What happened to half doors?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I never had full doors on my TJ, and never had half doors on my JK. How was the quality of the JK half doors?
Sponsored

OP
OP
FunWagon

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
It’s nice to see there are quite a few others that feel the same about half doors. It used to be so much more common... like having the options between tops. It just slowly dwindled. Also in my travels I noticed half doors where a lot more common in the mid west where the weather is usually nicer.

The JK half doors are of really high quality... even after 11 years of use. They feel like real doors from inside and out, and you can quickly pop in the top half if it starts raining. I haven’t seen any aftermarket half doors that come even close in quality and build. I think it’s Bestop that recently came out with more stock looking half doors for JKs, but from what I’ve seen the interior is still not up to standard, but still the closest to the standard I got used to I’ve seen.

I’ve seen the grey Gladiator with tube doors on 35s at the NYC car show. It looked really good. Drew a huge crowd.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
The JK half doors are of really high quality... even after 11 years of use. They feel like real doors from inside and out, and you can quickly pop in the top half if it starts raining. I haven’t seen any aftermarket half doors that come even close in quality and build. I think it’s Bestop that recently came out with more stock looking half doors for JKs, but from what I’ve seen the interior is still not up to standard, but still the closest to the standard I got used to I’ve seen.
That’s the only half doors I’ve seen on a JK, the bestop ones. The interior just doesn’t look good enough in my opinion. Even my TJ half doors looked and felt better.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Maybe it was for some years, I know when ordering my 2012 the Rubicon refused to do half doors due to having powered windows. I struggled with my dealer and had to settle for a sport.

Wonder how your dealer did it and if maybe mine was wrong. I also remember reading some forums stating it was almost impossible to get halfsies on a rubi, like they had to call a repbin the factory or something.
I think your dealer was lying or inept. (Neither is surprising). Half doors were listed on the Jeep website (build your own page) for years. No cost option. My dealership never hesitated or blinked an eye, just ordered it.

Hopefully, they will be added to the JL eventually.

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Jk half doors were awesome. The uppers were solid plastic so they didn't move in the wind. Never had a leak either.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Jk half doors were awesome. The uppers were solid plastic so they didn't move in the wind. Never had a leak either.
What the hell, they weren't canvas with a thin metal frame?

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Nope, super solid plastic about as wide as the top of the half door.

ABar112

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Yea, windows were zippers still. They look almost identical to the uppers of those core doors.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Note this is a Canadian order form:
half doors.jpg

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The JL half doors aren’t low enough to justify. They’re ¾ doors at best, unless for some reason they make them lower than the body line, which would be pretty dumb looking.

Loved the half doors on my TJ and LJ.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
The JL half doors aren’t low enough to justify. They’re ¾ doors at best, unless for some reason they make them lower than the body line, which would be pretty dumb looking.

Loved the half doors on my TJ and LJ.
But these half doors you're talking about don't even exist. Do you mean the body line is too high? I disagree, but I'm sure that has to do with driver height.