Sponsored

Tube Doors - do they really increase safety

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
Eag off Ebay and Amazon.
Thx. Ok it’s the same brand as what I bought, just different design. You happy with it overall? Quality, install, etc?

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL 2.0 Rubicon : '20 JT 3.6 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
IMO they are good for visibility while off-roading. Regardless tube doors or not you’re still considered a cager to a motorcyclist. If you’re pondering safety which you should, you really have no business consider having tube doors, same as going out and getting your motorcycle license and hitting the road. If you get t boned, will the tube doors increase safety? That’s a loaded question...Just my humble opinion

carcollector

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon JL, 1970 Hemi Cuda, 1970 Dodge Challenger, 1969 Mustang Mach1, Superformance 427 Cobra, 1990 Bronco, 2016 AMG GTS
put together my EAG tube doors and put them on
as said directions are useless and actually misleading and missing details
not a big deal as they go together logically
2 of my 4 wont close right so will try adjustments tmw
beer time

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
All they do is provide a place to rest your arm, some have integrated mirrors, they make sure large bags don't fall out and the most import feature, they look cool.

IMG_0997.jpeg
Only thing about the nets is sticks and branches will stick in and do some damage. had nets on our RZRs and that happened on them

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
If you roll the jeep they will keep your legs from coming out and getting crushed. i have seen it happen at the dunes when a RZR rolled it was a awful seen to see. Something is better then nothing. if some one hits you in traffic probably wont matter. but i saw what happened on a roll over. no we dont plan on rolling over but my just last night didn't plan on getting hit head on by a car passing a car and hitting him head on. thank god he was in his silverado truck. broken leg and ankle but he we make it. you never know when something might happen.but if i take my doors off my wife feels a little safer so i will put the doors on

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Safety? These doors are to prevent people from falling out of the vehicle and providing a place for your arm to rest, nothing more.

There is very little that they can add to the structural integrity on the cabin and I can envision that there would be crash scenarios where they may actually detach in unpredictable ways causing injury or death.

That said, I have them and use them. Don't expect any vendor to make any claims to safety for an "off road only" product that is technically illegal in many states.

carcollector

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon JL, 1970 Hemi Cuda, 1970 Dodge Challenger, 1969 Mustang Mach1, Superformance 427 Cobra, 1990 Bronco, 2016 AMG GTS
put my EAG's on today
took me a solid hour to get latching mechanism on all 4 to pull tight and rattle free
was not happy with that- not so much the time but the way you have to slam them to secure them properly
probably no need to say this but you need to pull on them when you think they are latched as mine appeared closed but I was able to pull them open
as far as directions...long hinge pins on top using short screws and short pins on bottom with long screws
use wedge gasket for d/s mirror with fat part facing rear of jeep
on front doors don't forget door stops/straps
finish was good with nice powder coating and no obvious burrs

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Safety? These doors are to prevent people from falling out of the vehicle and providing a place for your arm to rest, nothing more.

There is very little that they can add to the structural integrity on the cabin and I can envision that there would be crash scenarios where they may actually detach in unpredictable ways causing injury or death.

That said, I have them and use them. Don't expect any vendor to make any claims to safety for an "off road only" product that is technically illegal in many states.
Know if someone hits you they're not going to protect you you cannot tell me if you have a rollover they will prevent your legs from falling out. No different than our RZR watch people roll them over legs come out and they get crushed if you have a rollover in your Jeep your legs are going to come out or good chance come out with no door you can't tell me they won't have a chance of coming out with these doors it will keep your legs in the Jeep in the vehicle like you wanted to if you don't want to use yours that's fine no one said they were going to prevent you and cause you not to get harmed in a wreck no one said their for safety on an impact. Some children don't like riding without some kind of bar there you can argue to the mirror all day long buddy sell yours if you don't want them sure someone will buy them have a great weekend what's left of it

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Know if someone hits you they're not going to protect you you cannot tell me if you have a rollover they will prevent your legs from falling out. No different than our RZR watch people roll them over legs come out and they get crushed if you have a rollover in your Jeep your legs are going to come out or good chance come out with no door you can't tell me they won't have a chance of coming out with these doors it will keep your legs in the Jeep in the vehicle like you wanted to if you don't want to use yours that's fine no one said they were going to prevent you and cause you not to get harmed in a wreck no one said their for safety on an impact. Some children don't like riding without some kind of bar there you can argue to the mirror all day long buddy sell yours if you don't want them sure someone will buy them have a great weekend what's left of it
You are saying the same thing I said. Yes, legs falling out in a rollover without any doors is a given.

The OP was asking if any manufacturer has stated any safety claims (assuming crash safety) And fyi, at no time did I state that I didn't like my tube doors, they are on almost every weekend because the wife doesn't like riding with the doors off (and it's illegal in PA)

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
While off-road they keep your legs inside the vehicle. That may not sound like something you would do if you have never been in the situation (sticking your leg outside of a moving vehicle), but I can say I have honestly seen it at least half a dozen times in 12 years of wheeling and a couple of those times the drivers got minor injuries.
It’s only a natural reaction when you are tipping towards your side of the Jeep and there’s a rock or embankment that your leg can reach: “oh I don’t want my $40,000 Jeep flipping, let me me stick my leg out there to keep us right side up.”
So there’s that.

We typically wheel without doors on and now that we have a 4 door and kids in the back, the back doors stay on. I haven’t been able to find a company selling just rear tube doors as I would be interested in just running the rears: both to keep the kids inside the rig and to give them a mental crutch that there is something between them and the rocks/road.

I wouldn’t put a ton of emphasis on the safety of tube doors related to vehicle impacts on the road, but hey, some DOM tubing between you and anything is better than open air. The perception of increased safety is probably greater than the physical protection they provide. Also, some are built to a much higher standard than others. I would trust, thicker wall/large-diameter American DOM tubing before the cheap Chinese options on Amazon. Pretty easy to see the difference in quality.
Hi Will I'm pretty sure Steinjager sells front and rear tube doors separately. They even have different part numbers.

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
The theory of tube doors sounds good but in a true side impact do they offer much protection or will they just fold in on the occupant when hit?

Has anyone had an experience on or off road where they saved an injury or such?

Looking for first hand experiences or data.
Good for bailing out when you need to :)

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Rugged Ridge bought thru Quadratech sells rears separate.

They are pretty stout too. I almost wonder if they are more protection than the flimsy OEM doors.
I am sure they offer some protection. But the "flimsy" aluminum doors are actually reinforced and tested for side impacts. The JL actually did quite well on side impact crash testing.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

there's no way any aftermarket tube door or otherwise will give you better side impact protection than an oem door. oem doors are design to meet strict safety standards and have to be tested and proven. aftermarket stuff is drawn up, made sure it fits, and sent to market. i wouldnt be surprised if during an impact one of those steel tubes breaks at a weld and impales someone. of course the odds of that happening are 1:100,000,000. of course some of the aftermarket designers probably take this into consideration while designing their doors. i think one of them even said in their description that they took this into account during the design process and made them so the tubes would not break and point into the cabin upon impact. of course if you get T boned by a train you're probably going to wish you had the oem doors on lol.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
there's no way any aftermarket tube door or otherwise will give you better side impact protection than an oem door. oem doors are design to meet strict safety standards and have to be tested and proven. aftermarket stuff is drawn up, made sure it fits, and sent to market. i wouldnt be surprised if during an impact one of those steel tubes breaks at a weld and impales someone. of course the odds of that happening are 1:100,000,000. of course some of the aftermarket designers probably take this into consideration while designing their doors. i think one of them even said in their description that they took this into account during the design process and made them so the tubes would not break and point into the cabin upon impact. of course if you get T boned by a train you're probably going to wish you had the oem doors on lol.
How many people are worrying about the safety of tube doors but ride motorcycles ? I bought my tube doors mostly for the comfort of my wife and when mom was alive. If I'm solo sometimes I skip putting them on.They can help if somebody loses a tire and it's bouncing down the road.
As far as a train T boning you? tube door, no door or OEM door your'e screwed.
Sponsored