Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
38x13.5x17 Milestar Patagonias on 17x9 wheels. 3.5" Metalcloak Game Changer lift using 2 pucks of bump stop up front and 3 in the rear. So what needed to be done to make sure there wasn't any tire clearance issues?

By removing the inner fender liners and chopping the OEM fenders that eliminated any possible fender contact. Now the only issue is contact at the pinch seam on the lower rear corner at the rear fenderwells. Trimming about an inch off that rear corner should work.

0521191036_HDR~2.jpg

0521191036a_HDR~2.jpg

0521191036b_HDR~2.jpg

0521191036~2.jpg
Sponsored

TDS

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Commercial Project Superintendent
38x13.5x17 Milestar Patagonias on 17x9 wheels. 3.5" Metalcloak Game Changer lift using 2 pucks of bump stop up front and 3 in the rear. So what needed to be done to make sure there wasn't any tire clearance issues?

By removing the inner fender liners and chopping the OEM fenders that eliminated any possible fender contact. Now the only issue is contact at the pinch seam on the lower rear corner at the rear fenderwells. Trimming about an inch off that rear corner should work.

0521191036_HDR~2.jpg

0521191036a_HDR~2.jpg

0521191036b_HDR~2.jpg

0521191036~2.jpg
Exactly what thread I was looking for! I have MC Rocksport 3.5" lift, 17x9 (-12mm offset) and 38 Patagonias. I have been looking at the American Adventures high line kit. I have another problem I need to solve first. I installed the Steersmarts Flip drag link, track bar relocation bracket and tie rod assembly, this was before it was known the flip link rubs even with 3" of bump stop when used with a MC lift. Are you still running all the stock steering components? If so any issues with bump steer or is hard to turn when crawling? Anything else up front rubbing or close to rubbing with 2" of bump stop? I have 3" of bump stop front and back, nothing rubs up front (besides the SS), the rear barley hits the plastic on the inner fender by the pinch weld in the rear, wonder why yours hits and mine doesn't? Is it the difference in the 1" less in bump stop? This is my first Jeep and first time building something to go rock crawling with, learning articulation is everything. Going to buy the rest of the control arms that did not come in the Rocksport kit and try and eliminate as much bump stop as possible. Anything you have already learned and can pass on would be greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
4xnaz

4xnaz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly what thread I was looking for! I have MC Rocksport 3.5" lift, 17x9 (-12mm offset) and 38 Patagonias. I have been looking at the American Adventures high line kit. I have another problem I need to solve first. I installed the Steersmarts Flip drag link, track bar relocation bracket and tie rod assembly, this was before it was known the flip link rubs even with 3" of bump stop when used with a MC lift. Are you still running all the stock steering components? If so any issues with bump steer or is hard to turn when crawling? Anything else up front rubbing or close to rubbing with 2" of bump stop? I have 3" of bump stop front and back, nothing rubs up front (besides the SS), the rear barley hits the plastic on the inner fender by the pinch weld in the rear, wonder why yours hits and mine doesn't? Is it the difference in the 1" less in bump stop? This is my first Jeep and first time building something to go rock crawling with, learning articulation is everything. Going to buy the rest of the control arms that did not come in the Rocksport kit and try and eliminate as much bump stop as possible. Anything you have already learned and can pass on would be greatly appreciated!
I've seen first hand what a top mount Steersmart drag link will do when the passenger side is fully tucked. Let's just say that when drag link gets introduced to frame, frame always wins. LOL.

I have ZERO issues running 2" bump stops up front. All the lines and wires going to the axle have been freed from their attachment points so nothing will get ripped away. The tires don't have any contact inside the fenderwells by removing the bottom half of the fender and OEM liners.

All my steering is still original. I had huge bump steer immediately after the lift was installed but after going to an Alignment Shop and having my caster set to 6, no more issues. Also added the Falcon 2.2 steering stabilizer, just for good measure.

Eventually my steering will get upgraded but I'm keeping my eyes out for a fix with the Steersmart system or even looking at what Synergy is offering and it's reliability. Even hydro assist might be an option because crawling in 4lo and locked, the Gravy Train doesn't agree with anything other than a straight line! LOL

Good luck with your build!

TDS

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
I've seen first hand what a top mount Steersmart drag link will do when the passenger side is fully tucked. Let's just say that when drag link gets introduced to frame, frame always wins. LOL.

I have ZERO issues running 2" bump stops up front. All the lines and wires going to the axle have been freed from their attachment points so nothing will get ripped away. The tires don't have any contact inside the fenderwells by removing the bottom half of the fender and OEM liners.

All my steering is still original. I had huge bump steer immediately after the lift was installed but after going to an Alignment Shop and having my caster set to 6, no more issues. Also added the Falcon 2.2 steering stabilizer, just for good measure.

Eventually my steering will get upgraded but I'm keeping my eyes out for a fix with the Steersmart system or even looking at what Synergy is offering and it's reliability. Even hydro assist might be an option because crawling in 4lo and locked, the Gravy Train doesn't agree with anything other than a straight line! LOL

Good luck with your build!
Thanks,

Yeah I am trying to avoid the drag link vs frame fight, lol. Thanks for the info. I have a message out to roam, they say their flip link will work on a stock height JLUR, I will keep you posted on my finds. FYI, the flip link made a huge difference on being able to turn while locked up in 4 low, all the way tell it hits the frame, lol! Might be time to sell the flip link and go hydro.

SSVi

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Occupation
Extreme metal drummer/ large cat wrangler / gun modder
So what all would be involved in the fender chop? Cutting/reshaping to the desired amount, but then wouldn’t you have to prime and paint the whole thing to get the color to blend? I’m assuming I’ll have to do the same thing, just seems like a ton of work.

Sponsored

TDS

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
So what all would be involved in the fender chop? Cutting/reshaping to the desired amount, but then wouldn’t you have to prime and paint the whole thing to get the color to blend? I’m assuming I’ll have to do the same thing, just seems like a ton of work.
Here you go. There are two or three companies with brackets and lights to do this. Here is the one I ordered and the one 4xnaz used or latest the one I think he used

SSVi

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Occupation
Here you go. There are two or three companies with brackets and lights to do this. Here is the one I ordered and the one 4xnaz used or latest the one I think he used
Uh...no. The rear fender chop. No one’s talking about lights and front fender flares.

TDS

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Uh...no. The rear fender chop. No one’s talking about lights and front fender flares.
I just posted that video to show you how the fenders come apart, thought that was your question. If your talking about 4xnaz referring to having to cut the pinch weld that is on the tub itself then your not talking about the fenders like we were. The pinch weld is part of the wheel well not the fenders.

OP
OP
4xnaz

4xnaz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The rear fender chop is super easy, separating the top portion from the bottom portion. What I was referring too about the rear, is the actual sheet metal of the pinch molding at the lower rear corner of the rear fenderwell. I haven't trimmed this small area yet because I'm still weighing my options. Either folding the corner back upon itself, cutting the corner back completely off or just using a grinder to trim it back. I'll post as soon as I find out what I'm going to do.

0521191036~2.jpg

SSVi

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Occupation
The rear fender chop is super easy, separating the top portion from the bottom portion. What I was referring too about the rear, is the actual sheet metal of the pinch molding at the lower rear corner of the rear fenderwell. I haven't trimmed this small area yet because I'm still weighing my options. Either folding the corner back upon itself, cutting the corner back completely off or just using a grinder to trim it back. I'll post as soon as I find out what I'm going to do.

0521191036~2.jpg
Yeah let me know what/how you do it!

Sponsored

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

SSVi

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Occupation
watch the video

it tells you how to do it...
Yep, that’s not what I’m talking about at all. I’ll wait for 4xnaz to get it completed.

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, that’s not what I’m talking about at all. I’ll wait for 4xnaz to get it completed.
you can if you want, but i guess what we are trying to tell you is its the same as the front

rip them apart...

SSVi

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Occupation
you can if you want, but i guess what we are trying to tell you is its the same as the front

rip them apart...
I’m not talking about the fender FLARES. I’m talking about the actual fenders where he has to cut the bottom metal corner hitting his rear tire.

OP
OP
4xnaz

4xnaz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not talking about the fender FLARES. I’m talking about the actual fenders where he has to cut the bottom metal corner hitting his rear tire.
I think I made up my mind and might try it tonight. I'll tape off the corner area I want to trim off, draw my cut on the tape, use a cutting wheel to remove the corner and then use a grinder to shape it and smooth it out....prime, paint. Sounds easy enough. Its not like the rear of the tub is going to completely come apart, right?!?!?! LOL
Sponsored