Driving our JL To Costa Rica

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Love following your blog. Question - with literally everything you own being in the back of the Jeep do you empty it out at each B&B/Hotel stop?
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Just read the whole blog. Thank you for allowing us to take the journey with you vicariously. Can’t wait for tomorrow’s adventures. I love you guys’ open mindedness, positivity, and can-do attitude about everything.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Not a chance in hell. I prefer not to be kidnapped

Villagevip

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Lived in Central Mexico, over a decade.... Very brave driving a new Gringo Jeep SOFT TOP, filled with goodies ...Jus sayin...Have a safe trip!..

Last edited:
OP
OP
flipboltz

flipboltz

First Name
Nikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Love following your blog. Question - with literally everything you own being in the back of the Jeep do you empty it out at each B&B/Hotel stop?
We did not. Every stop we made sure we had secure parking as in gated communities for AirBnBs and gated parking for the hotel stops. It was a little unnerving to have everything in the back but the windows have a really good tint and they got pretty dirty as well so it was difficult to see inside. We had some go bags with vital stuff (money, passports, computers) that we brought in every night with us to be safe.

Sponsored

OP
OP
flipboltz

flipboltz

First Name
Nikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone! We made it! We are safe and sound in Costa Rica. Man this was a journey. We ended up driving 4100 miles in 13 days. We were in 7 different countries and crossed 6 borders. We averaged 21.9 mpg for the trip.

MĂ©xico was great! It was amazing seeing the different parts of the country and how different the landscapes were. Border crossings were a little crazy, the worst part of border crossings were poorly marked buildings and general not knowing where to go. I would say the worst city we were in was Acapulco. It was super busy and crazy and dirty. Not a place we would go again. If we were to do it again, the one thing we would change is to be able to spend more time in certain places. Puerto Escondido is one of these places. We had some really long days in the car, a couple due to protests in Guatemala & Honduras. Pretty much every night when we pulled into where we were staying we were exhausted. A little less driving and more enjoying and relaxing would have been much better but I could only take 2 weeks off at a time.

Drove past an awesome new Jeep dealership in Mexico and they had some nice new 4 door JLs out front. We did see quite a few CJs, TJs, YJs, & JKs on our way. In Guatemala we saw tons of old Toyota Landcruiser trucks and 4 doors. There is a Jeep dealer here in Costa Rica but it is in San Jose and I’m pretty sure they are still selling 2017s as new.

We were driving back to Tamarindo from looking at a rental house and on the Google Maps there was a road that said similar ETA and we looked at each other and said why not? Stupid noobs mistake. It was near dark and this road went from hard packed dirt to deep thick Mud. It had been raining like cats and dogs for over a week straight at this point. We should have turned around right away... Nope. Dumbasses keep on going. I quickly popped it in 4H and we were straight mudding. Let me tell you, this freaking Jeep is amazing! I kept the throttle going and we plowed through this crazy ass mud and made it out with no issues. Lessons learned. When the Google says similar ETA, it doesn’t know the condition of the road.

Thanks for hanging with us on this trip and thanks for reading the blog www.flipboltz.wordpress.com We will continue to post in the blog and I will continue to post here on the boards. Let me know when you want to come visit!

621452EC-0BB0-462A-9F3E-4665840BE2DB.jpeg

1F24FC37-DFB6-4692-96FE-6549D650C21D.jpeg

578845EC-B1AA-4492-9780-EA63B358FA89.jpeg

FA53F7B6-A67C-47D5-92E5-632C24801A21.jpeg

143B58E9-E95F-463E-94DF-E2954A44EF5F.jpeg

00824778-701A-4CDC-B70C-75B3F890105E.jpeg

E76D1B99-7B14-4546-94B4-62036E28D68A.jpeg

04AD31E1-BCEB-43D2-92F1-D736C0E1DB70.jpeg

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
So are you guys permanently staying in Costa Rica?

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Really enjoyed the blog. Thanks for taking the time. Glad you made it.

OP
OP
flipboltz

flipboltz

First Name
Nikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So are you guys permanently staying in Costa Rica?
That is the plan for now. We are going to stay here for awhile and then see where the wind blows us.

Sponsored

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
Glad y’all made it and super excited for you! Lived in Caribbean and absolutely loved it! Costa Rica will be amazing. Enjoy life!

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I’m glad the horrible brown non-Americans didn’t rob, rape, and murder you (and kick your dog) like a lot of folks seemed to think was so likely to happen.

I don’t know your intentions now, perhaps the blog was just a fun way to chronicle your journey and share it with family/friends and the Jeep community. But if you decide to continue it or start a new one telling us about your acclamation to the Tico way of life I’d read it.

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
Amazing.....loved reading about your journey and congrats! I'd love to see more pictures!

OP
OP
flipboltz

flipboltz

First Name
Nikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’m glad the horrible brown non-Americans didn’t rob, rape, and murder you (and kick your dog) like a lot of folks seemed to think was so likely to happen.

I don’t know your intentions now, perhaps the blog was just a fun way to chronicle your journey and share it with family/friends and the Jeep community. But if you decide to continue it or start a new one telling us about your acclamation to the Tico way of life I’d read it.
We will continue the blog. We plan on Eating and Beaching our way around Costa Rica and might expand into Panama and South America. I really appreciate you following along and not having the same American thoughts that a lot have had on this thread.

OP
OP
flipboltz

flipboltz

First Name
Nikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Amazing.....loved reading about your journey and congrats! I'd love to see more pictures!
Thanks! We will be updating the blog regularly with pics and stuff we are doing here in Costa Rica.
Sponsored