Sponsored

How long before the $2000 auto Trans is standard equipment?

Hendge

First Name
Hendo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former Mopar; 4Ă—4 Fronty
Howdy. Looking at buying and trying to figure out some costs comparisons vs waiting.

One thing in the auto world that is cool is technology trickle down. IDK why it costs more on the jeep as it's not a new 8-speed (beside the point) and always thought the premium by by early adopters was to offset some of the R&D of bringing the new tech. But it's always nice when a new MY comes in and some of the higher end features get phased down into the lower end models.

So having said that, which premium features in the higher priced models do you suspect will make their way into the low end models over the next 1-3 years and do you think the transmission will become 'standard' so that if you want the 6-speed it would DEDUCT like $995 or something from the price?
Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Nah, you’re never gonna see a deduction for the manual - that would mean the advertised base price of the jeep would have to be $1k higher.

I think we’re much more likely to see the 6 speed dropped altogether than that. What’s more likely in the next few years is that the cost would come down, but not to zero.

As far as what I think will get promoted to standard equipment, my guesses would be LED lighting (maybe sport S and above?), and the active safety stuff.

U.S. Marine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
At least the backup camera is standard equipment, someday the 8-speed auto maybe be standard also.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
The $2,000.00 Auto will be come standard once the base MSRP goes up $1,500.00. The Manual will be gone and the quagmire death of the, “Jeep” will have begun.....
People have been predicting (or proclaiming) the death of the Jeep for decades. As much as I love a stick shift, there's no reason its eventual demise would mean that somehow the rending of clothes must begin and the Wrangler will become just another CUV.

Idaho_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Utility Trailer
People have been predicting (or proclaiming) the death of the Jeep for decades. As much as I love a stick shift, there's no reason its eventual demise would mean that somehow the rending of clothes must begin and the Wrangler will become just another CUV.
To be clear, the “Jeep” would vanish should that happen

Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
At least the backup camera is standard equipment, someday the 8-speed auto maybe be standard also.
That's only due to federal vehicle regulations. Backup Cameras are required after like may of this year.

Idaho_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Utility Trailer
And I'm saying you're full of it. Jeeps used to mean leaf suspensions. And before that I'm sure they wailed about hard doors being for pansies.
Say what you must, be a peace with your words

Idaho_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Utility Trailer
I apologize. I know better than to post when I’m grumpy.
Appreciate that John.....A Jeep is like rifles, handguns and bows....,.,Sometimes forced technology really doesn’t do the “Spirit” a favor. Be Good!

Willy723

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 SCREW Lariat 3.5EB, 2016 Explorer Sport, 1990 Mustang GT, 2006 HD FXDL
I was discussing this in the 2.0L thread under ordering. It will only be a matter of time before the 2.0T engine is the standard equipment and along with that will be the Auto -Trans as it is the direction most car companies are going or have gone.

The fuel efficient combo will be the commonly ordered setup by dealerships and majority of vehicles sold today off lots. The manufacturer will push for this as well to help increase their numbers for CAFE standards.

The V-6 will become the optional engine at a premium, as well as the manual transmission and they won't worry about the upgraded cost scaring off buyers because, let's face it, if you're looking to buy a manual JW, where else are you possibly going to go?

And of course with this, expect a $2000-3000 increase in base MSRP over the next few years for when this does happen.
Sponsored