Sponsored

Who else is in the "I'm waiting until the 2nd model year to buy but it's really hard to wait" club?

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Not patient enough, pulled the trigger on my first new vehicle!

Bu IMO there are only advantages to waiting. Bugs out of the line potentially, more colors, options, special editions?, etc. Maybe dash color options, lol!

Good luck!
Sponsored

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 JLUR 392 Anvil ordered 5-10-23
Forgive me as I am a newbie, but how long have the '18 JL's been in production? I pick up my '18 JLU Rubicon tomorrow, but admittedly am a little nervous about 1st year production runs. For what it's worth, the dealer I am buying from 6 hours away has the limited lifetime warranty which carries a $200 deductible, so there is some comfort knowing that.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Forgive me as I am a newbie, but how long have the '18 JL's been in production? I pick up my '18 JLU Rubicon tomorrow, but admittedly am a little nervous about 1st year production runs. For what it's worth, the dealer I am buying from 6 hours away has the limited lifetime warranty which carries a $200 deductible, so there is some comfort knowing that.
a couple of months in real production. WE are hearing a fair amount of reports of snafus, but its important to remember most of the happy people are off having fun, its always going to be people having issues posting, so its impossible for us here to know real % of problems on these super early units.

But even with that, I dont like the stories I am hearing so far. I guess I would drive it around town for a bit and get a feel for if everything is OK. Hopefully we are hearing from minority of cases and they are getting everything dialed in.

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
I wouldn't be very concerned. It's not like the JL is a completely new vehicle. On the assembly line, there aren't a ton of differences from the JK.
You only are hearing about a few problems whereas most people are having none.

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't be very concerned. It's not like the JL is a completely new vehicle. On the assembly line, there aren't a ton of differences from the JK.
You only are hearing about a few problems whereas most people are having none.
And the good thing is that I haven't necessarily heard any repeating major problems.

Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
And the good thing is that I haven't necessarily heard any repeating major problems.
And the other good thing is the simpler the model you get, the less chance you might have some of those issues. As a 6 speed buyer I'm not concerned about problems with the 8 speed auto, for instance.

Probably not getting power locks & windows or A/C either. Truly base, plus hardtop and anti-spin axle. Basically as the jeep gods intended.

I told myself that if the reports were bad enough I would consider just buying a different vehicle. I don't think it'll come to that. They're only improving from here on out, right?

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
And the other good thing is the simpler the model you get, the less chance you might have some of those issues. As a 6 speed buyer I'm not concerned about problems with the 8 speed auto, for instance.

Probably not getting power locks & windows or A/C either. Truly base, plus hardtop and anti-spin axle. Basically as the jeep gods intended.

I told myself that if the reports were bad enough I would consider just buying a different vehicle. I don't think it'll come to that. They're only improving from here on out, right?
Even at that the 8 Speed is now a 10 year old transmission and should be good to go!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
NOTHING against all the very lucky people that are ordering or buying a beautiful new 2018 Wrangler, but who else is out there that that says "I'm waiting for next year" and what are your reasons? I personally think they'll iron out any production kinks they find, have more widely available options than they do at launch (sky one touch power top, diesel, and maybe a hybrid option next year). Trust me... I'm going crazy waiting but the payoff will be HUGE.
I'm going to come in here and stir up some :swear:. I've had mine about 3 weeks, and it hasn't thrown any codes, fallen apart, nor revealed any fit/finish issues. It is leak, rattle, and squeak free, and delivers nothing but beautiful Penta-music to my ears when I rip through the gears! My JK, which was delivered as a 2nd model year unit, had several problems that immediately came to light....faulty trailer wiring and a stereo that distorted, needing a reflash. It also had a clunk from the B-pillars that was fixed by adjusting the latches. (The ones you can use for a bottle opener, that holds the door shut. It turned out to be a wonderful machine, though, so a few problems don't make a lemon.

I may one day eat my words, but so far, so good. I'll keep you posted!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm waiting to order one of the last of the 2018s. Hopefully they get most of the bugs worked out by then and I can also avoid the BSG.
What bugs? I've heard of nothing consistent, and among forum members, very few issues, at all.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am waiting for Diesel and power top combo. Also crossing my fingers for the heritage interior.
What would the heritage interior have? Man, I'll bet that diesel will be something!

OP
OP
pantheman75

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cherokee Limited, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
The diesel and power top alone are worth the wait.

C5er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
My rule has always been wait until year 2 , but I was about to violate that rule and go for a JL, but seeing all the initial issues is bringing me back to waiting.
Sponsored