Rear side window just broke

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
It’s not laminated the same way windshield glass is. A crack in these windows will cause the whole thing to shatter, it’s surprising that any of it is still holding together.

Like hell they won’t, this isn’t windshield glass. Trust me, even a cheap single pump BB gun will knock the glass out.

Oh, and the punchline was “MOAB”.
maybe you so be posting on the "mine is better than yours thread"

These windows are designed for punishing use which is why safety glass is used, not to mentioned it is designed to stressed. you make it like this is a habitual problem when this is the first one reported (google it). is it a flawed product maybe time will tell however I would assume they type of glass used was vetted by their engineers and it was tested in stress positions. It is also the SAME top and glass used on Rubicons.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
maybe you so be posting on the "mine is better than yours thread"

These windows are designed for punishing use which is why safety glass is used, not to mentioned it is designed to stressed. you make it like this is a habitual problem when this is the first one reported (google it). is it a flawed product maybe time will tell however I would assume they type of glass used was vetted by their engineers and it was tested in stress positions. It is also the SAME top and glass used on Rubicons.
I’m not saying it’s a habitual problem, I’m saying it looks like it got hit and that’s what the dealership will claim. Also you can’t take a joke.

OP
OP
Schwabe

Schwabe

First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited MOAB
Here you can see just how much air comes through the hole now. Of course it is the path of least resistance but it seems to be a lot of pressure for just lightly closing the door.
I’m not saying it’s a habitual problem, I’m saying it looks like it got hit and that’s what the dealership will claim. Also you can’t take a joke.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Here you can see just how much air comes through the hole now. Of course it is the path of least resistance but it seems to be a lot of pressure for just lightly closing the door.
Try hanging a piece of ribbon in front of it or something. Have the dealership check your tailgate vents for functionality, that seems excessive.

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
That is a lot of movement coming from a back window. Appears to be a design flaw with your particular issue. Sorry this happen and I hope everyone is ok!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Schwabe

Schwabe

First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealership is contacted and the service manager is at least cooperative. We had sent him all the pictures and the video and he tries to cut the process short. Obviously the window won't make it through the drive to the dealership and I don't want to "leave" the car at the dealer ship until the part comes. I asked them to order it no matter what and I deal with whether it is a warranty case or if I have to pay for it.
Does anybody know where the vents are in the JL?
I am still shocked as the rear window hatch is not locked and only held in place by the rear hatch. With the gasket all a round you would think at the very least that would give and let air out before the window blows out. Or who would have though that the canvas sliding roof is air tight??? I even asked my wife if by chance she and my son closed both doors at the same time, maybe just coincidence. But she said he was not even in the car, she was just picking him up.
How is the front windshield that tight??? I mean it is a Jeep, you can take the doors off, fold the windshield down and have a full canvas roof … it just does not make any sense. But I too believe it was a bad pane … has to be … when the new one is in I will add a black American flag decal on both those windows … may add some rigidity ...

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
It’s not laminated the same way windshield glass is. A crack in these windows will cause the whole thing to shatter, it’s surprising that any of it is still holding together.

Like hell they won’t, this isn’t windshield glass. Trust me, even a cheap single pump BB gun will knock the glass out.

Oh, and the punchline was “MOAB”.
I agree with the vehicle glass stuff. Of course you're back (removable) side window on the Power top shouldn't have shatter, but the windshield and side windows are designed--as many know--differently, and shatter differently for safety.

http://www.aplusglasspro.com/windsh...-my-windshield-and-the-other-glass-in-my-car/

I'm sorry for your situation. I hope it's resolved quickly and permanently.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Lights are definitely dim, if not out.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Dealership is contacted and the service manager is at least cooperative. We had sent him all the pictures and the video and he tries to cut the process short. Obviously the window won't make it through the drive to the dealership and I don't want to "leave" the car at the dealer ship until the part comes. I asked them to order it no matter what and I deal with whether it is a warranty case or if I have to pay for it.
I am still shocked as the rear window hatch is not locked and only held in place by the rear hatch. With the gasket all a round you would think at the very least that would give and let air out before the window blows out. Or who would have though that the canvas sliding roof is air tight??? I even asked my wife if by chance she and my son closed both doors at the same time, maybe just coincidence. But she said he was not even in the car, she was just picking him up.
How is the front windshield that tight??? I mean it is a Jeep, you can take the doors off, fold the windshield down and have a full canvas roof … it just does not make any sense. But I too believe it was a bad pane … has to be … when the new one is in I will add a black American flag decal on both those windows … may add some rigidity ...
There are huge vents in the tailgate under the plastics trim piece on the inside. Maybe yours are stuck or installed backwards. You can get to them easily by removing the spare tire carrier.

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
Just tell your wife that you are sorry and it was all your fault. Tell her you will take care of it. You will get the blame anyway because she will not believe you when you tell her it only happens to Moabs;)

Sponsored

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Like others mentioned it could very well be your vents are/were blocked and it was a pressure build up taking the path of least resistance.

However, and this is just another theory, it may be possible that because the power top side panels are removable maybe they don't sit as tight as the normal hard top. This could cause them to vibrate or wiggle while driving, weakening the glass over time until the vibration of the door slam finally broke it.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i still have to go with the rear vents must have flappers inside to keep the weather outside... with that, there is good chance it is in backwards or someone didn't remove packing tape from them in the build line.. when i get home ill crack a window and see if there is remotely as much are coming through window.

LBK454

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I’ll add a possibility to the thread. I have a JK and live on a dirt road. Two years ago the county put down new road base (essentially rocks). As I was driving I came around a sweeping corner about 30 m.p.h. and my 315 tires on 4.5” b.s. wheels kicked up a rock and my rear passenger side window broke, and it looked a lot like yours. When it broke it sounded like a gunshot. Kicking up a rock was the only thing I could think of, no one around for miles. Has never happened again.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
If you remove your spare and spare tire carrier you will see the vents there. I only know this because I had to install a spare tire relocation bracket. I may have taken photos let me check. I hope this helps!

Well I didn’t take photos of it bare, only after I put the relocation bracket on for some dumb reason but you can see the vent though. It’s about as big as the square I drew from what I remember..

61D505CE-2C30-44D5-BFC8-EF305F124303.jpeg

OP
OP
Schwabe

Schwabe

First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you remove your spare and spare tire carrier you will see the vents there. I only know this because I had to install a spare tire relocation bracket. I may have taken photos let me check. I hope this helps!

Well I didn’t take photos of it bare, only after I put the relocation bracket on for some dumb reason but you can see the vent though. It’s about as big as the square I drew from what I remember..

61D505CE-2C30-44D5-BFC8-EF305F124303.jpeg
Yes, I have 35s mounted and also a relocation bracket, had that installed with the lift. Not looking forward to take the spare off... :LOL::lipssealed::LOL:
Sponsored