Sponsored

Who else is in the "I'm waiting until the 2nd model year to buy but it's really hard to wait" club?

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
Yes, how would you sell a three year old JLU in three years and make money on the transaction?

Your minimal original post claimed you'd make money off of owning a new vehicle for three years then selling. Selling for more than your current loan value is not "making money"--it's just not being upside-down in the loan.
Oh well, I’ll leave you to your nitpicking...
OBVIOUSLY no one is gonna MAKE MONEY on a 3 year old mass production car (I’m talking bought at a regular price no crazy unusual discount) , thanks tips !
Just saying (to make it more clear since apparently you’re looking for a way to be right no matter what), that with buying and selling in 3 years one would most likely end up with some money BACK, in their pockets, to be spent... No litteral actual benefits, but money !!!
Never gonna happen with a lease. Ever
Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
OBVIOUSLY no one is gonna MAKE MONEY on a 3 year old mass production car (I’m talking bought at a regular price no crazy unusual discount) , thanks tips !
Just saying (to make it more clear since apparently you’re looking for a way to be right no matter what),
that with buying and selling in 3 years one would most likely end up with some money BACK, in their pockets, to be spent... No litteral actual benefits, but money !!!
Sendin' a massive eyeroll your direction, bud/sport/guy. If you don't want to be called out on shit, don't loudly and brashly post shit. And yes, I don't approve of leases myself. The only benefit they possibly offer in my neck are avoiding taxes. Gonna suck paying 7% sales tax on my JL but oh well.

As a disclaimer, I hope we can have more agreeable and pleasurable experiences in future threads. Cheers.

ALEX-4LO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2020 JLUR - Project JL's
Sendin' a massive eyeroll your direction, bud/sport/guy. If you don't want to be called out on shit, don't loudly and brashly post shit. And yes, I don't approve of leases myself. The only benefit they possibly offer in my neck are avoiding taxes. Gonna suck paying 7% sales tax on my JL but oh well.

As a disclaimer, I hope we can have more agreeable and pleasurable experiences in future threads. Cheers.

I do not know what other way to say this but, ( A lease on a Jeep is a complete LOSER. ) I have tried to see every way possible on how I would win personally on a lease after 2-3 years and there is none! Now I can only talk on my personal reasons why it just does not make sense for me. Maybe your scenario is different and I can see it from your point of view and I might also consider it if it made sense.

The only thing I think people lease vehicles is to get the lower payment upfront. However you still dump a good amount of down payment and throw away the money, for the term of the lease. Than you plan on eventually trading it for a purchase?? It does not make sense....

Last edited:

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Tell me with a straight, unbiased face that Jeep and/or FCA vehicles don't have significantly higher problem rates than other marques.

Do you think Honda Accord forums see as many problems as these things?

I love wranglers, and am a soon-to-be buyer, but it's good to be intellectually honest about these things.
Anecdotal sure, but there's at least 1.5 MILLION problems with accords. Also just checking one model year sedan, there were 6 separate air bag recalls (not all tacata related)...sooo...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2017/07/14/honda-accord-engine-fire-recall/478520001/

I get they are generally reliable, but I'd expect a safe run of the mill sedan to be pretty reliable. Some people at work brag about how cheap they got their car, try to explain "everything that came on it" in the same breath, and how low maintenance it is.

To each their own, but I'd never be driving thinking, this car is awesome reliable! Or be bragging at work about it. Then again I wonder if something like an accord holds value as well?

EDIT: sure, it makes sense to wait a MY in case there are bugs so I totally get that, or waiting for colors, options, editions, etc. This is my first new car, which Im still getting over, lol.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Who knows, maybe the crank windows will fail one year. It must've been humorous to be the (possible) sole mechanical engineer in the auto industry designing a new manual window mechanism in 2016/2017.
Funny, I remember working with my dad on his car windows...manual cranks! Maybe even in my blazer too...I fixed too many things on it to remember all the simple broken parts, lol!

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Just saying (to make it more clear since apparently you’re looking for a way to be right no matter what), that with buying and selling in 3 years one would most likely end up with some money BACK, in their pockets, to be spent... No litteral actual benefits, but money !!!
This statement is completely wrong.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I do not know what other way to say this but, ( A lease on a Jeep is a complete LOSER. ) I have tried to see every way possible on how I would win personally on a lease after 2-3 years and there is none! Now I can only talk on my personal reasons why it just does not make sense for me. Maybe your scenario is different and I can see it from your point of view and I might also consider it if it made sense.

The only thing I think people lease vehicles is to get the lower payment upfront. However you still dump a good amount of down payment and throw away the money, for the term of the lease. Than you plan on eventually trading it for a purchase?? It does not make sense....
Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't make it wrong. there is no reason to turn This into a lease versus buy thread. There are plenty of those.

ALEX-4LO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't make it wrong. there is no reason to turn This into a lease versus buy thread. There are plenty of those.

I never said it's WRONG to lease a vehicle. It just does not make sense for me. Just to clarify your confusion... All power to you and enjoy your lease!:like:

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
This statement is completely wrong.
Why ? Please enlighten me !
I don’t mind being wrong, I just like to know why and learn from it...
Easy to walk around telling people they’re wrong, harder to have and make a point and prove it

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Why ? Please enlighten me !
I don’t mind being wrong, I just like to know why and learn from it...
Easy to walk around telling people they’re wrong, harder to have and make a point and prove it

I'll keep it simple.

Lease a Wrangler with a 68% residual after 3 years.

Buy it out at the end. Sell it for 80% of its original value.

You just got money at the end of a lease.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I never said it's WRONG to lease a vehicle. It just does not make sense for me. Just to clarify your confusion... All power to you and enjoy your lease!:like:
I'm not confused.

You said "a lease on a jeep is a complete LOSER"

Emphasis yours. You seem to use all caps a lot. Please stop shouting.

ALEX-4LO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not confused.

You said "a lease on a jeep is a complete LOSER"

Emphasis yours. You seem to use all caps a lot. Please stop shouting.
I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Your not a loser. You are right I do not know your financial reasons on why you absolutely love those leases. Continue to champion change and knockout that lease when the time comes! :clap:

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
I'll keep it simple.

Lease a Wrangler with a 68% residual after 3 years.

Buy it out at the end. Sell it for 80% of its original value.

You just got money at the end of a lease.
Yeah that’s what I thought, you just wanna be right.
I was talking about a lease. A flat lease, not that kind of transaction... whatever

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yeah that’s what I thought, you just wanna be right.
I was talking about a lease. A flat lease, not that kind of transaction... whatever
You obviously don't know how a lease works.

This is the second time you have run your mouth talking nonsense on this thread and then got salty when you were called on it.

This is not the lease versus buy thread so can we just get back to waiting on a second year model.

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
You obviously don't know how a lease works.

This is the second time you have run your mouth talking nonsense on this thread and then got salty when you were called on it.

This is not the lease versus buy thread so can we just get back to waiting on a second year model.
Run my mouth ?!
I think I’ll just be the bigger man here cause you don’t seem to have that ability; have a nice life

294F703D-4FF8-427D-9140-9F4860861560.jpeg
Sponsored