Sponsored

3.0L EcoDiesel Jeep JL Wrangler Spied!

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
Haha I was talking Manual Transmissions..
LOL! Can't believe I misunderstood the question?! LOL! Well at least I made you guys laugh. :)
Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I’d be interested in it for sure. When I trade mine in in probably 3-5 years I’d be very interested in the diesel depending on the cost of entry. Looking forward to official pricing etc
Wait, what?! You’re not keeping it forever and ever and ever? Passed down from generation to generation to generation to generation.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Modern Diesel Engines are a PITA. I was hopeful for this until I remembered modern diesels now need that DEF fluid crap. Screw all that emissions now.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Yes I am arguing that

Overall cost of owning a diesel, cost at pump, etc etc etc....

You say more fuel efficient, I'm saying so what?!!

Your not saving anything in the end

Yes more mileage per but your burning fuel for longer which isnt good for the tree huggers

So, again, what's the benefit other than saying you own a diesel Jeep?
The benefit is the way a diesel deals with weight. Once you load the Jeep up with armor, winch, gear, large tires, etc, the performance from the anemic v6 is readily apparent. Diesels handle extra weight MUCH better. Anyone that buys a diesel JL/JT to save money is an idiot. It will likely be a 5-6k option (but will include the mandatory automatic transmission). Saying the diesel only gets a few mpg more than a gasser is also inaccurate. While from the showroom floor that is correct, as mentioned, load the vehicles up, put on big tires, and the diesel will get MUCH closer to the EPA numbers vs the gasser. The difference gets much larger when you add grades, slow going offroad, etc. The gasser can combat this by adding turbos, but sadly the pentastar is snail-less.....so it gets affected A LOT more by weight and grades being NA.

Sponsored

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Problem with diesel these days is all of the emissions related items. This was more than hit on in other comments, however really in the long run diesel are very expensive to maintain, and in particular EGR cooling systems (clogging), PDF cleaner/burner (long term maintenance and removal for baking in an Autoclave) , and couple that with any sort of traditional potential failure... fuel pump, etc, and your talking a lot of cash. Diesel is at home on the highway on long, long trips where they do their best. Where they fail is in every day, short trips to and from the market, movies, and what have you.

About 5 or 8 years ago I looked at purchasing a 1-ton Ford F350 as a daily driver, but after weighing the pros and cons of such a truck, I just couldn't bite off the chance of any issues along with the 120 buck oil changes.

My last diesel was a '04 Jetta. Loved that thing, 42-50mpg on the highway, and ran forever. But that was before all of this emissions nonsense. I'd really like to have a diesel vehicle, but I cannot see clear to justify one, including, much less a Jeep. Furthermore, this Diesel Jeep does not make sense to me from a sales point of view. Now if we were in a country where diesel was cheaper than gasoline, then yea. I would get that.

Do your research if you've got plans on getting a diesel. For what it's worth, at the time I was looking at the diesel pickup, there were a number of DPF delete kits on the market, along with the required programmers. I do understand in the years following the federal government went after the programmers because that whole "rolling coal" scene came to fruition and, and like everything else, ruined a good thing for the rest of us.

I see there's DPF delete kits for the 3.0 Diesel but slated with the words "racing, or competition use only" Here's a waiver from one of the suppliers in case you have any doubt has to how serious the federal government is about DPF delete kits.

https://dalessuperstore.com/waiver

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Just posted this in the dedicated diesel section having not noticed this thread.

By me just about every Rubicon is lifted. Big tires appear to crave this option unless getting considerably less range works for one’s needs.

My thought process:
37 tires
Steel bumpers
Trailering
Love me some torque
Often drive 200-500 miles round trip
Very infrequent off-road but nice to have this day I need it

My hurdle is still the EPA requirements to keep this covered under warranty and I’m not looking to puff black smoke on others so I need to find a way to live with that but if I can’t get extended warranty than that may persuade me walk away since I’m not looking forward to future expensive repairs or maintenance.

nypharm

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO
Cracks me up when people say more fuel efficient

Isnt diesel gas much more expensive than regular gas?

So.....what's the savings and or gains??
Having had a diesel BMW x5. That got double the fuel economy of regular x5. I can attribute long road trips and around town, you more than make up difference in fuel savings plus the added benefit is diesels retain better resale value usually.

Oh yea and 400lbs + of torque, gave it v8 like power. If a diesel 4 door Rubicon can get 25 on highway vs 17. That's a win in my book. Extra 120 miles on a tank won't hurt.

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Having had a diesel BMW x5. That got double the fuel economy of regular x5. I can attribute long road trips and around town, you more than make up difference in fuel savings plus the added benefit is diesels retain better resale value usually.

Oh yea and 400lbs + of torque, gave it v8 like power. If a diesel 4 door Rubicon can get 25 on highway vs 17. That's a win in my book. Extra 120 miles on a tank won't hurt.
I've seen a few of these diesel BMW's and I think they do it right with their motors. I'm unsure how they last in regards to the potential fouling of all of the related emissions equipment in the long run, however this is one of the few motors that seems like it *may* be reliable (I believe its based on the traditional 3.0 liter inline six gasser, with beefed up internals, they've been making forever which is way reliable, although I've not researched this to any degree). BMW's seem a bit magical with their MPG efficiency in my past experiences with them, even their gasoline models.

nypharm

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO
I've seen a few of these diesel BMW's and I think they do it right with their motors. I'm unsure how they last in regards to the potential fouling of all of the related emissions equipment in the long run, however this is one of the few motors that seems like it *may* be reliable (I believe its based on the traditional 3.0 liter inline six gasser, with beefed up internals, they've been making forever which is way reliable, although I've not researched this to any degree). BMW's seem a bit magical with their MPG efficiency in my past experiences with them, even their gasoline models.
Yea emissions wise they are nighwares with blue urea liquid. However in terms of a Turbo diesel and 8 speed auto, the x5 drove amazing. I know that wrangler is not a x5 or a BMW. However a diesel application option might open up new possibilities for this platform and gladiator. I love high torque diesels and mpg gains will be significant since the 8 speed is a zf unit. Same transmission all the germans use.

Sponsored

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
Modern Diesel Engines are a PITA. I was hopeful for this until I remembered modern diesels now need that DEF fluid crap. Screw all that emissions now.
Not once the warrant is up. ;)

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Problem with diesel these days is all of the emissions related items. This was more than hit on in other comments, however really in the long run diesel are very expensive to maintain, and in particular EGR cooling systems (clogging), PDF cleaner/burner (long term maintenance and removal for baking in an Autoclave) , and couple that with any sort of traditional potential failure... fuel pump, etc, and your talking a lot of cash. Diesel is at home on the highway on long, long trips where they do their best. Where they fail is in every day, short trips to and from the market, movies, and what have you.

About 5 or 8 years ago I looked at purchasing a 1-ton Ford F350 as a daily driver, but after weighing the pros and cons of such a truck, I just couldn't bite off the chance of any issues along with the 120 buck oil changes.

My last diesel was a '04 Jetta. Loved that thing, 42-50mpg on the highway, and ran forever. But that was before all of this emissions nonsense. I'd really like to have a diesel vehicle, but I cannot see clear to justify one, including, much less a Jeep. Furthermore, this Diesel Jeep does not make sense to me from a sales point of view. Now if we were in a country where diesel was cheaper than gasoline, then yea. I would get that.

Do your research if you've got plans on getting a diesel. For what it's worth, at the time I was looking at the diesel pickup, there were a number of DPF delete kits on the market, along with the required programmers. I do understand in the years following the federal government went after the programmers because that whole "rolling coal" scene came to fruition and, and like everything else, ruined a good thing for the rest of us.

I see there's DPF delete kits for the 3.0 Diesel but slated with the words "racing, or competition use only" Here's a waiver from one of the suppliers in case you have any doubt has to how serious the federal government is about DPF delete kits.

https://dalessuperstore.com/waiver
You are right, but if you're that worried about it, there will be DEF/EGR delete kits 15 minutes after the vehicle gets released so you always have that option.

Jeep It

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S in Firecracker Red
The benefit is the way a diesel deals with weight. Once you load the Jeep up with armor, winch, gear, large tires, etc, the performance from the anemic v6 is readily apparent. Diesels handle extra weight MUCH better. Anyone that buys a diesel JL/JT to save money is an idiot. It will likely be a 5-6k option (but will include the mandatory automatic transmission). Saying the diesel only gets a few mpg more than a gasser is also inaccurate. While from the showroom floor that is correct, as mentioned, load the vehicles up, put on big tires, and the diesel will get MUCH closer to the EPA numbers vs the gasser. The difference gets much larger when you add grades, slow going offroad, etc. The gasser can combat this by adding turbos, but sadly the pentastar is snail-less.....so it gets affected A LOT more by weight and grades being NA.
Thinking the same thing on my way home today. Those with lifts and 35s or bigger would benefit from the extra torque to keep those wheels turning on the highway without having to bury the throttle all the time. Reminds me of my uncle’s 379 Peterbuilt with a C15 Acert CAT. Low rpm torque monster that once you got up to speed, the torque kept you there with minimal effort.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Actually its more like 1% of Jeeps. While the aftermarket community may feel large especially when you are on a forum like this, we represent a very small fraction of the entire Wrangler market.
Worldwide...yes. Nationwide I’d be surprised if it were only 1%. Single digits definitely. Narrow it down to state-level markets and you’re well into the double digit percentages in some. Come visit AK if you want to see what I’m getting at.
Sponsored