Sponsored

Who else is in the "I'm waiting until the 2nd model year to buy but it's really hard to wait" club?

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 JLUR 392 Anvil ordered 5-10-23
My rule has always been wait until year 2 , but I was about to violate that rule and go for a JL, but seeing all the initial issues is bringing me back to waiting.
Can you elaborate what initial issues you are referring to? Just trying to see what I need to watch out for. Thanks!
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
My rule has always been wait until year 2 , but I was about to violate that rule and go for a JL, but seeing all the initial issues is bringing me back to waiting.
What issues? Go to any forum for any vehicle, including JK's, that has been out awhile and tell me when you find one with no issues.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
I'm mostly waiting until I pay off one of my vehicles. Plus I'm curious about the JT, the diesel and the availability of more options/accessories.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Reasons for waiting:
  1. Hoping for 2-Door Selec-Trac
  2. Hoping for 2-Door Diesel
  3. Hoping for half-doors
  4. Hoping for a Willys special edition

Last edited:
Reactions: N75

C5er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
What issues? Go to any forum for any vehicle, including JK's, that has been out awhile and tell me when you find one with no issues.
I was hoping with all the testing done on this model it would fair better on launch, but looks to be having the typical startup pains. My 2007 jku was a pile, my 2012 and 2015 had no issues at all.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I was hoping with all the testing done on this model it would fair better on launch, but looks to be having the typical startup pains. My 2007 jku was a pile, my 2012 and 2015 had no issues at all.
I get the logic, but what pains? I really haven't seen many people reporting issues. Certainly no more than I see reported on late model JK's or anything else, for that matter. If there is a pattern, clue me in, by all means.

jasceni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Ocean Blue
Waiting until 2019 before I order my first new Jeep, hopefully they have more options available

1. Willys special edition
2. Different paint options ( want a FDE color)
3. Half doors

JL2018

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi. Granite Crystal
Occupation
Realtor
I've put off buying a Rubi. for two years, but when I saw the new JLU Rubi. I couldn't resist any longer. Went all in. Took every option the dealer offered except the blind spot monitor (felt it was more expensive repair if I rub a tail light), Ordered it 4 days ago. Feels like Christmas when I was a kid waiting to open my new present. Fingers crossed that everyone is paying attention when the build mine.

C5er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I get the logic, but what pains? I really haven't seen many people reporting issues. Certainly no more than I see reported on late model JK's or anything else, for that matter. If there is a pattern, clue me in, by all means.

Clue: See "Discuss Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls"

Firmware bugs, electrical issues, assembly issues all typical of a product line startup. This is nothing completely unexpected for any vehicle, or complex product for that matter. I suspect as the assembly line gets more experience on this, feedback rolls in, and processes are adjusted, the issues will decline. This thread was about buy now or wait until year 2. No offense to any early adopters, i was thinking of being one.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
I'm a summer 2019 purchase when my BMW lease is up. BMW was meant to be a bridge between selling my JKUR and the 2nd year run JL but this is the hardest wait ever. Ugh. This forum isn't making this wait any easier!

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
In response to an earlier post, Im waiting to see if popular aftermarket items find their way into the JL 2 door. Such as, modular hardtop panels ( on the 4dr my sky) , linex from the factory interior, easy clean vinyl seats, like the Renegade. A Willys Edition is worth waiting for. Plus my 2015 JK will be paid off soon.
Jeep is tuned in to what aftermarket items are popular, and will undoubtedly incorporate them into Special Editions. No downside to Waiting, in my opinion.

CRC

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR Hard Rock, 2023 Toyota Camry XLE AWD
I'm pretty sure I am at this point.

I already have a small turbo 4 with hybrid torque assist, and it's fun and all, but been there done that. The V6 with electric assist is going to be REALLY fun.

DirtyDina

First Name
Jacques
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Buddy of mine just took delivery of a JLUR and advised the service department he smelled a burning of oil or fluid. They said it was fine, just breaking in. Less than 48 hours later he woke up to a dump of transmission fluid in his driveway. So, yeah, second year is looking better and better.

Direwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Don't think I have any unique reasons based on the responses so far. I've got a lease ending in 2019 and although I could turn it in early with little penalty, I'm mostly waiting to see the BSG Pentastar and if there will be a Willy's next year. My JKU was a Willy's and I thought it was the perfect package. Hoping for a 2019 Willy's package with 3.73 axle ratio w/ LSD, high fenders, 33" KO2's, black Rubicon wheels, and rock rails.

JDMRN81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU, 2018 GC Altitude
Occupation
RN, doctoral student
I'm waiting until I see some feedback on the 2.0, see sting gray, ocean blue, and mojito on the lots to compare. Might even wait until the diesel comes out. I have a 2012 JKU that I love and see no reason to rush. I kind of chuckle when I see guys who have '14-'17 wranglers and are getting impatient waiting for a certain paint color, engine, etc.
Sponsored