Why can't we use Carplay and JL wirelessly

knick33

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (Ordered)
We have 2 other cars from other manufacturers and Apple Carplay works wirelessly without any issues. Given that the JL requires you to plug in, I contacted Jeep to see if they planned on providing an update. The response I got was that Apple was prohibiting it and then got some link that didn't address my question. Anyone know why they wouldn't just enable that feature? Plugging in/out phones will shorten the cellphone battery's life.

chatAgent.png
Chanchal: Apple carplay is required to be plugged in due to Apple prerogative-FCA Manufacturer has no say about it; we have no changes planned for not using a plug-You can check our latest press releases by selecting link http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/homepage.do?mid=1 select brand and products and required brand
Sponsored

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It probably requires bluetooth 5.0 and maybe this Uconnect is a bit behind. Only thing I've ever seen Wireless carplay in was new 5 series BMWs. The 2016+ GMCs I've driven didn't have wireless.

The 2019 Ram has a more recent Uconnect I believe, maybe that has it. I doubt it can be easily added by an over-the-air update or anything but I'm just making assumptions at this point.

Could also be a lot of BS from Apple when it comes to licensing.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
The impact on your phone battery life is actually negligible. Older batteries were different. I agree it would be nice if it worked wirelessly, but only a few cars are offering the option.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe

Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
The real answer is because FCA was too cheap to add wireless CarPlay to their radio. It’s existed for a while now - I have it and love it. Doesn’t require BT 5.0 or anything wild (that would have excluded a lot of old phones, and Apple probably didn’t want to do that), but it does use WiFi.

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
I have been working for Porsche for nearly 10 years now and I see this every single day. FCA is actually stating the truth. Android Auto will always work wirelessly because Andriod allows it, or doesn't restrict it. Apple wants it to be plugged in because its a safer connection, it cant be stolen. You have a lot of sensitive information saved on your phone, if you do it wirelessly, it can be stolen over the air. This is absolutely 100% the correct answer. As much as we love to bash FCA, in this case, it isn't their fault.

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
I have been working for Porsche for nearly 10 years now and I see this every single day. FCA is actually stating the truth. Android Auto will always work wirelessly because Andriod allows it, or doesn't restrict it. Apple wants it to be plugged in because its a safer connection, it cant be stolen. You have a lot of sensitive information saved on your phone, if you do it wirelessly, it can be stolen over the air. This is absolutely 100% the correct answer. As much as we love to bash FCA, in this case, it isn't their fault.
Yes, this^^^^^^
Going through product training for the JL this is what the engineers told us. It was due to apple, not FCA

Monk22

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep JK 2dr Sahara
I want to thank all of you for this, I have spent months occasionally trying this or that to get it to work wirelessly....all the time i thought it was me!

Still sucks, but at least I don't feel so dumb

Thank you!

jeeplaw

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Dodge Charger Daytona, 2019 JLUR
Wait, so what android phones work wirelessly with android auto? My Samsung note 9 doesnt

Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Disagree. :angel:

According to this article: https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/carplay/

Since iOS 9, Apple has supported wireless CarPlay implementations. Nearly all CarPlay setups require an iPhone to be plugged in directly to the in-dash system to connect, but wireless CarPlay alleviates the need for a Lightning cable, allowing an iPhone to connect to an in-car system wirelessly.

BMW was the first car manufacturer to implement wireless CarPlay support, and Volkswagen is also working on wireless CarPlay solutions and has debuted the feature in Europe.

Harman has said that wireless CarPlay support may eventually come to many of the car manufacturers it works with, like Audi, VW, Mercedes-Benz, Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep.

So it seems FCA is choosing not to implement wireless CarPlay.

Scott_S

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
Wait, so what android phones work wirelessly with android auto? My Samsung note 9 doesnt
Only certain phones made by Google itself work wirelessly. Not sure if it's a limitation of the Samsung BT radio or if Google is intentionally locking that down for other manufacturers. I don't think even the S10 variants will work.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I can confirm that wireless CarPlay was available for BMWs as of 2017 -- at least for the 2 Series, but I can only assume that if it's in the 2 Series, it's in the rest of the lineup as well.
Doesn't BMW charge a monthly subscription to use CarPlay? No thanks.
Sponsored