TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I'm trying to decide between getting a Hi-Lift jack versus a bottle jack for off-road use. Mostly easy to moderate trails with some rocks along the way, no real rock crawling. Most of our off-roading is done solo (2-people +dogs). Occasional snowy trails in winter.

I've heard lots of horror stories about the Hi-Lift when used carelessly or users lacking experience. And since I have the Mopar front steel bumper (with winch) that would not be a suitable Hi-Lift jack point anyway (not sure how well the factory Rubi rails would do either). As such I'm leaning towards a heavy-duty bottle jack.

The bottle jack I'm looking at is a 6-ton Safe Jack ( https://safejacks.com/collections/b...ack-bottle-jack-recovery-kit-with-bottle-jack ).

So what say you? Hi-Lift or Safe Jack?

SafeJack 37M-BJRK-6W.jpg
Sponsored

River City Offroad

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.RiverCityOffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Triple White - RK 3.5" X-Factor Stage 1 / Steer Smarts / Mickey Thompson / Fuel
Occupation
Owner at River City Offroad
I'd carry a bottle jack over a hi-lift any day of the week. I have never been a fan of the Hi-Lift and have seen way too many sketchy and avoidable situations with people using them. You have to carry chains or ratchet straps to strap the axle if you're going to try to use one to lift a tire to change it as well. Not worth the hassle in my opinion. Bottle jack or drive the Jeep to flat ground and use the factory jack and a block of wood for lifted applications.

Marcus

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
Bottle Jack all the way. I agree with @River City Offroad 100%.

Also, never offroad alone. You should always have another Jeep with you.

OP
OP
TJ2018

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Also, never offroad alone. You should always have another Jeep with you.
I hear ya! We're on our ownsome most of the time, but they're well traveled trails and the biggest pain is figuring out the best place to pass! If anything makes me nervous I'll turn around and go back. But I understand that stuff happens. We are adding a CB for those areas that lack cell coverage.

Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I hear ya! We're on our ownsome most of the time, but they're well traveled trails and the biggest pain is figuring out the best place to pass! If anything makes me nervous I'll turn around and go back. But I understand that stuff happens. We are adding a CB for those areas that lack cell coverage.
I would go UHF/VHF in California, either HAM, GRMS and or Race Radios, CB is too spotty off roading here.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
I'd carry a bottle jack over a hi-lift any day of the week. I have never been a fan of the Hi-Lift and have seen way too many sketchy and avoidable situations with people using them. You have to carry chains or ratchet straps to strap the axle if you're going to try to use one to lift a tire to change it as well. Not worth the hassle in my opinion. Bottle jack or drive the Jeep to flat ground and use the factory jack and a block of wood for lifted applications.

Marcus
Agree. A Hi-Lift is sketchy and I’ve seen more damage done to a Jeep during its use than the trail we were on. You can get a bottle jack in places easier too. No saying Hi-lifts don’t work or are useless but you need to know how to use it and what to use it for. Takes practice to master.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
OP
OP
TJ2018

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would go UHF/VHF in California, either HAM, GRMS and or Race Radios, CB is too spotty off roading here.
Interesting... will definitely look into that!

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I always carry a HiLift in a JACKBOX and an electric jack--

Never a problem-

W.E.

JIMBO

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Wow, that seems to be priced about 3 times more than it should, bottle jacks are not that expensive ($40-$60) making those extensions worth their weight in gold (well maybe silver).

You can buy a 20 ton Bottle jack at Harbor Freight for $40 and similar jack extensions (except an adjustable extension which is easier to store) for $40 -$60

The problem with a bottle jack is someone needs to be under the rig to set and jack it up. An Air bottle jack would be the safer option

XJ253

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 XJ
A hi-lift is more useful as a makeshift winch for lifting your rig off/over/around/out of an obstacle; I'll use a bottle jack for pretty much everything else.

javelina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB "Saharacon", 2006 Wrangler TJ, 2018 F-150 RCSB 4x4
A hi-lift is more useful as a makeshift winch for lifting your rig off/over/around/out of an obstacle; I'll use a bottle jack for pretty much everything else.
Exactly! I've lugged the hi-lift around as a poor man's winch. Agreed on the bottle jack for most anything else.
Sponsored