First Name
Danielle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Moab 2019
Occupation
Hotel Manager
I want to permanently mount my CB radio inside my center console. How do I power the radio?

I have a 2019 JLUM with aux switches. I have a Uniden 520 cb radio that has 1 black and 1 red wire coming from the back of the radio. The only power source inside the center console is a USB port.

I have three powering options and I'm seeking some feedback so I can have a clean install---(no showing wires).
  1. Solder a cigarette lighter plug onto the red and black wires of the CB radio and have that nasty cord run from the console to the dash (yuk)
  2. Hard wire the radio to one of the aux switches and snake the wire under the carpet up to the passenger footwell--uses a precious aux switch
  3. Power the radio with the USB port that's inside the center console (either solder a usb cable to the radio or get a usb-to-cigarette adapter)
I'm hoping I can do #3. Will I burn up my USB port? Will I burn up the CB radio?

I already do it the #1 way and it drives my OCD butt crazy that there's a wire running from the console to the cigarette lighter. #hidethewires

IMG_8478.jpg

View attachment 191791
(edited to show pic of adaptor)

ama.PNG
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
USB port is not a good idea.

Wire it to the battery with fuseson both conductors at the battery

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
The USB port only puts out 5 volts so that won't work, if you piggy back off the wires powering the USB port you may exceed the fuse amp rating.
As Harry said, directly to the battery is your best option. 2nd best may be wired into an accessory port in the fuse box, if one exist.

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I want to permanently mount my CB radio inside my center console. How do I power the radio?

I have a 2019 JLUM with aux switches. I have a Uniden 520 cb radio that has 1 black and 1 red wire coming from the back of the radio. The only power source inside the center console is a USB port.

I have three powering options and I'm seeking some feedback so I can have a clean install---(no showing wires).
  1. Solder a cigarette lighter plug onto the red and black wires of the CB radio and have that nasty cord run from the console to the dash (yuk)
  2. Hard wire the radio to one of the aux switches and snake the wire under the carpet up to the passenger footwell--uses a precious aux switch
  3. Power the radio with the USB port that's inside the center console (either solder a usb cable to the radio or get a usb-to-cigarette adapter)
I'm hoping I can do #3. Will I burn up my USB port? Will I burn up the CB radio?

I already do it the #1 way and it drives my OCD butt crazy that there's a wire running from the console to the cigarette lighter. #hidethewires

IMG_8478.jpg

View attachment 191791
(edited to show pic of adaptor)

ama.PNG
That adapter gives you only 0.8 amps. A typical Uniden CB uses ~1.7 amps for receive