled me for "Shifting way too early" in my old school pushrod V6 with 3.92 gears.

After he brought it back he was complaining about "How can you drive this thing? You've gotta be in third gear to hit 60."
My Reaction:
giphy.gif

I guess redlining my truck was no issue for him...

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Riddle me this Jeep gurus, I've had my Jeep one year next month and the following condition has developed. While driving at highway speeds, if I hit a dip or crack in the pavement the Jeep shudders violently at the right front. It feels like a washboard road or a severely unbalanced tire. It started around three months ago and seems to be getting worse. I still have all my wheel weights and the lugs are tight 130pft. No lift, stock wheels and tires, and no suspension mods. Also had it in last year for the frame weld recall debacle and was told all was well... Is this a Jeep thing? Any ideas before I take it to the dealer?
not sure if serious.png

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
On to actual Jeep things...

Suddenly getting splashed by water in torrential downpour and having no Idea where it got in from your hard top.

Having all the electronics still working after said splash of water gets on them.

A sudden gust of wind pushing you halfway into the next lane.

Inability for the plastic bumper mud stains to actually clean off in a car wash.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure that's exactly it, actually. We were out in the country along a lot of washboard roads, speed limit is something like 35 mph but I tend to drive 20 mph or slower due to the washboard. When he was coming up it looked to me like he was running 50 mph.
Sounds about right, lol.

zingat

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Jeepster !
Vehicle Showcase
With the arrival of the less-than-stellar, over-priced JL, things are getting cloudy with the difference between what is a Jeep thing and what is a total piece of crap.
... AND YET you purchased a less-than-stellar, over priced JL that's a total piece of crap .... Thats the ULTIMATE Jeep Thing my friend !!!
tenor.gif

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

i test drove JK and JL back to back, a couple of times. JL felt way better. i was planning on buying a JKU for about $28k. wife said it was worthing paying the extra $5k for the JL. she was not impressed with JK.

just passed the 1 year mark. no issues yet (knocks on wood/head).

Sponsored

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
When you get out of it and look back and smile...It's a Jeep thing.
Modifying it...It's a Jeep thing.
Top down, doors off...It's a Jeep thing
Off-roading...Its a Jeep thing

I see a lot of Wranglers that will never be topless, doorless or offroad, and I just wonder why they bought a Jeep, then they complain about wind noise, rough ride, braking, cornering, mpg, and most of the "Jeep things"

Wobble on a new wrangler is not a jeep thing, but it is pretty simple to fix, yes we shouldn't have to, but let's be honest, if you can afford a JL, you can afford the small change to fix it.

Personally when I buy my next one, I am going to negotiate $2000 just to fix steering and make it better.

I will buy this for 8% under invoice because it needs work...I would pay MSRP if it was finished, but it is not, it needs better parts to make it 100%

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
The big wet spot on my knee is a Jeep thing. (Tried juggling a lunch bag in one hand, umbrella in the other, and avoiding the waterfall from the gutter when I opened the door. The waterfall won.)

image.jpg

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
My Acura was "perfect" (comfortable, reliable, smooth, economical) but boring as hell.

My Jeep is a little rough around the edges but has tons of character and fun.

If the second appeals to you, that's "A Jeep thing" and you might understand ;)
Sponsored