Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon jl
Fuel efficiency does not equal cost to operate which is what you are referencing. So I will do a comparison on my two vehicles fuel-efficiency vs cost:
JKUR with 21 gallon tank (325 miles) + 11 gallon aux tank (~180 miles)= 530 miles and costs $2.50 a gallon for a grand total of $80.
Jeep liberty diesel with 20 gallon tank = 530 miles costs $3 a gallon for a grand total of $60.
Now you can certainly argue that the higher initial cost will offset any savings in fuel costs but you aren't arguing that, you are arguing fuel-efficiency which the diesel is more fuel-efficient because it will burn less fuel over a given distance also referenced as mpg.
Yes I am arguing that

Overall cost of owning a diesel, cost at pump, etc etc etc....

You say more fuel efficient, I'm saying so what?!!

Your not saving anything in the end

Yes more mileage per but your burning fuel for longer which isnt good for the tree huggers

So, again, what's the benefit other than saying you own a diesel Jeep?

KingCon

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon jl
Everyone debating fuel efficiency for the diesel...if you watch the JL reveal video...FCA claimed 30+ MPG...that would definitely offset any additional fuel cost. Especially once you’ve added bigger tires and more weight...that torque number is gonna be your friend then. Of course...this is all assuming that it truly does reach their claimed MPG...that has yet to be seen...
Bigger tires(i.e. 99% of Jeeps) will devour that 30+ claim

It's all marketing sales bs

Keep the diesels on tugboats

JDaPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
The benefit is I enjoy the torque when driving as it feels like V8 power wise with 4 cylinder mpg, I enjoy driving 3+ weeks to work and back without having to stop at a gas station. I have owned my jeep for 14 years and the break even point for it was at 6 years, so for me, it has been cheaper to own over the long run.
I am not asking you to buy one and I certainly don't care about your opinion of what I do with my money/jeep but if you are going to come into a thread about diesels and call out people who do buy them, your argument should at least be logical. I'll help you out: All costs considered (initial, maintenance, etc.) if you are simply buying it for cost savings it will take 6-10 years to break even.

If you are buying it for the other intangibles like torque and range than the costs will be worth it but can not be quantified.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Diesel down the street from me right now is $3.04...87 octane gas is $3.29. Even if that was reversed, the range and low-RPM torque would be worth the price of entry. If your circumstances and value judgements are different, good for you. Be glad you live in a world with choices that can fit your needs, but don’t pretend like the rest of the world lives in the same situation.

Sponsored

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I don’t care about cost of ownership. What I do care about is range. Am I willing to pay more to be more fuel efficient, yes. The debate about jerry cans, or aux
tanks is irrelevant, since I’d want those with a diesel as well.

When I head into the back country, I want to try and avoid civilization as long as possible and not make gas stations a planned stop.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of people upset over an OPTION.... If you like the 3.6 then just get the 3.6 and stop worrying about the people that like the 2.0 and the Diesel.... They're allowed to option out their Jeeps to fit what they want out of it.

If you want a 2 door 3.6 Rubicon with a Manual Transmission then get one. If you want a 2.0 Sahara with the Power top then get one. If you want the diesel in your Rubicon then get one... Its that simple and y'all are wasting your time trying to convince someone else that your setup is right for all jeeps and nothing else is right... :facepalm:

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The diesel could get 35 MPG, but the first time you have to do a head job or fuel injection pump job out of warranty, every penny of your fuel savings goes out the window, along with a portion of your 401k.

Ownership is about more than life at the fuel pump.

Sponsored

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Wondering what's going on in the ass of that thing, down below... I'm personally not into major rock crawling, but don't you think those bits and pieces are going to affect the departure angle of the vehicle for someone who might be concerned about those values?

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
A lot of people upset over an OPTION.... If you like the 3.6 then just get the 3.6 and stop worrying about the people that like the 2.0 and the Diesel.... They're allowed to option out their Jeeps to fit what they want out of it.

If you want a 2 door 3.6 Rubicon with a Manual Transmission then get one. If you want a 2.0 Sahara with the Power top then get one. If you want the diesel in your Rubicon then get one... Its that simple and y'all are wasting your time trying to convince someone else that your setup is right for all jeeps and nothing else is right... :facepalm:

Thanks, Mom. We’re sorry.
Actually I was the first to say I didn’t see a need. Didnt hate on anyone, just expressed an opinion.
Since then, I’ve read some persuasive arguments for the diesel.
I still don’t need one, but am persuaded that some do.
Spirited discussion can be enlightening.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
If this would've been available in a 2 door and a manual I would've waited for sure. I love diesels. Had a 2014 TDI Jetta and a 2015 TDI Golf. Those diesels were sweet! But I wanted a 2 door and a manual so I went with the 3.6 Liter Gasoline engine a few months ago instead.
Are they not coming in M/T?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I don’t know lol I was just asking/wondering.

I love the torque but glad I didn’t wait because if it isn’t available in an M/T I would have never gotten it anyways lol

3.6 M/T here..
Looks like no manual and no 2-door. I just posted a link above. I would want a 2-door so no love for me either. lol.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, Mom. We’re sorry.
Actually I was the first to say I didn’t see a need. Didnt hate on anyone, just expressed an opinion.
Since then, I’ve read some persuasive arguments for the diesel.
I still don’t need one, but am persuaded that some do.
Spirited discussion can be enlightening.
You weren't the target, but there are several comments in this thread that are basically the same negative ones I've seen in the 2.0 threads and the Plug-in hybrid threads.
Sponsored