Sponsored

How many of you Manual JLs out there like your 6speed?

the_webers_inc

First Name
T. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S 6spd, 2011 Subaru Forester X Premium 5spd
Really happy with the 6 speed in mine. The only downfall is it makes me wish my Forester had another gear at times.
Sponsored

Jeep47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door, 6-Speed
Embarrassingly, took me 2+ months and 1000 miles to sort out the new manual 6-speed in my '19 2-Door Rubicon. Have a couple other manuals I drive regularly with ease/effortlessly, but the JL gave me fits esp moving through the first two gears (i.e. five stalls, two grinds, and a couple lurches - felt like I was a kid learning stick again ... ugh).

Seemed like something uneven about the accelerator input that would shudder or over rev every fourth time or so even though near identical pedal positioning at both the clutch and accelerator (in those first two gears mainly). So annoying started to sell the new truck & plan to eat it to just go to auto - that agitated. However, after reading here from a few folks tried the Pedal Commander gadget (including the critiques that it really is only changing the accelerator input profile, nothing more - but still had promise I guess for me anyway). Bottom line, night & day difference - solved my problem anyway ... instantly.

Perkier in all gears, etc. of course but ultimately it made the manual great - I actually enjoy it (finally). Soooo, what pinched my ego was why?

Tinkering around I discovered what I guess you all know about the 2k RPM threshold in the 3.6 V6 (what the heck!), & that more accelerator input into all the shifts accomplishes the same thing basically (no gadget needed); albeit not as evenly, elegantly of course.

BOTTOM LINE

Anyhow, for anyone with previous manual experience that somehow isn't working on the new 6-speed on the JL for aggravatingly unknown seeming reasons ... *more accelerator* (stay at or above 2000 RPM) ... or if you don't want to change your stick/accelerator habits for just one vehicles nuances get the gadget.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Really wish i could have gotten the 6MT but my wife is not comfortable driving a manual and she wants to be able to use it without worry so we had to pay the $2K for the auto tranny. The "wife tax", as it may be.

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
Hey everyone, I currently own a 2018 JL RUBICON 6speed, and was wondering how many of you are out there ? Do you all have any issues with your tranny? love it? hate it? I test drove an automatic the other day and felt it was a bit faster than the manual , possibly due to no lag time between shifts, but I have been a manual person since I first started driving cars lolz, give me your feed back ! Thanks guys !
I’ve got a 2019 manual JLU and I like it. It is my first manual in about 8 years and it was really easy to just jump in and drive.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, it’s official... I’m 1500 miles in and so far I LOVE this 6-speed.

To me, the truck-like transmissions of my YJ and TJ (to a lesser extent) were characteristics of my jeeps but not necessary ones. I’m all for improvement in that arena. Smooth, tight shifting with little vibration and short(er) throws are all positives in my book.

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Embarrassingly, took me 2+ months and 1000 miles to sort out the new manual 6-speed in my '19 2-Door Rubicon. Have a couple other manuals I drive regularly with ease/effortlessly, but the JL gave me fits esp moving through the first two gears (i.e. five stalls, two grinds, and a couple lurches - felt like I was a kid learning stick again ... ugh).

Seemed like something uneven about the accelerator input that would shudder or over rev every fourth time or so even though near identical pedal positioning at both the clutch and accelerator (in those first two gears mainly). So annoying started to sell the new truck & plan to eat it to just go to auto - that agitated. However, after reading here from a few folks tried the Pedal Commander gadget (including the critiques that it really is only changing the accelerator input profile, nothing more - but still had promise I guess for me anyway). Bottom line, night & day difference - solved my problem anyway ... instantly.

Perkier in all gears, etc. of course but ultimately it made the manual great - I actually enjoy it (finally). Soooo, what pinched my ego was why?

Tinkering around I discovered what I guess you all know about the 2k RPM threshold in the 3.6 V6 (what the heck!), & that more accelerator input into all the shifts accomplishes the same thing basically (no gadget needed); albeit not as evenly, elegantly of course.

BOTTOM LINE

Anyhow, for anyone with previous manual experience that somehow isn't working on the new 6-speed on the JL for aggravatingly unknown seeming reasons ... *more accelerator* (stay at or above 2000 RPM) ... or if you don't want to change your stick/accelerator habits for just one vehicles nuances get the gadget.
So get a pedal commander, got it!

I was concerned about the abruptness of the clutch as well, though reading this, answered the question that it would of taken me a week to figure out

rmtcook

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport JL
I've put a little over 1k miles on my 2019 Wrangler Sport JL with MT in the 3 weeks I've had it. This is my first Jeep so I don't have anything to compare it to other than the cars I've had over the years, but I love the MT! I test drove an AT but to me there was no comparison. The MT felt like the way I thought a Jeep should feel, the AT like I was driving an SUV. I love the smooth shifting, and as has been said, keep it over 2k for power. I can't imagine what I'm going to do with 6th gear, but that's ok! I love the other 5!!

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Really wish i could have gotten the 6MT but my wife is not comfortable driving a manual and she wants to be able to use it without worry so we had to pay the $2K for the auto tranny. The "wife tax", as it may be.
Cheaper than having to buy another and build it just like mine I can assure you!

Brett

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I love my manual as well. About 13,500 miles now. 5.13’s really make first gear so short.

While in 4lo I can feel more driveline slack than my Jk auto. I can for sure hear the Rubicon transfer case slack (chain noise) Which a few others have told me they hear the same.

Anyone else?

Crawdad1028

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 6 speed with rubi axles, lockers, RCVs, trusses, and 5.13s
Vehicle Showcase
I love my manual as well. About 13,500 miles now. 5.13’s really make first gear so short.

While in 4lo I can feel more driveline slack than my Jk auto. I can for sure hear the Rubicon transfer case slack (chain noise) Which a few others have told me they hear the same.

Anyone else?
How do you like the 5.13 overall? I'm getting mine regeared this coming week. I can't wait to have all six gears again. (Sport gears on 37s, I can only use 4) does it make a big difference in shortening the rpm gap between the gears?
Also for anyone curious, imo the b&m shifter is well worth the money!

IMG_20190408_210705607.jpg

Sponsored

Logger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hey guys, great thread. 2018 JLU Sahara with 6spd (11,000 miles). I grew up on manual transmission and couldn’t wait to get back to it.

Does anyone hear or feel a slight clunk when starting off in first gear? It’s pretty subtle but I notice it when top is off. I thought I read somewhere that noise in the drivetrain is normal. Curious if anyone else experiencing the same. Thanks!

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
How do you like the 5.13 overall? I'm getting mine regeared this coming week. I can't wait to have all six gears again. (Sport gears on 37s, I can only use 4) does it make a big difference in shortening the rpm gap between the gears?
Also for anyone curious, imo the b&m shifter is well worth the money!

IMG_20190408_210705607.jpg
5.13’s are great. I do not have the front dana 30 anymore though which is why I didn’t go 4.88’s. The gear gap is definitely shorter!

Crawdad1028

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
5.13’s are great. I do not have the front dana 30 anymore though which is why I didn’t go 4.88’s. The gear gap is definitely shorter!
Yeah I’m doing the 5.13 with a rubi axle swap. It can’t get done soon enough!

Crawdad1028

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, great thread. 2018 JLU Sahara with 6spd (11,000 miles). I grew up on manual transmission and couldn’t wait to get back to it.

Does anyone hear or feel a slight clunk when starting off in first gear? It’s pretty subtle but I notice it when top is off. I thought I read somewhere that noise in the drivetrain is normal. Curious if anyone else experiencing the same. Thanks!
I hear a noise from time to time that’s more of a loud click noise like an A/C clutch kicking on. If I twist the front drive shaft back and forth with the Jeep not running it makes a similar noise so I’m wondering if that may be it just from a little bit of play in the system. Just a guess though, anybody else with better information feel free to correct me.

Logger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I hear a noise from time to time that’s more of a loud click noise like an A/C clutch kicking on. If I twist the front drive shaft back and forth with the Jeep not running it makes a similar noise so I’m wondering if that may be it just from a little bit of play in the system. Just a guess though, anybody else with better information feel free to correct me.
Thanks for the response. That makes sense, slight click as it engages. Any others have a similar experience?
Sponsored