Sponsored

Did Jeep Officially "OK" 35s on Rubicons?

Recursion

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Can anyone confirm that Jeep Officially blessed the use of 35" tires on the Rubicon? I'm analyzing whether 35s would void or limit the factory or extended warranties.
TIA
Sponsored

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Can anyone confirm that Jeep Officially blessed the use of 35" tires on the Rubicon? I'm analyzing whether 35s would void or limit the factory or extended warranties.
TIA
Almost everything that I have heard, read and seen blesses the JL Rubi's with the ability to replace the 33's with 35's. (You also have to change the wheels, as the stock wheels are too narrow... according to the tire recommendations and warranty.) I have read a few posts stating that there may be some slight rubbing with extreme spring compression. For most of us, that will probably never happen. The 2018-2019 Rubicon's have about a 2" lift advantage and higher mounted fenders than the Sport, Sport S and Sahara models, creating the extra room for the 35's. I really hope that 35's are a factory option on the 2020 Rubicons.

OP
OP
Recursion

Recursion

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Almost everything that I have heard, read and seen blesses the JL Rubi's with the ability to replace the 33's with 35's. (You also have to change the wheels, as the stock wheels are too narrow... according to the tire recommendations and warranty.) I have read a few posts stating that there may be some slight rubbing with extreme spring compression. For most of us, that will probably never happen. The 2018-2019 Rubicon's have about a 2" lift advantage and higher mounted fenders than the Sport, Sport S and Sahara models, creating the extra room for the 35's. I really hope that 35's are a factory option on the 2020 Rubicons.
Agreed. That's what I've concluded as well. I'm trying to figure out any warranty issues from mounting 35s. The Factory Warranty and/or Extended Service Contract (can't remember exactly right now) excludes damage "caused by oversized tires." So if they "blessed" 35s, then they aren't oversized tired. I've called my local dealer who said no worries with 35s, but I'd rather get a more definitive answer...especially since I might move one day & be at the mercy of another dealer.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
This is always a topic on every automotive forum. The thing is, there is no definitive authoritative answer to this question or else it would be in a written policy somewhere. A dealer can tell you anything but that doesn’t guarantee that what they tell you will be honored if/when a problem arises. One dealer might fight to get you covered for an issue that another might deny right from the start.

Any modification that’s not OEM or equivalent is subject to be something that warranty won’t cover. For example a different tire or wheel of equivalent size and construction of OEM would be covered. Bigger, heavier, lesser construction quality, etc. can all introduce factors beyond FCA’s control that might cause a failure that’s not due to a defect on their part.

So in short, nobody can tell you that with 100% certainty. YMMV.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Amric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 TJ Rubicon, 2018 JL Rubicon
I installed the Mopar 2" lift and 37" tires, and then took it to my dealership, and they certified the install IN WRITING that it was done correctly and would be fully covered under warranty.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I installed the Mopar 2" lift and 37" tires, and then took it to my dealership, and they certified the install IN WRITING that it was done correctly and would be fully covered under warranty.
Would you be willing to share what that looks like?

Aljeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Easy solution is to just slap some smaller tire on there if you need warranty work done. Its not hard to find people offloading stock wrangler sets on Craigslist/Facebook for really cheap.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
If a dealership feels it’s financially beneficial for them to modify and then warranty that vehicle that is certainly they’re right. BUT that warranty will only be valid at that dealer and will not be valid at the dealer across the street or with FCA. As others have mentioned if it’s not in writing it doesn’t exist if jeep gave their blessing in writing I want a copy , post a link I can print take it in the dealer and verify that it’s real and not fake news.
A bunch of anonymous people on the Internet saying one thing doesn’t mean anything to my very real in person dealership down the street. That’s reality.

Sponsored

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Who makes a 35 that’s approved to go on the factory Jeep 7.5” rim? I cannot find any.

26457813-5AF9-45C5-B60B-1EEE3C025F6B.png

Last edited:

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Who makes a 35 that’s approved to go on the factory Jeep 7.5” rim? I cannot find any.

I know Rubicons come with 17" wheels, but there's a few 285/75-18 tires that fit on a 7.5" wheel. They spec out to 34.8" which is a nominal 35" tire. So I guess you could take 18x7.5 Sahara wheels with 285/75-18 (35" x 11.5") and put them on a Rubicon ;)

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L

Discount Tire and a number of other professional installer companies WILL mount 315/70/17s on stock wrangler rims. A large number of folks on this board have that combo.

OP
OP
Recursion

Recursion

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Screenshot_20190512-115254.png

Im running "35"s now. No rub unless i crush the bump stops, but theyre also not a true 35. More like a 34. Accelera MT01.
You, sir, have won the Internet. Thanks.

OP
OP
Recursion

Recursion

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Discount Tire Direct specs the 315 70 17 C for 7.5-11". :)

Capture1.JPG
Sponsored