Picking up today - Panicked on what I should cover

First Name
Natasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Hey all!

I am picking up my first jeep today, she just arrived on the lot and while I have spent countless hours reading through as many various threads as possible, I'm panicking a little bit in fear that I will miss something or make a mistake in buying her.

I ordered through one of the recommended dealers list and settled on a price I am happy with.

I've printed out the JL Delivery Checklist: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-delivery-checklist.3453/

I am checking with my bank on what my best financing option would be before I head to the dealership after work today.

What else am I missing? What else should I be asking? I feel like all the confidence I've built up these past few months in my searching and reading has flown out the window now that she's here!

Any and all suggestions and guidance will be greatly appreciaged!
Sponsored

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Ask the dealer what rates they offer. I financed through my credit union and when i went to pick up the JL and was signing the documentation with the finance manager he told me he could have gotten me 0.5% better. No idea if true, but made me wish i had asked them first before going through my CU.

Sting Ray Rubi

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Sting Gray, 2018 Honda Accord
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely test drive it thoroughly. Look it over inside and out, top to bottom. Have dealer check tire pressure, if it is high, which they usually are for shipping, have them adjust pressure to at least the recommended pressure on the inside of your driver's side door.

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Make sure to check your fuses, they’ll most likely not be seated completely (this subject is not included in the check list).

Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Most Jeeps are fine. Having the delivery checklist is a great start! Like @Sting Ray Rubi mentioned, definitely do a thorough test drive including highway to make sure there are no steering issues. I would do that AFTER they check tire pressure so you know over-inflated tires aren't making her ride worse than she should. Not sure what options you ordered but make sure you got everything you ordered.

Congrats! Enjoy your new Jeep and of course pictures are required!

OP
OP
DruidURLookin4
First Name
Natasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Make sure to check your fuses, they’ll most likely not be seated completely (this subject is not included in the check list).
Ah! I remember reading something about that - thank you for triggering that memory for me! I knew I was forgetting something!

OP
OP
DruidURLookin4
First Name
Natasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Definitely test drive it thoroughly. Look it over inside and out, top to bottom. Have dealer check tire pressure, if it is high, which they usually are for shipping, have them adjust pressure to at least the recommended pressure on the inside of your driver's side door.
Most Jeeps are fine. Having the delivery checklist is a great start! Like @Sting Ray Rubi mentioned, definitely do a thorough test drive including highway to make sure there are no steering issues. I would do that AFTER they check tire pressure so you know over-inflated tires aren't making her ride worse than she should. Not sure what options you ordered but make sure you got everything you ordered.

Congrats! Enjoy your new Jeep and of course pictures are required!
The tire pressure and steering issues, excellent points that I wouldn't have thought of myself!

I assume test driving it should be the first priority - before thinking through the finance options; should I be calling the dealer and asking them to do the tire pressure now or wait until I arrive?

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
The tire pressure and steering issues, excellent points that I wouldn't have thought of myself!

I assume test driving it should be the first priority - before thinking through the finance options; should I be calling the dealer and asking them to do the tire pressure now or wait until I arrive?
IMHO wait until arrival. I'd have them check tire pressure (or check yourself) before the drive.

If it were me I'd bring a good quality tire gauge with me. Will the service department be open when you arrive? If not they may say they don't have a tire gauge since the service dept is closed. But no reason they should put up a fuss just for wanting to check the tire pressure. Even explain why if you want... shows them you've done your due diligence and know something about Jeeps and what to look for. Just let your excitement about the jeep come through and I'm sure they'll be happy to address all your concerns.

Jeka

First Name
Jeka
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bikini JLR
IMHO wait until arrival. I'd have them check tire pressure (or check yourself) before the drive.

If it were me I'd bring a good quality tire gauge with me. Will the service department be open when you arrive? If not they may say they don't have a tire gauge since the service dept is closed. But no reason they should put up a fuss just for wanting to check the tire pressure. Even explain why if you want... shows them you've done your due diligence and know something about Jeeps and what to look for. Just let your excitement about the jeep come through and I'm sure they'll be happy to address all your concerns.
Tire pressure is a great idea to check. When I picked up my Jeep I was paranoid from reading the forum about the steering issues, but didn't think at all to check tire pressure. Because tire pressure was too high, the steering wasn't as stable and the car tended to wander to one side a bit - coming from a Mazda the steering was looser in general which took a bit getting used to. I was semi Ok with it and didn't refuse delivery since it wasn't terrible and I knew that the car was under warranty.

In fact I drove for a week without adjusting tire pressure and the car wandered off to one side a bit which was of course concerning. So a week later I discovered that PSI was both high and slightly uneven which caused these problems (plus getting used to Rubicon wheels/looser steering compared to a Mazda).

As soon as changed the tire pressure to be around 37/38 PSI all steering problems went away and the car drives like it's on rails.

Sponsored

unconfirmed

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Soon)
I'm working on an interactive delivery/pickup checklist that I hope to release in the coming days.

It's an excel spreadsheet that lets you pick your trim level and the options it's supposed to have by clicking checkboxes, and then it outputs a checklist of things to check/verify upon pickup/delivery.

It is based on the many suggestions contained in the JL Delivery Checklist sticky-thread. The OP of that thread indicated his initial intention was to have a list of deliverables only. This is a combination of that plus a lot of other good ideas people have had.

I'm still fine-tuning some things on it. Stay tuned.

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

Hey all!

I am picking up my first jeep today, she just arrived on the lot and while I have spent countless hours reading through as many various threads as possible, I'm panicking a little bit in fear that I will miss something or make a mistake in buying her.

I ordered through one of the recommended dealers list and settled on a price I am happy with.

I've printed out the JL Delivery Checklist: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-delivery-checklist.3453/

I am checking with my bank on what my best financing option would be before I head to the dealership after work today.

What else am I missing? What else should I be asking? I feel like all the confidence I've built up these past few months in my searching and reading has flown out the window now that she's here!

Any and all suggestions and guidance will be greatly appreciaged!
Congratulations on your new Jeep, and welcome to the Jeep family!

You’ve already received a lot of good advice above, so I won’t repeat... but for sure use the delivery checklist, check fuses and relays in underhood box for proper insertion, and adjust the tire pressure, if needed.

You might want to take a look at the thread entitled Initial Build Quality for ideas (or reassurance). ;)

Post a picture of your new Jeep! :like: :jk:

M0ondogy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Congratulations on your new Jeep, and welcome to the Jeep family!

You’ve already received a lot of good advice above, so I won’t repeat... but for sure use the delivery checklist, check fuses and relays in underhood box for proper insertion, and adjust the tire pressure, if needed.

You might want to take a look at the thread entitled Initial Build Quality for ideas (or reassurance). ;)

Post a picture of your new Jeep! :like: :jk:
I'm in the same boat as OP, so I hope they don't mind me taking over...

How do you check the fuses. I've looked in the fuse box of an old 1999 WJ and a 2003 Suburban, so I think I know what I'm looking at. However, I don't know what I'm looking for.

Would I just wiggled a fuse and see if it's lose, or is there something else to do?

Thanks!

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
I'm in the same boat as OP, so I hope they don't mind me taking over...

How do you check the fuses. I've looked in the fuse box of an old 1999 WJ and a 2003 Suburban, so I think I know what I'm looking at. However, I don't know what I'm looking for.

Would I just wiggled a fuse and see if it's lose, or is there something else to do?

Thanks!
Open hood, fuse box is near passenger side firewall. Lift up fuse box cover, just start pressing downward on all the fuses, you’ll most likely have many that are not fully seated. Doesn’t take much pressure, you can probably do with one pinky finger.

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

Open hood, fuse box is near passenger side firewall. Lift up fuse box cover, just start pressing downward on all the fuses, you’ll most likely have many that are not fully seated. Doesn’t take much pressure, you can probably do with one pinky finger.
Yup, that's all there is to it! :like:
Sponsored