First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
I just use a manual Harken hoist type of system.
Sponsored

JRV

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250/Stingray
What is the weight of the JL 4 door hardtop?

rep23jr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2011 BMW 535xD
Does anyone know the dimensions of the hard top for the JLU, or know where I can get them? Iā€™m expecting delivery within 3-4 weeks (KZ status!) and would like to get a head start on building a storage shelf in my garage. Apologies in advance if this has already been covered. Thanks!

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Can these tops not be lifted on and off with pure will power? (Honest question) I wouldnā€™t put it down on the ground like this guy, but seems a lot faster, cheaper, and practical than everything else on this thread....

I think that's (at least on the JKU) about 100 - 120 pounds above your head, that height, strength and balance all play a role in achieving.

I'd like to see one "light weight" on youtube doing this--especially on an Unlimited. And while the JLU's hardtop will weigh less, it will still be cumbersome.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 JT
Can these tops not be lifted on and off with pure will power? (Honest question) I wouldnā€™t put it down on the ground like this guy, but seems a lot faster, cheaper, and practical than everything else on this thread....

Yes, but the hoist will hold it up, out of the way, and ready to reinstall. If you have a garage, you back in, unbolt it, and raise it. Super simple, especially if you have a cordless impact with the correct torx bit.

Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
It is not so much the weight but rather the bulk. And boy if you drop it.

Jcsieman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Lexus RX 350
Yes, but the hoist will hold it up, out of the way, and ready to reinstall. If you have a garage, you back in, unbolt it, and raise it. Super simple, especially if you have a cordless impact with the correct torx bit.
I get the storage aspect vs leaving it on the lawn or losing the floor space in your garage for some sort of table/shelf (especially if you are limited in garage space). I was thinking more like take the top off for a day and put it back on at night. But in nicer strings of weather it would be nice to leave the top off for days/weeks at a time, and then you would need a better storage option. Iā€™m 6ā€™3ā€ and have a 3.5 car garage so saving the hassle/money on the pullies is a realistic option for me. I also saw where some had concerned about how hanging the certain parts of the top on straps could impact the seals(?). If I knew that wasnā€™t a problem, and found a pulley system that was clean looking and didnā€™t break the bank, I suppose I would go that route, too. Iā€™ll keep following this thread for that reason, but worst case my neighbors are going to see the top in my side lawn ha

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
No what you do is build a hanging shelf that occupies the void space above the level of your hood. First rig up the hoist So you can back in unhook the top and lift it off. The hoist should be high enough to get the top up to as high as practical above the the level of your hood. Be sure to have it far enough back to you can pull the jeep all the way in. Secure it there.
This is why a boat winch works really great. Now when you know where the top will be when suspended from the hoist. Mark four corners on the ceiling about 6 -10inches larger than the top. Use some decent eye bolts. I think the 1/4 inch ones were 800lb capacity and put them through the rafters in your garage.
next cut a 1/2 ply wood board to match. Reinforce the perimeter with 2x4s. And add eye bolt at each corner. Get 4 sections of chain each long enough to connect the upper eye bolt with screws links ( you will need 8 4 up and 4 down) to the lower eye bolts connect 2 on 1side then while the top is hanging swing the shelf base up under the top. And connect the other side now lower the top a few inches so it rests on the hanging shelf.

now the hanging shelf is complete you can lower the top on to it . Store the 2 front panels inside the top on the shelf and the top does not hang from the straps. It is secured by a hanging shelf and by the. Hoist. If you hung it high enough then you pull in with the hood under neath the shelf. No loss of garage space. No worries about parking out side top up or down. When you switch back you can store your soft top flat.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Last edited:

Sponsored

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase

Kentonator

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Freedom Edition
Just curious to see what you guys are using to remove your hard tops. I am looking at the hoist from Liftop Pros. Itā€™s pricey but looks very sturdy.

https://www.topliftpros.com/
I have a Toplift Pro and love it. Very easy to remove and replace top, takes about 2 minutes, if that long. I used it in a small one car garage (have since moved to bigger house), and it fit with the jeep in the garage. Extremely sturdy and safe, easy to move with the rollers and they lock into place.
Yes itā€™s expensive but the ease of use and convenience became well worth the $$ after I used it a few times, and I use it often.
Iā€™m happy to answer any questions.

9CE2A48D-2DFB-4B4C-A2A4-0015C178D893.jpeg

zodleviton

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...still waiting
I'm looking to set up with the Harken Hoister. It's pretty cheap, but more importantly, simple...and it leaves room to park the vehicle underneath. I've asked this question on a couple of different threads already without an answer...But will the Harken Hoister for the JK work with the JL? It seems so simple, why would it not????

As for the seals issue that JCSIEMAN raised, I read another thread that there are some people, who purchase the "pool noodle" rafts...They slice them down the middle, place them over the seals, and it acts to "protect it" for lack of a better term.

But again, if anyone has used the JK Harken Hoister for their new JL, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Can these tops not be lifted on and off with pure will power? (Honest question) I wouldnā€™t put it down on the ground like this guy, but seems a lot faster, cheaper, and practical than everything else on this thread
Sure, you can. The hoist concept is to lift it up and out of the way for storage in a garage type space presumably being able to park back underneath it. If you can leave your top out somewhere else, then yes certainly lift it off and set it somewhere.
Sponsored