Sponsored

First sighting of 2020 Jeep JL Wrangler PHEV Plug-In Hybrid!

xjgary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Cherokee XJ
First of all, this thread is for a PLUG-IN HYBRID, not EV Wrangler. That means it has a gas engine to get home after the limited range battery is depleted, so please stop worrying about charging batteries on the trail! You won't need it as long as you have gas in the tank. You will now have even more range than the gas only version.! No solar panel is needed. Second, even if this were the full EV vehicle coming later, most good EV's have a range equal to a gasoline powered vehicle. The Tesla S model 100D has a 370 mile range. The Rubicon trail is 22 miles long. I've done it several times.There are EV charging stations not far from either trailhead. The longest 4wd trail I've been on was about 130 miles. No big deal. It won't be the Fiat 500E tiny battery pack.
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
First of all, this thread is for a PLUG-IN HYBRID, not EV Wrangler. That means it has a gas engine to get home after the limited range battery is depleted, so please stop worrying about charging batteries on the trail! You won't need it as long as you have gas in the tank. You will now have even more range than the gas only version.! No solar panel is needed. Second, even if this were the full EV vehicle coming later, most good EV's have a range equal to a gasoline powered vehicle. The Tesla S model 100D has a 370 mile range. The Rubicon trail is 22 miles long. I've done it several times.There are EV charging stations not far from either trailhead. The longest 4wd trail I've been on was about 130 miles. No big deal. It won't be the Fiat 500E tiny battery pack.
I am a huge electric vehicle fan. However, has Jeep published the combined total range? If it really does get more range than gas only, that will be great. However, there are a number of hybrids that get LESS combined range because, well, batteries are heavy to lug around and take up space that might otherwise be used for a bigger gas tank (or something else).

I think that the Mini Cooper plug-in falls into this category, if I recall correctly..... smaller gas tank + heavy battery = about 30 miles of all electric charge and less combined range. The wrangler weighs a whole lot more than a Mini. It will need a much heavier battery. I will be curious to see what it can actually do in real world conditions.

xjgary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Cherokee XJ
I am a huge electric vehicle fan. However, has Jeep published the combined total range? If it really does get more range than gas only, that will be great. However, there are a number of hybrids that get LESS combined range because, well, batteries are heavy to lug around and take up space that might otherwise be used for a bigger gas tank (or something else).

I think that the Mini Cooper plug-in falls into this category, if I recall correctly..... smaller gas tank + heavy battery = about 30 miles of all electric charge and less combined range. The wrangler weighs a whole lot more than a Mini. It will need a much heavier battery. I will be curious to see what it can actually do in real world conditions.
That is a valid point. If total range is decreased, there would be little point to buying one unless one's daily commute was within the battery mode range, or if battery only mode could be saved for the 4WD trail where instant torque will make it more capable than ICE mode. But knowing how Wranglers are used I have to hope that it is designed so that total range will at least be equal to the ICE only versions.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
The Wrangler Unlimited is big enough that you wouldn't have to sacrifice anything from the gas tank to make room for the battery pack like you would with a Mini Cooper.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
The Wrangler Unlimited is big enough that you wouldn't have to sacrifice anything from the gas tank to make room for the battery pack like you would with a Mini Cooper.
A wrangler weighs a lot more and therefore will require a bigger battery. Bigger physically and heavier too. But, you may be correct.

I guess that we will find out soon enough!

My personal guess (and it is a pure guess): 30 miles on real world full electric and a reduction of 10% real range using the 2.0L as a benchmark.

If you drive it 12 miles each way to work, WINNER. If you overland it, maybe go with ICE.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
A wrangler weighs a lot more and therefore will require a bigger battery. Bigger physically and heavier too. But, you may be correct.

I guess that we will find out soon enough!

My personal guess (and it is a pure guess): 30 miles on real world full electric and a reduction of 10% real range using the 2.0L as a benchmark.

If you drive it 12 miles each way to work, WINNER. If you overland it, maybe go with ICE.
And you'll have more room for the bigger battery as well, I haven't personally looked around the battery compartment of the 2.0 so I don't know how much room is left for a full hybrid battery pack but It really shouldn't interfere with the size of the fuel tank. We shall see when actual specs come out, but I think cargo volume would get sacrificed before fuel tank volume. Maybe not the best rig for an overlander if either one is the case, but if not you'll have a good power source overnight. :)

xjgary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Cherokee XJ
And you'll have more room for the bigger battery as well, I haven't personally looked around the battery compartment of the 2.0 so I don't know how much room is left for a full hybrid battery pack but It really shouldn't interfere with the size of the fuel tank. We shall see when actual specs come out, but I think cargo volume would get sacrificed before fuel tank volume. Maybe not the best rig for an overlander if either one is the case, but if not you'll have a good power source overnight. :)
My recollection is that Jeep said the traction battery would be under the Jeep in a waterproof structure. I think they said it would be in the tunnel next to the driveshaft, which make sense. Obviously it would need it's own skid plate! It is far too big to go under the hood along with the engine.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
My recollection is that Jeep said the traction battery would be under the Jeep in a waterproof structure. I think they said it would be in the tunnel next to the driveshaft, which make sense. Obviously it would need it's own skid plate! It is far too big to go under the hood along with the engine.
Hmmmmm.....

“All electric” cars have huge batteries..... think “the whole bottom of the car”. I will be very curious to see what Jeep does here. I am going to stick to my prediction..... less than 30 miles all electric range and a reduction of total range from the 2.0L benchmark.

Hopefully Jeep proves me wrong.

xjgary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Cherokee XJ
Hmmmmm.....

“All electric” cars have huge batteries..... think “the whole bottom of the car”. I will be very curious to see what Jeep does here. I am going to stick to my prediction..... less than 30 miles all electric range and a reduction of total range from the 2.0L benchmark.

Hopefully Jeep proves me wrong.
Yes, but this thread is for a Plug-In hybrid, not the all electric model coming a year of so later. I agree that the range will be about 30-32 miles (32 so they can sell them in China)

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Yes, but this thread is for a Plug-In hybrid, not the all electric model coming a year of so later. I agree that the range will be about 30-32 miles (32 so they can sell them in China)
Yes, I know.

I was making the point at how heavy/big a battery needs to be to get lots of range. This PLug-in will have a “small” battery compared to all electric cars but that battery will still weigh quite a bit. The weight and a possible reduction in gas tank capacity has a good chance of reducing the overall range of this vehicle compared to its all ICE sisters.

If we agree on 32 mile all electric range, what do you think the combined total range will be? 350 miles?

Sponsored

xjgary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Cherokee XJ
Yes, I know.

I was making the point at how heavy/big a battery needs to be to get lots of range. This PLug-in will have a “small” battery compared to all electric cars but that battery will still weigh quite a bit. The weight and a possible reduction in gas tank capacity has a good chance of reducing the overall range of this vehicle compared to its all ICE sisters.

If we agree on 32 mile all electric range, what do you think the combined total range will be? 350 miles?
That sounds about right. And I agree that the gasoline only range will be decreased due to the extra weight as it will drop the fuel mileage. That's what happened when Toyota developed a plug-in Hybrid Prius.

scramboleer

Threads
Reaction score
While I understand the maximum total range (gas + electric) might matter to some, this is the stats that the engineers are designing against:

Daily%20distance%20car%20distribution.jpg

This is why a plug-in hybrid with 30 or 40 miles of all-electric range is so useful.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
While I understand the maximum total range (gas + electric) might matter to some, this is the stats that the engineers are designing against:

Daily%20distance%20car%20distribution.jpg

This is why a plug-in hybrid with 30 or 40 miles of all-electric range is so useful.
100% agree. I would guess that most wranglers never overland or crawl. Therefore ‘most’ wrangler drivers would potentially benefit from a plug in hybrid. Does an owner use a wrangler to drive 22 miles to and from work? Homerun!!!!!

What got me started in this thread was a few pages ago when the discussion turned to off-roading an electric or hybrid Jeep or other vehicle. The issue there is getting to the trailhead, through the trail, and back and the views of some that hybrid electric vehicles posed no additional inconveniences..........

scramboleer

Threads
Reaction score
Some of the plug-in hybrids have an “EV later” button. This lets the driver first drive in hybrid mode, saving the battery for all-electric mode later. For me anyway, this would be an ideal way to get to the trailhead and then switch into electric mode for the trail.

Kansas JL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon ( sold). 2022 392 XR Tuscadero
I am excited about a plug in Jeep. It would be great if they could squeeze in another 20-30 miles and give about 50-60 total miles electric. ( no official numbers have been released yet). The wrangler is a good sized vehicle to house a larger battery.
I own two Tesla vehicles and I can say they have completely changed how I feel about plugging in a vehicle. It’s easy, and crazy cheap to run. As mentioned before on this thread, they are fun as hell to drive. And as mentioned already they are not for everybody, just nice to have those options if you would like to buy one.
Sponsored