Great Jeep Buying Experience - Criswell

DadWagon

First Name
Matthew Couling
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Being squarely middle aged, I've bought my fair share of vehicles over the years. The auto buying process, deservedly or not, has always inspired us to mentally suit up as if for battle, prepared to haggle and fight and try to spot where we're being cheated. In my early 20s, I actually sold cars for a while, working at both a mitsubishi (super shady) and jeep dealer (actually pretty honest) in Los Angeles, so I like to think I have a little more insight than the average buyer. I knew I was going to get a JLUR for a while, it was just a matter of timing, since I'm in the Coast Guard and headed to Hawaii this summer. Originally, I was going to buy it from an old friend that worked at a dealership, but midway through the process he got a promotion into a different dealership, so I started looking around. A lot. I spoke with literally dozens of places, gauging their willingness to give me the price I wanted, and that gut check of whether they felt honest. After exhausting my local area, then state, then greater geographical region, I came here to the forum, and saw some recommendations for Criswell in Maryland. I reached out to Julius, who immediately got back to me and we opened a dialog. For nearly two months I was the difficult customer, making sure every detail was just so and the timing was correct, and he never showed a lack of patience, frustration, or desire for me to f-off. Each time we spoke he was cordial, direct, straightforward and polite. When I was ready to hit "go" on the order, he had me work with Ash, who displayed those same characteristics, which indicate to me that this is the culture there as a place of business. Ash was awesome, even graciously working with me and my subpar math skills as we arrived at the final deal, which was an amazing 8% below invoice plus the extra $500 for military cash, and a nice neat round down for good measure. It seems you can often find a good deal, and you can also find a good person to work with at a dealership, but getting both and it being effortless is rare. I'm sure I'll be driving this JLUR, what my kids are already calling the "Dad Wagon", hence my moniker, for a long time. However, when it's time to buy again, I know exactly where I'm going for that purchase.

I don't use yelp, and I rarely leave reviews for places, good or ill. This car buying experience is worth the 10 minutes to make this recommendation though. If you're in the market, check out Criswell in Maryland. Those guys are awesome. @CriswellJeep.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
Thanks, most of us already know and vouch for criswell; awesome straight forward guys over there. Thanks for sharing your experience

Back in the day it was koons and tyson that would get great reviews...but their pricing and fees were eventually beat and we all factor that in.

Criswell A+ in my book

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Highlander
Great review. Congrats @DadWagon ... I’ve seen some of your thought process about buying now or waiting in some other threads on the forum. Really happy for you!

What’s your final build?

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLUR (on order), 2015 Anvil JKU, 1995 4.0L YJ
That’s great news. Julian has been great so far when I ordered from Criswell a few weeks ago. I just read about the finance bait and switch happening with the Idaho dealer and thought “oh no, is that what’s going to happen to me in MD?” But this post put my mind at ease. I’ll post pics and experience when I take possession of the JL. Thanks!

OP
OP
DadWagon

DadWagon

First Name
Matthew Couling
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Great review. Congrats @DadWagon ... I’ve seen some of your thought process about buying now or waiting in some other threads on the forum. Really happy for you!

What’s your final build?
Thanks!

JLUR
Auto
Bikini
Tan top
Tan leather
Body colored fender flares
LED group
Tow group
8.4 screen and premium audio
Reinforced swing gate
Stainless door plates

Can’t wait!

60511210-80C2-4DF6-BC83-50151E84934B.png

Sponsored

OP
OP
DadWagon

DadWagon

First Name
Matthew Couling
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
That’s great news. Julian has been great so far when I ordered from Criswell a few weeks ago. I just read about the finance bait and switch happening with the Idaho dealer and thought “oh no, is that what’s going to happen to me in MD?” But this post put my mind at ease. I’ll post pics and experience when I take possession of the JL. Thanks!
The financing was never even part of the equation with Criswell, I told them up front that my plan was to finance with Navy Federal. Like I said, super easy transaction.

OP
OP
DadWagon

DadWagon

First Name
Matthew Couling
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Are you trading anything in? If so, how’s that work?
No, I’m doing this all remotely. I’m selling my current vehicle locally, and the Jeep is being delivered to a Honolulu dealership where I’ll have to pay a delivery fee but avoid the high cost of shipping. I did the deposit on a credit card, once it’s ready to ship I’ll be paying the cash portion via debit card and the rest via cashiers check from Navy Fed for the loan portion.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
I, too, purchased from Criswell and picked up my car this weekend, driving down from CT to get it. Patrick was great to deal with and my only "issue" with the transaction, is that they insisted i pay sales tax to them (@ CT tax rate) and in turn i would be getting a check from them made out to the DMV for that amount, which i thought was cumbersome.

When i picked up the car on Saturday, in the midst of the excitement i forgot to inquire about this check and realized Sunday evening that i did not get one and proceeded to email both Patrick and the finance manager. In an attempt to cover myself, i put a payment hold on the personal check i made to them for the purchase of the JL and received communication from the dealer (both Patrick and finance) that i will be getting a packet from them with the check and paperwork and takes about 3 weeks, so now i have to cancel the payment hold on my check and hope theirs arrives in said time.

Under the assumption the check arrives as promised, i would definitely buy from them again.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
No, I’m doing this all remotely. I’m selling my current vehicle locally, and the Jeep is being delivered to a Honolulu dealership where I’ll have to pay a delivery fee but avoid the high cost of shipping. I did the deposit on a credit card, once it’s ready to ship I’ll be paying the cash portion via debit card and the rest via cashiers check from Navy Fed for the loan portion.
You came up in our conversation with Patrick when picking up the JL this weekend. We were casually talking and my wife asked if they get a lot of out of state buyers and he said yes and that one of then was even from HI. :)

Sponsored

pokey02

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 JCW, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
You came up in our conversation with Patrick when picking up the JL this weekend. We were casually talking and my wife asked if they get a lot of out of state buyers and he said yes and that one of then was even from HI. :)
I picked up my Punk'n JLR this weekend from Criswell and Patrick mentioned the buyer from HI :)

I'd also recommend Criswell, it was a great experience and pretty easy. We did most of the transaction via email.

DrDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Beetle 2003, Sahara 4 door Silver 2020
Being squarely middle aged, I've bought my fair share of vehicles over the years. The auto buying process, deservedly or not, has always inspired us to mentally suit up as if for battle, prepared to haggle and fight and try to spot where we're being cheated. In my early 20s, I actually sold cars for a while, working at both a mitsubishi (super shady) and jeep dealer (actually pretty honest) in Los Angeles, so I like to think I have a little more insight than the average buyer. I knew I was going to get a JLUR for a while, it was just a matter of timing, since I'm in the Coast Guard and headed to Hawaii this summer. Originally, I was going to buy it from an old friend that worked at a dealership, but midway through the process he got a promotion into a different dealership, so I started looking around. A lot. I spoke with literally dozens of places, gauging their willingness to give me the price I wanted, and that gut check of whether they felt honest. After exhausting my local area, then state, then greater geographical region, I came here to the forum, and saw some recommendations for Criswell in Maryland. I reached out to Julius, who immediately got back to me and we opened a dialog. For nearly two months I was the difficult customer, making sure every detail was just so and the timing was correct, and he never showed a lack of patience, frustration, or desire for me to f-off. Each time we spoke he was cordial, direct, straightforward and polite. When I was ready to hit "go" on the order, he had me work with Ash, who displayed those same characteristics, which indicate to me that this is the culture there as a place of business. Ash was awesome, even graciously working with me and my subpar math skills as we arrived at the final deal, which was an amazing 8% below invoice plus the extra $500 for military cash, and a nice neat round down for good measure. It seems you can often find a good deal, and you can also find a good person to work with at a dealership, but getting both and it being effortless is rare. I'm sure I'll be driving this JLUR, what my kids are already calling the "Dad Wagon", hence my moniker, for a long time. However, when it's time to buy again, I know exactly where I'm going for that purchase.

I don't use yelp, and I rarely leave reviews for places, good or ill. This car buying experience is worth the 10 minutes to make this recommendation though. If you're in the market, check out Criswell in Maryland. Those guys are awesome. @CriswellJeep.
Someone else recommended them, I may look into it for sure, thanks

M0ondogy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Anybody there do a trade in with them? I brought in my POS and only got offered 300 bucks.

Not saying it has much value to it, but I can drive it to a scrap yard and get twice that.

Carmax offers nearly 1500.

I was vaguely insulted and put off by that. I feared the rest of the purchase experience would be a fight.

ulbsti25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
This forum has a very different perspective than Yelp reviewers on this dealership. Always good when things go smoothly, though.

@DadWagon Did Criswell take delivery to their dealership then ship it or was the destination directly to Honolulu? (didn't know that was possible)

@CT_LFC what came out of the tax situation with DMV?
Sponsored

Last edited: