mintswitch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Bone stock other than removing the fender to bumper extension thingys. Replaced the stock Michelin highway tires. 2nd pic for reference.

I am happy with the ride and the way it turned out. I still do a lot of street driving and loved the way the JL sport drove in stock form, so I didn't want to lift it or go too crazy with giant tires. I was kinda of worried that I would have to go with 35s to get the look I wanted, but after seeing the 33s, I am glad to report that they easily gave me the look I was going for.

The extra 1.5 inches paired with the swap to a more aggressive tread style ended up making a huge difference overall. I am kind of surprised at how much it filled out actually. It's hard to portray the difference with pics, but the new tires really added some beefyness to the overall look.

It dooesn't shift into 8th as easily on the highway, but still utilizes 8th gear. City driving is still nice and zippy and I don't notice much difference at all, if any really. Handling has slightly suffered, which was expected (those Michelin tires really hugged the road), but the peppyness hasn't really changed which was my main concern. For reference, I have the 2.0 turbo

Road noise never bothered me and I don't really pay attention to that sort of thing so I'm probably not the best judge in that category, but I honestly don't think I can tell any difference at all.

I haven't been off road yet with the KO2s, but after almost getting stuck twice with those Michelin street tires, I am sure the KO2s will prove their worth in no time at all.

Super happy with the way it all turned out!

lAVYMgY.jpg

P1kauW7.jpg
Sponsored

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
Thank you! I was looking for exactly this. The 2.0T is way too much fun stock to compromise that. You just saved me thousands. It looks great! I will be doing the same once I burn through this stock set. Is there any rubbing or issues with full articulation on-road?

OP
OP
mintswitch

mintswitch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you! I was looking for exactly this. The 2.0T is way too much fun stock to compromise that. You just saved me thousands. It looks great! I will be doing the same once I burn through this stock set. Is there any rubbing or issues with full articulation on-road?
Ya I wanted to burn through the stock set before I got new tires, but the off road performance of the highway tires was absolutely abysmal. I couldn't take it anymore! Hopefully I can sell the stock tires for a decent amount. Less than 1k miles on them.

I haven't driven anywhere that put me into a full articulation situation yet, but tight U-turns and speed bumps/curbs haven't given me an issue at all yet. I should get some off road time in again this weekend so I should be able to test things out a bit more then.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Same, my 33s are coming next weekish...intelligent choice Chris.

Looks great.
Did you have the new tire size programmed with a tazer or by dealer?

OP
OP
mintswitch

mintswitch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Same, my 33s are coming next weekish...intelligent choice Chris.

Looks great.
Did you have the new tire size programmed with a tazer or by dealer?
Didn't reprogram but probably won't since the size didn't change much. I used a compatison calculator so I can just manually account for the difference when I'm on the road. Won't be 100% accurate, but even at highway speeds it's only a 2-3 MPH difference so I'm not really too worried about it.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Looks nice! I kept my stock Sport 17s and soccer-mom tires for our long road trips (over 1k miles) that have ZERO chance of off roading, and a new set of wheels & real tires for daily driving and 4x4 stuff.

That's one option that I'm hating myself for not ordering~Anti-spin rear diff, for a mere $550 you get a much better Dana44 w/ LSD AND real A/T tires DOH!!!!

OP
OP
mintswitch

mintswitch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Looks nice! I kept my stock Sport 17s and soccer-mom tires for our long road trips (over 1k miles) that have ZERO chance of off roading, and a new set of wheels & real tires for daily driving and 4x4 stuff.

That's one option that I'm hating myself for not ordering~Anti-spin rear diff, for a mere $550 you get a much better Dana44 w/ LSD AND real A/T tires DOH!!!!
I agree about the LSD option. Mine actually has the LSD but didn't come with the AT tires. It is kind of a weird situation. The build sheet says LSD with AT tires, but it is also the base Sport model with the steel wheels. The original dealer pictures also showed the steelies with ATs.

When I went to check it out on the lot, it had the aluminum wheels with HTs. I verified it was the same VIN. I asked them about it and they said someone must have put on some Sport S take offs. It had been on the lot for awhile and was discounted (past year 2018 model), so my guess is that they did that to try and make it sell better and didn't realize that they screwed up the tires.

They said they could give me the ATs back, but they would be ATs on the steelies and I would lose the Sport S wheels. I actually really like the Sport S wheels and so I just stuck with that and the HTs, and used that as an excuse to upgrade to the 33" KOs, which are way better than the stock ATs anyway. In the end, I technically got a free upgrade to the Sport S wheels so I didn't make a bid deal out of it. I got a good discount since it was a previous year's model as well.

Smile of Fury

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini JL Sport S
Thanks for this post. I’ve been talking myself in circles about what wheel size to get for my 2-door Sport S, I think your picture solved it for me.

Sponsored

Smile of Fury

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini JL Sport S
Just got 285/70 Duratracs installed yesterday. No lift, no spacers, stock JL Sport wheels. Only been able to drive about 10 miles so far, but seems like there is a noticeable drop in performance in the lower gears. Unlike the OP, the Jeep definitely does not feel quite as zippy as it did with the 245/75s. This is a manual. Also it's a noticeable rougher ride for pavement driving, which is probably what I'll be doing 99% of the time, at least right now. On the positive side I am now rated to get to all the local and mid-regional malls.

Jeep Wrangler JL Recently installed - 33" BFG KO2 on stock sport 2 door IMG_6415

decavolt

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU. Previously: 2016 JK, 1997 TJ.
I know it's an old thread, but thanks for all the info. I'm picking up the new JL this weekend and this was exactly what I was trying to sort out.