Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
It’a looking more and more likely that FCA and Renault are going to merge. FCA has submitted a formal merger proposal today.

Fiat Crysler Automobiles NV proposed a merger with Renault SA to create the world’s third-biggest carmaker as manufacturers scramble for scale to tackle an expensive shift to electrification and autonomous driving.

The transaction would be structured as a 50-50 ownership through a Dutch holding company, Fiat said Monday. Renault shareholders, including the French government, would get an implied premium of about 10%. In a statement, Renault’s board said it would study what it called a “friendly” proposal

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-proposes-plan-to-merge-with-france-s-renault
Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
It’a looking more and more likely that FCA and Renault are going to merge. FCA has submitted a formal merger proposal today.

Fiat Crysler Automobiles NV proposed a merger with Renault SA to create the world’s third-biggest carmaker as manufacturers scramble for scale to tackle an expensive shift to electrification and autonomous driving.

The transaction would be structured as a 50-50 ownership through a Dutch holding company, Fiat said Monday. Renault shareholders, including the French government, would get an implied premium of about 10%. In a statement, Renault’s board said it would study what it called a “friendly” proposal

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-proposes-plan-to-merge-with-france-s-renault
Quality will be hopeless.

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab, 2019 BMW 335, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon, 2018 BMW 435i
Occupation
Broker/Owner
Look at Nissan since its 20 year doomed relationship with Renault, the quality has dropped off a cliff. I guess the bright side to this one will be that the quality of the Jeep can’t fall much farther.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Quality will be hopeless.
I said that when Fiat bought Chrysler. Now I have the best of all the Wranglers I've ever owned, by far, in every way.

In fact, the fit/finish on this Jeep is as good or better than any vehicle I've owned, and I've owned GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, and Mercedes.

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
I said that when Fiat bought Chrysler. Now I have the best of all the Wranglers I've ever owned, by far, in every way.

In fact, the fit/finish on this Jeep is as good or better than any vehicle I've owned, and I've owned GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, and Mercedes.
I was always a GM guy and now I own a Ram that feels better than a Chevy and a Jeep to boot that has a great fit and finish. FCA has been great for Chrysler. Better than when Daimler raided the company.

But Renault, eh.... having visions of AMC all over again.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe they’ll bring back square headlights! Lol

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was always a GM guy and now I own a Ram that feels better than a Chevy and a Jeep to boot that has a great fit and finish. FCA has been great for Chrysler. Better than when Daimler raided the company.

But Renault, eh.... having visions of AMC all over again.
Lol, same here. I've got a Ford Transit and love it, but the quality of interior components is horrible. Pieces are constantly falling off and breaking.

Remember Fiat's reputation, though. It was terrible, and worse than Renault. I was in France a couple years ago and saw some pretty nice Renault cars. It sounds to me like a merger would be more of a pooling of resources for future powertrain tech. FCA is on the upswing while Renault is stuck in the mud. I think the FCA portfolio would be more likely to be the basis for advancement, but mostly it will be capital that will be the benefit to both. Toyota and GM's size is their biggest asset in moving forward, so by becoming #3, they'd level the playing field a bit.

I'm not too worried at this point. If I'm an investor, I'll generally take FCA's management and keep them and give Renault's the boot, if it is a full merger. (Of course, I'd keep the Renault people who perform and get rid of the FCA people who don't, and vice versa.) Manly would obviously stay and become CEO of it all.

I do love the internet where I can pretend to know what the hell I'm talking about. :like:

ASMSAS

First Name
Marlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aviation
In a statement, Renault’s board said it would study what it called a “friendly” proposal.”

As Renault is THE French brand I highly doubt any merger would be truly 50/50 or favor anyone other than Renault first.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

I am very happy with my JL so far with the exception of the doors. Love the Jeep Waves but not the ones on my doors. lol.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
The last good thing the French did was help us win the Revolution.
The last good thing the Italians did was...uh...hmmmm....uh...

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL

Most of the the existing Dodge/Crystler/Jeep lineup was so bad its gone. Alot of the Jeeps were garbage rebadged Fiats.
I agree its amazing they let Wrangler line do its thing without too much "help". The build quality on the JL is way below where it needs to be however, bad welds and loose bolts should not be happening in todays automated build world.

Every merger/take over is different, next time may not be so good. But you are right, ya never know

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Most of the the existing Dodge/Crystler/Jeep lineup was so bad its gone. Alot of the Jeeps were garbage rebadged Fiats.
I agree its amazing they let Wrangler line do its thing without too much "help". The build quality on the JL is way below where it needs to be however, bad welds and loose bolts should not be happening in todays automated build world.

Every merger/take over is different, next time may not be so good. But you are right, ya never know
I know those issues exist, but mine had none of them. Mine was VERY early production, as in late November/early December 2017. Welds were perfect and the only loose bolt was one my dealership overlooked when they installed the Mopar lift. The only issue I have found was a tiny drip of window adhesive on the rear quarter window of the hard top. That's it. 19,000 miles later, there have been no issues except with slight occasional steering wobble which I'm convinced wouldn't be there if not for the lift changing the castor angle. I'm fixing that issue myself.

Conventional wisdom said that Fiat would destroy Jeep. I remember people saying the sky was falling when that transaction took place.