General observation.... 75% aluminum body

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
Am I the only one that didn’t realize that the skin of the JL is 75% aluminum? I knew the doors and hood were, but was surprised that the front fenders, cowl, window frame, and A pillar are also aluminum. (killing some time, playing around with a magnet in the garage). The rear tub, B & C pillars and a portion of the rocker is steel.
Sponsored

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
Am I the only one that didn’t realize that the skin of the JL is 75% aluminum? I knew the doors and hood were, but was surprised that the front fenders, cowl, window frame, and A pillar are also aluminum. (killing some time, playing around with a magnet in the garage). The rear tub, B & C pillars and a portion of the rocker is steel.
I did not know all of those things were Al. Thanks for pointing that out. Also, I believe the tailgate is magnesium, or at least parts of it are.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I did not know all of those things were Al. Thanks for pointing that out. Also, I believe the tailgate is magnesium, or at least parts of it are.
The body of the tailgate is cast magnesium, with an aluminum skin.

javelina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB "Saharacon", 2006 Wrangler TJ, 2018 F-150 RCSB 4x4
I think our Jeeps are aluminum alloy...

Beer cans are aluminum.

Aircraft fuselages are made with aluminum alloy. Big diff, and super strong for their weight/strength ratio.

I'm sure a resident metallurgist will step in and correct.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I think our Jeeps are aluminum alloy...

Beer cans are aluminum.

Aircraft fuselages are made with aluminum alloy. Big diff, and super strong for their weight/strength ratio.

I'm sure a resident metallurgist will step in and correct.
Beer cans are about .004” thick aluminum. Pure aluminum is very strong, if it’s thick enough. Even 1/16 of an inch is significantly thicker than a beer can.

http://asm.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=MA7075T6

Aircraft aluminum is mildly alloyed, but it’s still considered aluminum.

Sponsored

javelina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB "Saharacon", 2006 Wrangler TJ, 2018 F-150 RCSB 4x4
Beer cans are about .004” thick aluminum. Pure aluminum is very strong, if it’s thick enough. Even 1/16 of an inch is significantly thicker than a beer can.
Hola, understood. I'm not speaking about thickness. Heck, we could have a 1" thick AL sheet.... When people hear AL, they think in terms of beer cans. I've worked in Aerospace, AL-alloy is awesome.

I'm just trying to clarify. That our Jeeps are made of AL-Alloy, and not straight AL. There is a diff. If you have further info clarifying, please do share. Honest, I'm looking forward to learning more.

gracias!
-Jav

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Hola, understood. I'm not speaking about thickness. Heck, we could have a 1" thick AL sheet.... When people hear AL, they think in terms of beer cans. I've worked in Aerospace, AL-alloy is awesome.

I'm just trying to clarify. That our Jeeps are made of AL-Alloy, and not straight AL. There is a diff. If you have further info clarifying, please do share. Honest, I'm looking forward to learning more.

gracias!
-Jav
Yea all I know is what FCA has put out in press releases, they always just call it aluminum. I’m sure it’s an alloy of some sort, practically everything is.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
The cowl piece is actually plastic. Some of the colours (like my Sting-Gray) show a slightly different shade on this piece. It doesn't bother me, I have decals there.

The amount of non-steel panels means we have limited options for temporarily mounting a CB or ham antenna. The only flat magnetic place is the bolts on the hood hinges.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I heard the motivation for this was to keep vehicle weight as low as possible without sacrificing other things. Perhaps that, the fuel savings it accrues, and the ability to better make the doors mobile played into the mix. : - )

Sponsored

OP
OP
RichD

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
I'm fine the heavy use of aluminum and plastics. I agree that from an engineering standpoint it makes sense. Heck, Teslas are all aluminum. I was just surprised, haven't seen much talk about it.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I just assumed everyone knew. I too took a magnet to the body around the second day of ownership....day 1 was yanking the horrid Rubi sticker off the hood ;)

It would seem I schedule large projects per day, eh? ;)

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I'm fine the heavy use of aluminum and plastics. I agree that from an engineering standpoint it makes sense. Heck, Teslas are all aluminum. I was just surprised, haven't seen much talk about it.
To be honest, I’d never heard of magnetic trail armor before this thread.

The aluminum body of the JL was one of the big marketing points before release.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
We will still have to deal with corrosion, all those dissimilar metals, 12/48 volts, road salt and moisture. How to protect against corrosion, what does Tesla do..
Sponsored