Sponsored

The new JL Rubicon, the ultimate mall crawler?!?

New JL Rubicon owners, how do you plan on using your new Rubicon?

• Total voters

Snerf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
There's a 5th option, which is the Jeep is a convertible. There's not many models available anymore, and certainly not any with a fully integrated frame. Which, by the way, makes the towing safety factor comparable to regular light trucks within the same GVWR.

We're buying our JLUR (which should arrive by 2/24) as a 3rd car that will be garaged with the soft top down. SoCal is the perfect place for convertibles, and having one that is naturally higher than almost all other vehicles makes for a fun driving experience. If our Rubi ever sees dirt, it will be fire trails and/or super moderate OHV routes in Joshua Tree.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tunesoul

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
Corvette is one thing. Buying the track ready Z06 and driving your kids to school in it only is about the same as the life majority of Rubicons sold.

99.9% of people who don't own a Wrangler assume the Rubicon is the nicest version sold. The functionality of it is irreverent.

"What's a locker?"
Wait...are the 44's tires or axles, I'm confused now... Anyway, those Rubicon stickers look really sweet though! :-D
that's where you store your Rubicon in the winter so that it doesn't get dirty ;)
hahaha... :-D Nice!

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Corvette is one thing. Buying the track ready Z06 and driving your kids to school in it only is about the same as the life majority of Rubicons sold.

99.9% of people who don't own a Wrangler assume the Rubicon is the nicest version sold. The functionality of it is irreverent.

"What's a locker?"
Exactly. And it's nothing against the people that do that, but those thinking the Rubicon is the nicest, might enjoy learning that for about the same price, they could instead have the luxury of the Sahara, which they might prefer.

All those Rubicon buyers sure do help offroaders of the future when they sell, though!

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Exactly. And it's nothing against the people that do that, but those thinking the Rubicon is the nicest, might enjoy learning that for about the same price, they could instead have the luxury of the Sahara, which they might prefer.

All those Rubicon buyers sure do help offroaders of the future when they sell, though!
Jeep did a great job positioning the JL/U Rubicon as a premium trim with rugged accents instead of just an off-road built Jeep.

If they had launched with a Willys equivalent - Rubicon wheels, tires, LSD, infotainment, and some stickers for $5k less than the Rubicon they would sell a lot fewer Rubicons.

A lot of the appeal is the look. Especially in person. It is a beast.

Sponsored

Hip2u77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine: '14 JKUR, Hers: '18 JLUR
Makes me sad to read all these comments about waiting until it's paid off, or waiting years down the road to hit anything harder than a speed bump. These things are tough. . . if you have ANY common sense. As I've stated before, we've had an '07 JKUR, a '12 JKUR, and a '14 JKUR. We've drove them from Kansas City to all the local parks, and also to Moab & Colorado (twice a year) and wheel all week long and then drive home. In that time - since winter '06 when I did Top Of The World in Moab in 3" of snow with our '07 JKUR with 4k miles on it - I've had exactly. . . . ZERO breakage, zero body damage and more fun than I could ever explain.

Here's my wife climbing a fun hill on either Kane Creek or Poison Spider in Moab. Only the first or second time she's drove offroad. It's not that the hill is that hard, it's to show that you can spin and hop and potentially break an axle or lock the rear locker and try again. (Or bump it if you don't have lockers) Just take it easy, and have some fun! (The pause was her figuring out how to turn on the rear locker. She was looking at the center where the button was on our '07 then remembered they moved it to the left of the steering wheel in the new interior.)

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6

"What's a locker?"
Again, WHO CARES ?!?!
Their money, their way to spend it, their problems. If you wanna buy an aircraft carrier to sail to the Carribean, knock yourself out !!!

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Again, WHO CARES ?!?!
Their money, their way to spend it, their problems. If you wanna buy an aircraft carrier to sail to the Carribean, knock yourself out !!!
I think you're gonna have a much better time here if you don't walk into threads and say "why are we talking about this who cares", and using caps. Walk away if the topic isn't your cup o' tea!

It's an enthusiast forum after all. Enthusiasts nerd shit. There's threads for the most minute details of wranglers here lol. Next up is probably a rearview mirror or cup holder thread.

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
I think you're gonna have a much better time here if you don't walk into threads and say "why are we talking about this who cares", and using caps. Walk away if the topic isn't your cup o' tea!

It's an enthusiast forum after all. Enthusiasts nerd shit. There's threads for the most minute details of wranglers here lol. Next up is probably a rearview mirror or cup holder thread.
Please apply advice to yourself first ? As in let others vent ?!

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
The cool thing is Jeep really has most sides of the market covered.

For someone who wants to go play in the wild without much work, the Rubicon is an excellent platform to start with, albeit, at a premium price.

A stripped Sport model would be great if you plan on upgrading to aftermarket parts and would like to save a little cash up front to afford cool parts later.

The Sahara is the perfect model to get momma for a DD/Soccer mom car for a few years, then when she upgrades, you've got nice rig to start playing with.

Sponsored

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Taking a $55k truck off road is a big risk (warranty won't include off road damages). Especially for those that never did it before. At the same time running a Rubi on road until it's paid off then taking it off road is also a big risk. 5-6 years old parts and maybe 70-100,000 miles on e-lockers, electronic sway bar motors, and everything else THEN using it harder than ever before? Odds are they're fine, but it's like a 70 year old man entering a marathon and they never ran before.

If I was a baller - I'd buy a Rubi cash then use it like they're made for. No worries. If it breaks, I'll have it fixed.

But as my primary ride- financed... boy it's risky.

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I still don't understand these arguments or discussions regarding people taking their Jeeps off road or just on the highway. Unless, I'm mistaken, the majority of people are driving off road for fun, not because they have to. So if someone has as much fun driving their Jeep on the street as you do driving your Jeep off road, how is that fun less legitimate than your fun? You could argue that there's virtually no one who 'needs' a rubicon in this thread unless they face situations in which they 'need' to be rock crawling, and I imagine those situations are far and few between.

Last edited:

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
Well said D.

Wheeling, whether it is a mild fire/logging road or whether it's a gnarly trail down in Johnson Valley, CA, is all about fun.

As far as damaging an expensive vehicle, it's all about risk management; do the driving you want and can afford to do with your new JL and enjoy!

RockAltered

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR V6 AT & 23 Ram Limited 4x4
Occupation
Retired.
Great Thread. I built a CJ7 and rolled it on the Rubicon long before there was a model with the name and I highly recommend Moab.
I ordered a 2 dr Rubi with all the stuff because I can't build it as cheap as FCA can and that warranty is better. I will probably never take the hard top off or drop the windshield but the doors and roof pannels are easy fun. When I park in the handicapped spot at the mall or grocery the fenders, rock rails and steel bumpers protect me from shopping carts. Taller tires help with those pesky mall curbs and the warn 9500 CTI will help assure I can get to the Doctors office. It's a 70th birthday present from my wife. I Love Her.

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
Great Thread. I built a CJ7 and rolled it on the Rubicon long before there was a model with the name and I highly recommend Moab.
I ordered a 2 dr Rubi with all the stuff because I can't build it as cheap as FCA can and that warranty is better. I will probably never take the hard top off or drop the windshield but the doors and roof pannels are easy fun. When I park in the handicapped spot at the mall or grocery the fenders, rock rails and steel bumpers protect me from shopping carts. Taller tires help with those pesky mall curbs and the warn 9500 CTI will help assure I can get to the Doctors office. It's a 70th birthday present from my wife. I Love Her.
Definitely a keeper ;)
Enjoy your 70th and your birthday present !
Sponsored