Sponsored

What would you do with a 10k budget on a up?

OP
OP

h20123

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL sport s 2door, 18 ram 4x4
Yeah you’re not wrong there but I’m sticking with the sport. Live in New England weather so muddy trails and trips to sand dunes
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I actually went back and forth between sport s and rubi.

Came down to preference really. Don’t like the rubicon stickers, don’t like the red dash, didn’t want leather. For some reason painted fenders never appealed to me either. I figured I would just spend the $ making a sport that was unique rather than take a stock rubicon. To each there own though.

Kicking myself mine doesn’t have the anti slip diff though, for a couple hundred bucks that’s a good deal.
So unlike many replies you'll get from offended Rubi owners I'm NOT hurt, but:

-I yanked my Rubi stickers within seconds of pulling in my driveway
- I just don't like color matched fenders and my Rubi's are not painted
- didn't want leather either, so didn't get it
- I hated the red dash, didn't get it

I understand your argument and building a Sport would be cool - you just happened to mention all the wrong items that aren't necessarily exclusive to the Rubicon.

The Rubi comes down to axles, gears, t-case. Doesn't even mean that makes a Sport or a Rubicon better, they're just different.

Although power windows were absolutely non-negotiable for me, so that ruled out a base Sport ;)

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I’d probably invest at least 3k in EXPD it’s a supply chain management / logistics company.

The company has about 320+ locations over 6 continents.

The demand for space is steadily outstripping supply, so, warehouse space to store goods around the globe is at a premium right now.

Regardless of what governments decide to do in terms of trade wars will bare no impact.

Good buy.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Yeah you’re not wrong there but I’m sticking with the sport. Live in New England weather so muddy trails and trips to sand dunes
Probably not worth lifting it to be honest, with all the suspension geometry/steering potential problems that opens up. On sand you’ll want nice wide tires, and you’ll definitely need either wider axles (overkill), high negative offset wheels, or wheel spacers.

OP
OP

h20123

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah but I also erred more on the side of I’d rather spend less upfront and build it up as I go and have a better understanding what I want/need

Also I had what’s probably a dumb question. I know a common mod is upgrade the axles. A lot say 35 inch tires can get away with stock axles others disagree. Beside the obvious pain of having to pull out a busted Jeep is there any reason why someone wouldn’t just stick with stock axles and then just upgrade if they break?

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Yeah but I also erred more on the side of I’d rather spend less upfront and build it up as I go and have a better understanding what I want/need

Also I had what’s probably a dumb question. I know a common mod is upgrade the axles. A lot say 35 inch tires can get away with stock axles others disagree. Beside the obvious pain of having to pull out a busted Jeep is there any reason why someone wouldn’t just stick with stock axles and then just upgrade if they break?
Upgrading the axles is really not that common. It was more common on the Jk’s Because the stock axles were pathetically weak, but it take a severe beating to break an axle.

OP
OP

h20123

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No lift... I mean I see your point... but lifting it looks cool... all the ladies love a lifted Jeep lol

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
No lift... I mean I see your point... but lifting it looks cool... all the ladies love a lifted Jeep lol
Well, I care about my Jeep more than I care about some hooker. But, if that’s what you want, I don’t think a lot of people would recommend the Mopar lift without at the very least getting some aftermarket adjustable control arms.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Are you doing the work yourself? 10k is a lot of money but gets ate up quick.

If no labor,

3k for Rubi take out axles
2k for Rubi take off wheels and new 37s
2-2500 for lift
500 sliders/rails
500 misc
2k front/rear bumper and winch

Brett
If you're gonna spend 3 grand on axles you can get better than Rubi takeoff.

Sponsored

ClaytonW

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Lexus LX570
Rubicon or Moab take-off wheels and tires (33"). No need to lift it. Front and rear steel bumpers (do not have to be expensive, not anything heavy), front skid plate, front sway bar quick disconnects. Differential covers (or better, differential glide plates). A cheap winch (Smittybilt X2O should be fine). Rock rails (Rubicon take-offs should be fine if you do not plan some extreme rock crawling). At least a rear locker (both rear and front would be better). Considering that this is a 2 door JL, that should be enough even for the Rubicon trail. And it should not be so expensive; you can save some money.

Last edited:

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
If you're gonna spend 3 grand on axles you can get better than Rubi takeoff.
Go on...if there’s something better for the money, I’m all ears because I’ll start buying them up.

Brett

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys just recently bought a 2 door jl sport s currently stock and thinking what I want. So I pose the question to you guys, what would you do under 10k total? Goal is nothing insane off road but a competent off roaring rig and just a cool looking machine.

I’m thinking something like the mopar lift, 35 inch tires, new fenders and fender liners, new bumpers with winch, some armor, led lights and a light bar. I don’t know what else.
Based on what you said, I’d suggest lift it and put on your tires and wheels. If you use Mopar lift, then keep in mind you’ll spend an additional 6 - 650 on parts that doesn’t come with the kit in order to make it perform it’s best on and off the road. I’d suggest getting a more complete lift ( rock krawler, metalcloak, etc.. ) I say this because even though you say you’re only going to light trails etc.. that will most likely change. Then you’ll be spending more of the 10k upgrading. So now that you’ve got it “ looking cool “ take it out and wheel it, see how it does then add things as needed, again merely a suggestion.....:)

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I like the ideas here. Mostly go slow. If you’re like me, you really don’t know where you’ll end up.

I really admire the guys who order their Jeeps, and then have $10k in parts sitting in the garage waiting for it to show up. But this probably ain’t their first rodeo. It is mine.

I didn’t intend to change a thing. But I thought that holey pinch seam looked unfinished. Paid $100 for Rubicon takeoff rails. For my present level, they’re fine, and look great, imo. If I get into more extreme wheeling, I’ll replace them, with little loss.

Wanted a wider stance, so I dropped $230 on Spidertrax spacers, after a good bit of study.

I researched tires for 2 months before settling on 33” Wildpeak ATs. Then I waited 2 more weeks for DT’s Memorial Day sale. Saved$120, and they gave me $325 for my takeoffs.

I have Rubi suspension waiting for me in Colorado. $200, and the seller is going to help me install it. (Thanks @walweb !)

My only splurge so far was a $345 Outback Trailgater table. Saw it. Had to have it. :)

I’m researching front bumpers now.

Little by little...