First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
  • Banned
First of all, how are you guys?

Long and short, been a lurker and commenter with a notable avatar and lately have been determined to join the ranks next year

Got most things figured out (Manual, 2dr, Hardtop, few packages), but after speccing both trims, can't decide if the $7k difference is worth it

Basically, it'd be a weekend toy that would be taken off road and on road trips. Will go offroading with my Rebel, but obviously not as much as it's a work truck/Daily.

Figure the Rubi has:

Bigger brakes
Front sway bar disconnect
Navi
LED lighting
4:10
Hood

I'm big on modding, so it's more for the $7k, would it be better to DIY or retrofit a few things or start from the top and go from there?

Thanks in Advance,

Rogue
Sponsored

jljeepster

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR Granite Gray
Went back and forth like this when getting my JLR last fall. To me the biggest reason for getting the rubi was the front and rear lockers along with the 4:10 gears. Doesn't seem like I would have been able to touch that aftermarket for the 7k.

Also I had mine in to have the front end tightened up and they gave a jlu as a loaner for a couple of days. All I can say is that I REALLY missed the LED lighting and NAV system. And yes your correct the hood is awesome. ;D

Regards

Long and short, been a lurker and commenter with a notable avatar and lately have been determined to join the ranks next year

Got most things figured out (Manual, 2dr, Hardtop, few packages), but after speccing both trims, can't decide if the $7k difference is worth it

Basically, it'd be a weekend toy that would be taken off road and on road trips. Will go offroading with my Rebel, but obviously not as much as it's a work truck/Daily.

Figure the Rubi has:

Bigger brakes
Navi
LED lighting
Hood

I'm big on modding, so it's more for the $7k, would it be better to DIY or retrofit a few things or start from the top and go from there?

Thanks in Advance,

Rogue

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
What's the base vehicle (Sport or Sport S?) If you're gonna replace all the stuff that makes a Rubicon different then start with the more basic model. If you won't be changing the Rubi specific bits (bigger axles, brakes, e-disco) and just doing the more typical lift, bumpers, wheels/tires then the Rubi might make more sense. It also depends a lot on your intended usage: trails or rock crawling? The lower gears on the Rubi would be better for the latter, and any Jeep can do most of the trails out there.

But based on your comment that you're big on modding I'd probably go for the base unit and build from there. Again, unless the Rubi specific bits are worth it to you.

Last edited:

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Fake hood vents doesn't make it offroad better.
Navigation is better done by an ipad with Gaia gps.
LED lighting doesn't make it a better offroad vehicle.
You can buy sway bar disconnects for a sport.
You can regear to whatever gears you want in a sport.
Bigger brakes? Nice but not necessary for good offroading.

That leaves the transfer case. In my personal experience, that (4:1 ratio) is really nice for rock crawling. 100% not necessary for 99.989% of miles and miles of other trails. Lockers are easy to add as well.

If you plan on upgrading your Jeep, it's literally a waste of money to buy a Rubicon then take all the Rubicon stuff off and buy new stuff.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
What he said...I bought a Sport S but went into it with big mod plans and would have just ended up with a very expensive hood sticker. You have to decide how far you want to go down the rabbit hole. For what you are describing it sounds like the Rubicon may be your best bet for out of the box 4-wheeling capabilities. I'm looking at about 20k + in upgrades by the time i'm done with my build for informational purposes.

Sponsored

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Huh? Bigger brakes are definitely worth it off-road. The Rubicon has much more than the OP listed; it has thicker axles and axle shafts, bigger diffs to handle larger tires, better gearing, better tcase, high clearance fenders, skid plates etc... if you plan on buying a sport and putting Dana 60s, high clearance fenders, better transfer case, skid plates etc you’ll be well over $7k in the axles alone. And you still need a lift. The axles in a sport can’t the abuse of 35+ inch tires off-road.

Being that Rubicons can run 35s with no modifications and 37s with little modification, maintain drivability and perform off-road more than majority of drivers can handle, I’d say it’s well worth the extra money. I really don’t know why people lie to themselves about the value of a Rubicon. Granted, if you don’t need what a Rubicon offers, then don’t buy one. Sports are plenty capable to do whatever you’d really like. But to say it’s not worth it because you’re lifting it and changing tires is mind numbingly stupid. Not to mention resale being a ton better, if that even matters to you.

OP, no one can answer if it’s worth it, to you. It’s your money. However, the Rubicon is well worth the extra coin when you factor in the capabilities it offers and the features off-road goodies it has related to its cost.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue

Figure the Rubi has:

Bigger brakes
Navi
LED lighting
Hood

Thanks in Advance,

Rogue
Rubicon also sits about 2" higher than the Sport S and the fenders are up higher for better tire clearance. I started off wanting to get the Sport S, but there are a few options that are only available on the Sahara and Rubicon, like the LED lighting. For a daily driver, LED lights are very important to me and it is hard to beat the factory LED's. Personally, I am not a fan of how the Sahara looks, except for the leather dash. But for me, I will be ordering the Rubicon. The only mods I plan on (at this time) are 35-37" tires, new wheels, wheel spacers, winch and a 2-4" lift. It is probably an overkill for what I need, but as my needs and wants evolve and grow, I feel the Rubicon will be there to deliver. Also, I hear that Rubicon's hold their value even better than the Sport or Sahara models.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep

Figure the Rubi has:

Bigger brakes
Navi
LED lighting
Hood

Thanks in Advance,

Rogue
LED lights are an available option on Rubicon, not standard.

Also your list is forgetting front & rear “wide-track” Dana 44’s with lockers and the high clearance front fenders.

Sponsored

imapseudonym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Hella Yella Rubicon
Fake hood vents doesn't make it offroad better.
Navigation is better done by an ipad with Gaia gps.
LED lighting doesn't make it a better offroad vehicle.
You can buy sway bar disconnects for a sport.
You can regear to whatever gears you want in a sport.
Bigger brakes? Nice but not necessary for good offroading.

That leaves the transfer case. In my personal experience, that (4:1 ratio) is really nice for rock crawling. 100% not necessary for 99.989% of miles and miles of other trails. Lockers are easy to add as well.

If you plan on upgrading your Jeep, it's literally a waste of money to buy a Rubicon then take all the Rubicon stuff off and buy new stuff.
Forgetting about one big expense, the axels.

But yeah, I agree. If you're going to replace everything and just beef it all up. Start cheap and put the money to use in mods :D

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

Figure the Rubi has:

Bigger brakes
Navi
LED lighting
Hood

Thanks in Advance,

Rogue
Other option is to buy an old JK and mod the crap out of it. You can find hemi swap JK’s that people have grown tired of with a ton of mods for about a new JLUS.....

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Huh? Bigger brakes are definitely worth it off-road. The Rubicon has much more than the OP listed; it has thicker axles and axle shafts, bigger diffs to handle larger tires, better gearing, better tcase, high clearance fenders, skid plates etc... if you plan on buying a sport and putting Dana 60s, high clearance fenders, better transfer case, skid plates etc you’ll be well over $7k in the axles alone. And you still need a lift. The axles in a sport can’t the abuse of 35+ inch tires off-road.

Being that Rubicons can run 35s with no modifications and 37s with little modification, maintain drivability and perform off-road more than majority of drivers can handle, I’d say it’s well worth the extra money. I really don’t know why people lie to themselves about the value of a Rubicon. Granted, if you don’t need what a Rubicon offers, then don’t buy one. Sports are plenty capable to do whatever you’d really like. But to say it’s not worth it because you’re lifting it and changing tires is mind numbingly stupid. Not to mention resale being a ton better, if that even matters to you.

OP, no one can answer if it’s worth it, to you. It’s your money. However, the Rubicon is well worth the extra coin when you factor in the capabilities it offers and the features off-road goodies it has related to its cost.
Reading this basically sold me, now to increase my savings
Sponsored