TJEli

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
I left mine open and covered it with the bracket.
Sponsored

Outlaw

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 1992 YJ Wrangler, 1995 F350 Powerstroke, 1994 Ford Bronco
After being less than impressed with the current offerings for bumper/tire carrier options I decided to give a tub mount reinforcement a try. I already had the RC tire bracket installed and my gate was holding up just fine but this was for piece of mind. This hinge kit is BUILT. I am sure it is similar to some of the other ones out there but I was impressed. Cast aluminum bracing with steel hinges and hardened pins. 8 bolts to the gate and much thicker plates to the tub. I cannot make my tailgate flex at all by pulling on the tire now. At around $400 it is not inexpensive but it is less than some of the others out there. On to the pics....

RR 1.jpg
RR 2.jpg
RR 3.jpg
RR 4.jpg
RR 5.jpg
RR 6.jpg
RR 7.jpg
RR 8.jpg
RR 9.jpg

-Eli
Do you have to move the tire way up high like that? I'm thinking about getting the Spartacus kit, but my 37" spare on Mopar beadlock fits fine in stock location.

BrnxBomr2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys Recon
I have decided to go with a lighter wheel and tire
Combo that will come in around 96lbs. Think that’ll be fine still?

Also, what did you do on the right side of the of the tire since there is no hole there and nothing to come out and keep the tire secure. Unless you have it resting on the hinge.

OP
OP
TJEli

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
First of all, if you use the rugged ridge bracket (which I now have) it does not sit as high. Secondly, you do not need the tire bumpstops with this carrier.

rrs1.jpg
rrs2.jpg

Sponsored

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
First of all, if you use the rugged ridge bracket (which I now have) it does not sit as high. Secondly, you do not need the tire bumpstops with this carrier.

rrs1.jpg
rrs2.jpg
Hey I just got the tire bracket and plan on installing it this weekend. Anything I should know that you came across installing your's? The tailgate hinge went on very easy with no surprises. Thanks,

Reactions: aai
OP
OP
TJEli

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
Hey I just got the tire bracket and plan on installing it this weekend. Anything I should know that you came across installing your's? The tailgate hinge went on very easy with no surprises. Thanks,
No Surprises. Its a great design and bolts right up. You don't need the spacers anymore either because it is bent to work with their hinge.

-Eli

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2014 JKU Sport S, 2007 JKU Sport, 1997 TJ,
I just ordered this kit. I reviewed all of your posts, thanks guys. I will he hanging a 38 Patagonia as well. But until then, just leaving the little guy in there.

20190518_164350.jpg

RenoMD

First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL unlimited Rubicon
Take your spare off and close the gate. Check all your gaps. Loosen the bolts that fasten the carrier to the tailgate. (not the bolts inside the tub) You should be able to move the gate around a little bit with the bolts loose. Try to fix your gaps and tighten the gate down with it HIGH on the drivers side. The weight of your spare tire will pull it down in line.

If you are unable to get things lined up by loosening the bolts you will have to do it with shims under the hinge plates that bolt to the tub.

-Eli
I’m might end up using shims like Eli suggested. I’ve installed mine a month ago. It’s only a little off when the door makes contact with the latch and latch guide, and I’m living with it just fine. Doesn’t really bother me.

Sponsored

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I installed mine last night and came across an issue with the camera cover. It is way too big to fit through my mopar performance wheels hub. I didn't see any mention of this in any of their material. So as an fyi to those who are using Mopar wheels or wheels with a factory hub size you will have to leave it off. I have reached out to rugged ridge to see if they are aware. Other than that this kit is as advertised and I would buy again. Took about 1.5 hours to install. Very easy if you can turn a wrench.

Reactions: aai

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
Hey I have a tire carrier for this I'll sell for $100 if any of you bought just the tailgate hinge.

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It looked great on the beach this weekend!

20190615_142342.jpg

mopar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ram TRX and 2024 Ineos Grenadier 73 Pingauer
I installed mine last night and came across an issue with the camera cover. It is way too big to fit through my mopar performance wheels hub. I didn't see any mention of this in any of their material. So as an fyi to those who are using Mopar wheels or wheels with a factory hub size you will have to leave it off. I have reached out to rugged ridge to see if they are aware. Other than that this kit is as advertised and I would buy again. Took about 1.5 hours to install. Very easy if you can turn a wrench.
It looked great on the beach this weekend!

20190615_142342.jpg
How did you get the wheel to fit?

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How did you get the wheel to fit?
I left the cover for the camera off and the wheel fits fine and is supported by the studs. You just have to be careful mounting and dismounting. I believe there is a review from one of the vendors on YouTube mentioning the same.
Sponsored