Options for carrying a canoe/kayak

ashleylynn1220

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Yakima raingutter rack with Yakima sweetroll kayak mounts/saddles. https://www.yakima.com/sweetroll
Great thanks! How do you like the set up so far? Just curious how you got two kayaks up there with the sweet rolls...it's saying a min of 24" between brackets so wondering if both of my kayaks will fit up there...mine are 29.5" wide. So I'm guessing both of mine might not fit since the crossbars themselves are usually 60". I am thinking of going with the Thule Aeroblades instead of the Yakima raingutter rack that you used.

Last edited:

Mailmanj4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Great thanks! How do you like the set up so far? Just curious how you got two kayaks up there with the sweet rolls...it's saying a min of 24" between brackets so wondering if both of my kayaks will fit up there...mine are 29.5" wide. So I'm guessing both of mine might not fit since the crossbars themselves are usually 60". I am thinking of going with the Thule Aeroblades instead of the Yakima raingutter rack that you used.

I like the setup a lot. Mine are 31” wide. They are snug but fit nicely. There isn’t much play on the outside of the mounts, with the cross bar, but enough that I have never had any issues. I have driven at freeway speeds and all was well. The tie downs cinch in really tight so the kayaks don’t get loose. I have door steps that help me get high enough to secure everything. The only drawback is the noise from the rack, especially when the kayaks aren’t mounted.

Sponsored

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
I got the max 3 with long pioneer rack, I discovered that the Malone Downloader kayak rack fit perfectly and very low profile, I got some 8mm slot nuts and put 2" 8mm bolts into top of Malones with washer under bolt head, the rack needed a tiny bit of filing on one of the end pieces so it didn't hit the rack when opening/closing, but it works perfect. the Malones are mounted in slot of the first full width slat on each side of the rack for two kayaks. I use the Malone loaders to easily get the kayaks up onto the rack and back down.

Achilleus07

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door
Has anyone tried the https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-Carrier/Yakima/Y01149-1150.html long arm?

I have 2 Vibe kayaks at 50lbs each/ 100 lbs together and I only transport them with roof off. I was thinking to place them on the Yakima longarm and then with a foam pad on the middle roll bar. Would this be ok? I only travel about 10 miles down the road 55 mph max. Thanks.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I used to just drop the top on my TJ and ratchet strap the kayak(s) down to the roll cage. But I guess that’s not an option with the hard top. Also I wasn’t driving very far, maybe 20 miles max.

Sponsored

JL18

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Anybody make an eyelet or something that replaces the front toe hooks, so I can tie a strap to it?

E7F1B22A-F86D-4626-8DE2-701DCA887952.jpeg

B8DA8EC1-D5B1-489A-BFD3-C2B1A251FE1B.jpeg

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder

missnico

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited
Hey guys, traded in my coupe for a Wrangler JLU a few months ago and looking forward to getting out on the water soon. Last year I just used foam bars and ratchet straps that I picked up when I bought my kayak and it worked fine for short trips.

I've been looking at picking up this rack (https://www.extremeterrain.com/rhino-rack-vortex-sg-2-bar-roof-rack-black-0717.html) and then just pop the kayak on top of that using the same foam and straps. I want to avoid scratching the top as much as possible. Could something like that work for a 10' kayak that is 44lbs?

Also does anyone have experience with using something like this to load (https://www.amazon.com/Seattle-Sports-Sherpak-Boat-Roller/dp/B009PAAI5I?th=1&psc=1). It seems like it maybe works with trucks that aren't as boxy, but could maybe do the trick. I'd like to be able to get it on an off myself and I am only 5'4".

Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 12.07.14 PM.png