Sponsored

Offroading a brand new Rubicon

Semaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 71 Chevelle 65 mustang
Hey guys,

I'm new to the offroading adventures but not to cars/ motor-sports in general. I have a 19 Rubicon 4 door that I have taken to 2 off road parks. This last weekend while on a level 3 (out of 5) I really felt I needed a lift and larger tires to maneuver over the rocks. Most guys had 4" lifts and 35-37 tires. There were several tight spots and close calls and I'm really shocked I didn't scratch up more stuff than I did.
I know I'm gona get the comments like "oh Jeeps are supposed to be scratched" and "That's what their used for".... But I'm seriously considering getting a 05-06 TJ rubicon or a 08-09 2 door Rubicon and save my 50k Jeep for cruising around and light fire roads.... I can pick one up for 10-15k with 35" tires and not have to cringe every time I get really close to sliding into a tree.

What I'm asking from the knowledgeable Jeep community out here is whats a better buy? I know the 3.8 is under powered but is it worth staying with a 10 year older TJ platform to get the 4.0?
Sponsored

homebrew

First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I’ve had jeeps all my adult life. My Rubicon is the most pricey vehicle I’ve ever had. Taking it off road for the first time I was cringing at every scrape. I got over it though lol. Pics from my first outing

DEB4C628-D32B-4519-8866-B19978E563CD.jpeg

830F4213-20B6-44E6-ABAC-0C28854A1A78.jpeg

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I haven't had the chance to take my JLUR out yet, but I'm much in the same boat: This is the nicest vehicle I've ever owned and I'd like to keep it that way, at least for a little while.

That said, I have some perspective your situation doesn't: I traded in an '04 TJ Rubicon for my JLUR in December. It was the second TJ I built, daily drove, and wheeled some of the most difficult trails I could find on 33" tires in the Northeast from 2005-2018.

To answer your question: Should you pick up a TJ or JK? It depends on your application.

I've said it in other places, but I'll repeat here: I Loved my TJ's for what they were. If I was going to build a dedicated, hardcore trail rig? I'd buy the cheapest 4.0L Manual trans TJ i could find with a good frame, put a Rock Krawler Long arm kit, big axles, and tires under it, with armor and a winch, and go nuts.

That said- I need a daily driver more than I need another toy. I need a vehicle that can safely haul my family on road trips and vacations, and tackle difficult trails roughly once a month. Add to that, a lot of the difficult trails weren't really fun anymore. Sure, I had my favorites, but that was like 2. The rest were just punishing. And while I would have loved to build my TJ's into something close to an Ultra-4 car, I really can't/ couldn't justify the money for a truck, and trailer, and the space to store all of it, and the money and time required for maintenance on all of those things. So, I decided to take a couple steps back, and pulled the trigger on the JLUR so I could do all the fun stuff (road trips, adventure wheeling, etc) with my family and still daily drive a vehicle I loved.

I've got zero regrets and a pretty extensive 5 year plan to build this Jeep, starting with armor (Skidplates, bumpers, sliders, etc) and a winch. and progressively stepping up to a lift and larger tires. Will i be able to go 100% hardcore out of the gate? No. But I've been there (or close) and I'm good for now. I'll get there again eventually, I consider it managing my engagements.

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
is it worth staying with a 10 year older TJ platform to get the 4.0?
You specifically mention 2005-06, a few major issues plague those years. The TCM/PCM (auto trans) and OPDA (4.0)

The best TJ years were 1998-99 and 2003-04.

I’ve had both a TJ and JK, I prefer the TJ.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Hey guys,

I'm new to the offroading adventures but not to cars/ motor-sports in general. I have a 19 Rubicon 4 door that I have taken to 2 off road parks. This last weekend while on a level 3 (out of 5) I really felt I needed a lift and larger tires to maneuver over the rocks. Most guys had 4" lifts and 35-37 tires. There were several tight spots and close calls and I'm really shocked I didn't scratch up more stuff than I did.
I know I'm gona get the comments like "oh Jeeps are supposed to be scratched" and "That's what their used for".... But I'm seriously considering getting a 05-06 TJ rubicon or a 08-09 2 door Rubicon and save my 50k Jeep for cruising around and light fire roads.... I can pick one up for 10-15k with 35" tires and not have to cringe every time I get really close to sliding into a tree.

What I'm asking from the knowledgeable Jeep community out here is whats a better buy? I know the 3.8 is under powered but is it worth staying with a 10 year older TJ platform to get the 4.0?
Another way to think of it is you are doing trails with your daily driver that the others are using dedicated hardware on. Sure they might be quicker but you should find some enjoyment you're able to do it with a stock JLUR. I'm sure your drive to and from the trail was much more enjoyable ;)

Part of why I love my JLUR is that it can do both; around town daily driver mall duties as well as off road trails that are challenging for other daily drivers to tackle. Put some 35s on it and enjoy it.

I also tell my family when the Zombie outbreak comes being in the JLUR is ideal as we can bug out directly and the LOD destroyer bumper is good for clearing the herds.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Find a LJ or go with a 2012+ to get the 3.6. I’d only do that if I was going to build a dedicated trail rig, but then I think about the trailer for it and then the full size tow rig, two vehicles to maintain, etc. I like the simple life of a single vehicle. I can build my daily driver to the point it can wheel most anything I want and still drive me home. You have to be a little more careful with wheeling your DD but it’s done all the time.
Trail pinstriping and rock rash are badges of honor, can be buffed out and touched up, and improves gas mileage. Yes, putting the Jeep in 4lo and climbing obstacles will improve gas mileage. Try it this weekend! Let’s go wheeling!

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe get one of those clear 3M wraps for it? That would be cheaper than an entirely new jeep and protect your paint from scratches. And think about it like this...your new Jeep isn't worth $50K anymore from depreciation. LOL

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
I would opt for the TJ with the 4.0 Liter in it. Save your new ride for the street! I just saw a post yesterday where a guy rolled his jeep over. And it's stuck up on a mountain. You don;t want to end up like him with your new ride.
Sponsored