Spare tire delete on daily driver

DadWagon

First Name
Matthew Couling
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
My JLUR will be my daily driver, which includes a short trip up over the Pali, which is part of the mountain dividing the south side from the windward side of Oahu. I’m putting 35s on immediately (315/70R/17 BFG KO2) and am considering doing the spare tire delete to save on weight since I’m going to be crossing a small mountain on a daily basis. Assuming I carry the requisite patch kit, is there any real downside to the delete? Anyone done it, and regretted it? I’d love to see some profile pics of 4 doors with tops off and spare tire delete, since that’s how this will likely be driven most of the time. Any feedback is welcome! Thanks!
Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
More covered here:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/spare-tire-delete.28879/

I'm going to drop the spare until AEV's rear bumper and carrier are available. I've not found the proper mounting to keep it secure in the back while I wheel, but will likely use some ratchet straps. On the commute? I'll just go without.

The weight savings may help pickup a bit of what I lost going to the heavier tires. Still have yet to see.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
There are tire failures that a patch kit can't fix. What's the worst that can happen if you lose a tire and can't patch... say at the top of Pali? If getting a tow is an easy thing, then I see no reason to carry the spare. If that would be a major PITA, then you might wanna reconsider.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Personally I just like the look of having the spare on the back (classic Jeep), and to me the deletes look kinda goofy (but to each their own of course). Aesthetics aside, I don't remember the last time I had to rely on a spare tire. And even if I had to, I have free roadside assistance from my insurance company so I could just call them if I had to.

OP
OP
DadWagon

DadWagon

First Name
Matthew Couling
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
There are tire failures that a patch kit can't fix. What's the worst that can happen if you lose a tire and can't patch... say at the top of Pali? If getting a tow is an easy thing, then I see no reason to carry the spare. If that would be a major PITA, then you might wanna reconsider.
It’s only a dozen miles door to door, so not really worried about being stranded.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DadWagon

DadWagon

First Name
Matthew Couling
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Any recommendations? Best bet? Consensus favorite?

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
OP
OP
DadWagon

DadWagon

First Name
Matthew Couling
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
That looks great, I’ll check it out, thanks!

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I am trying to understand the purpose of the OPs spare tire delete. Is he expecting increased mpg? Or is it a dirt/rocky/bumpy road he's trying to keep weight off of the tailgate?

And does he plan on always having an onboard air compressor if he's relying on the patch kit?

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
Spares on the road are so 1980. When we had 2 ply tires ran them till they were bald, that’s when I had a flat. In 25 years, at least, the only flat I’ve had is in my driveway in the morning - due to a roofer nail or something. I air up and go get it patched.

Off-road, I carry plugs and compressor and spare in cargo area. If I were in Oahu, wouldn’t carry one either.

A9BD374D-B4DC-4CE1-AD6E-E3B39734477C.jpeg

hubble

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2018 F150 4X4
I ran my JK with no spare for years, I have not removed it from my JL yet though.

OP
OP
DadWagon

DadWagon

First Name
Matthew Couling
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I am trying to understand the purpose of the OPs spare tire delete. Is he expecting increased mpg? Or is it a dirt/rocky/bumpy road he's trying to keep weight off of the tailgate?

And does he plan on always having an onboard air compressor if he's relying on the patch kit?

Sure. Point is that on a relatively small island, I’m never far from home or a buddy. I’ll keep my full size matching spare in the garage. For a commute with a steep incline on a 2x daily basis, a little weight savings, minimal as it may be, could contribute to overall drivability. Same reason I didn’t get steel bumpers. Tailoring the vehicle for the way it will be driven.

Going off road on Oahu is very limited, jeeps are more just an island lifestyle thing as opposed to purpose built rock crushers.

I’ll be there for 5 years, after which this JLUR will likely become my daughters vehicle, who will be in high school by that point. She is tiny like her mom, and there is no way she will take a 35 inch tire off the back.

So, for the immediate and future use, the full size spare isn’t needed, and there are benefits, small as they may be, to reducing weight, with no real additional risk added.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
To me a Jeep just isn’t a Jeep without the spare on the back. Looks like it’s missing something. I understand the rationale behind deleting it. I just don’t agree that the minimal fuel savings justify making it look incomplete. I didn’t buy a Jeep for fuel economy.

But it’s not my Jeep... if it’s worth it to you who am I to argue?
Sponsored