What did you do WITH your Jeep today.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Trailer tires are way cheaper than 37x12.5 R17 tires. It cost almost the same to set the Jeep up to flat tow for what I paid for the trailer. The trailer keeps the wear and tear off the 50+ thousand dollar Jeep. If I break the Jeep, I can just put it back on the trailer.

I bought the trailer to also haul SxS and ATVs when we are not Jeeping. The Jeep loads and unloads super easy. Drive on and drive off.

The downside is, I am long so I have to plan accordingly.
My question is how in the hell can that gas 5sp Southwind (appears to a 36Z on f53 chasis) tow a Rubicon on a Trailer when it has a max tow limit of 5000lb? you have got to be over 8,000lbs (with trailer, Rubicon alone at or near 6K with 37's and some mods) easily exceeding the 26,000 GCRW. I have a 2017 Bounder 36' same chassis and power as the Southwinds (same production line even). Max rated towing is 5000lbs My Sahara with 35's is 4900 lbs. Even with the current V10 and new 6sp trans in the late models I am installing banks Power system to help with towing. I do fine on the flats but the passes here in the Cascades and Rocky's towing the Sahara is a handful. Towing weight was the sole reason I bought the Sahara vs the Rubicon. Even now to stay under weight I make sure Black, Gray water tanks are empty and no more than 1/3 fresh water on board.

just two weeks ago coming over (west) on Steven Pass here in Washington with the Sahara in tow the west side of the pass is 7 miles at 6% grade at about mile 6 started to smell something burning, pulled over to find the driver rear brakes was on fire. Only 8K miles on this RV and already replaced (actually upgraded) rear brakes. Being at max tow limit they said likely contributed even thought we have a toad braking system they are are not very effective managing speeds on long steep grades the RV bares the brunt of the brake load in that senario.

That would scare the crap out of me to exceed max tow weight by 50%...
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
My question is how in the hell can that gas 5sp Southwind (appears to a 36Z on f53 chasis) tow a Rubicon on a Trailer when it has a max tow limit of 5000lb? you have got to be over 8,000lbs (with trailer, Rubicon alone at or near 6K with 37's and some mods) easily exceeding the 26,000 GCRW. I have a 2017 Bounder 36' same chassis and power as the Southwinds (same production line even). Max rated towing is 5000lbs My Sahara with 35's is 4900 lbs. Even with the current V10 and new 6sp trans in the late models I am installing banks Power system to help with towing. I do fine on the flats but the passes here in the Cascades and Rocky's towing the Sahara is a handful. Towing weight was the sole reason I bought the Sahara vs the Rubicon. Even now to stay under weight I make sure Black, Gray water tanks are empty and no more than 1/3 fresh water on board.

just two weeks ago coming over (west) on Steven Pass here in Washington with the Sahara in tow the west side of the pass is 7 miles at 6% grade at about mile 6 started to smell something burning, pulled over to find the driver rear brakes was on fire. Only 8K miles on this RV and already replaced (actually upgraded) rear brakes. Being at max tow limit they said likely contributed even thought we have a toad braking system they are are not very effective managing speeds on long steep grades the RV bares the brunt of the brake load in that senario.

That would scare the crap out of me to exceed max tow weight by 50%...
The tow capacity on my motorhome is 8,000 pounds, I can hardly even tell it is back there. I run with the tanks empty. The trailer and Jeep are just over 7000 pounds, Mind you I am not climbing mountain passes here in Michigan. We do have some long hills but even on those, If I have the cruise on it will kick out of overdrive and loose about 4 or 5 mph.

Sponsored

RMojitoJL

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon *Mojito*, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude, 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Occupation
Loan Officer
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A
""

Little exploring in Big Bear.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
It certainly is a good day for photography!
Well done, men!
Sponsored