Selec trac and Air lockers

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
If you wear out a clutch pack in 20k miles, something is drastically wrong.
Well, no I mean, I'm just re-quoting what someone said regarding clutch packs, how much ever miles a clutch would wear out in. Just another wear item to replace right?
Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Well, no I mean, I'm just re-quoting what someone said regarding clutch packs, how much ever miles a clutch would wear out in. Just another wear item to replace right?
True but plenty of mods/upgrades are wearable...

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
I notice a clicking noise from my SelecTrac transfer case while driving through deep sand, especially while turning, in 4HI and 4LO. it sounds similar to an ABS system but I'm pretty sure it's coming from the transfer case. are the clutch packs in the transfer case used to control 4HI and 4LO too? if so, does the Rubicon RocTrac transfer case uses gears in lieu of clutch packs for 4HI and 4LO?

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I notice a clicking noise from my SelecTrac transfer case while driving through deep sand, especially while turning, in 4HI and 4LO. it sounds similar to an ABS system but I'm pretty sure it's coming from the transfer case. are the clutch packs in the transfer case used to control 4HI and 4LO too? if so, does the Rubicon RocTrac transfer case uses gears in lieu of clutch packs for 4HI and 4LO?
The clutch packs are electronically "locked" to provide the 50/50 torque transfer in 4-Hi and 4-Low. You shouldn't have a clicking noise, I'd guess its related to the output shaft or CV joints possibly.

The Rubicon's 241OR transfer case does not use clutch packs, it uses traditional gears and chains.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Miles aren’t a great way to measure the wear of clutch based components. think about the various “clutches” that may be on a single Jeep. The clutch on a manual transmission is used every single time you change gears. Lots of people stand on it when at stop signs, red lights, etc. It is engaged very often and that is all wear time. The clutch on the Selec Trac is engaged only when in 4H auto, and a slip condition is detected. So that means, almost never. I’m sure it’s not built to the same standard as the transmission clutch, but there is no reason to believe it will be a wear part worth worrying about.

As far as the LSD goes, I have no idea how that works.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Just to clarify, are you talking about 4H Auto/4H Part-Time/both?

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Hi,
I'm new at this game and might be obvious for others but I've ordered an Sahara with the Selec trac.
Now is it possible to put air lockers on this vehicle? Only front,or both Back and front without messing up the Selec trac system?
Asked Jeep Customer Service but they didn't give me an answer because I'm in New Zealand and not the U.S.
Here in NZ none off the Dealers could give me an answer, probably because we're still waiting for the first JL to arrive.
HI Onno. I have a Sahara with Selec Trac. I've appreciated the discussion as I've been curious myself how it all works. If you ever get a real world answer I'd love to hear it. Is this an avenue you're really looking to pursue or are you just curious.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Onno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for the New JL to come to New Zealand
HI Onno. I have a Sahara with Selec Trac. I've appreciated the discussion as I've been curious myself how it all works. If you ever get a real world answer I'd love to hear it. Is this an avenue you're really looking to pursue or are you just curious.
Hi Terence, Yes I'm definitely want to to do this, I've spoken to ARB here in NZ and they said that it wouldn't create any problems.

Now I'm a novice and there is a lot off technical talk but I was thinking that you would only use your Lockers in 4Low? So then it wouldn't interfere with the selec trac anyway?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Hi Terence, Yes I'm definitely want to to do this, I've spoken to ARB here in NZ and they said that it wouldn't create any problems.

Now I'm a novice and there is a lot off technical talk but I was thinking that you would only use your Lockers in 4Low? So then it wouldn't interfere with the selec trac anyway?
You can use air lockers in 2H,4H, or 4L. The factory rubicon lockers limit you to 4L, but that doesn’t mean much.

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara

Well I'm really curious how it all comes out. Definitely keep us informed.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
A simple solution to avoid all the questions would be to only use a locker in the rear.
That being said I've talked to some long time Jeepers and they are saying that if you have the Dana M200 (the newer version of the Dana 35) in the rear you should be upgrading those axles to chromoly shafts if you are sticking a locker on them.
These axles are not as robust as the Dana 44 axles. We too have a Sahara w/out select trac and plan on putting chromoly shafts in when we throw a locker on it and will be upgrading to 35s from 33s.
One guy on here talked to Dana/Spycer and they said the M200 can handle 33s on and off road no problem BUT if you are throwing 35s on it and intend to do any serious off roading... well don't do that they said. The only way to be safe is to upgrade the shafts is the jist of it.

We've got open diffs and in 4LO have had no problems getting over some serious rocks. That's with stock axle and 33s on it.

OP
OP

Onno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for the New JL to come to New Zealand
A simple solution to avoid all the questions would be to only use a locker in the rear.
That being said I've talked to some long time Jeepers and they are saying that if you have the Dana M200 (the newer version of the Dana 35) in the rear you should be upgrading those axles to chromoly shafts if you are sticking a locker on them.
These axles are not as robust as the Dana 44 axles. We too have a Sahara w/out select trac and plan on putting chromoly shafts in when we throw a locker on it and will be upgrading to 35s from 33s.
One guy on here talked to Dana/Spycer and they said the M200 can handle 33s on and off road no problem BUT if you are throwing 35s on it and intend to do any serious off roading... well don't do that they said. The only way to be safe is to upgrade the shafts is the jist of it.

We've got open diffs and in 4LO have had no problems getting over some serious rocks. That's with stock axle and 33s on it.
Thanks, definitely something to think about!
Sponsored