Sponsored

Scaffold for Hardtop storage and removal works great

Runt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara
I can see this as pretty practical for a 2-door; has anyone tried it on a 4-door?
Sponsored

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I can see this as pretty practical for a 2-door; has anyone tried it on a 4-door?
I've got the scaffold and there's plenty of room for a 4 door top. Though I am planning on securing it with something like OP did, just to stabilize it a bit better if something were to bump/disturb the other end that sticks out. This is more precaution than necessity, because weight/balance itself isn't an issue as the rear portion is way heavier than the rest.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Awesome idea. Got my 6' scaffolding at Fleet Farm for $150. After hanging my JK hard top, this made much more sense due to the flexibility. I have limited space in my garage and this will work much better. If someone comes up with a retro fit to hang the doors from the scaffolding, please post. Otherwise, that will be my next project. Normal hangers probably won't work since I have window wind deflectors. I'm sure I can come up with something, it will just take some thought. Once I do, I'll post my results. Thanks again John.

Sponsored

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome idea. Got my 6' scaffolding at Fleet Farm for $150. After hanging my JK hard top, this made much more sense due to the flexibility. I have limited space in my garage and this will work much better. If someone comes up with a retro fit to hang the doors from the scaffolding, please post. Otherwise, that will be my next project. Normal hangers probably won't work since I have window wind deflectors. I'm sure I can come up with something, it will just take some thought. Once I do, I'll post my results. Thanks again John.

Can't find it anywhere but yesterday I saw someone mounted door hangers on the scaffold. I'll keep looking.

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
So after seeing this thread, I thought this was a perfect idea and ran to Home Depot and picked up the same scaffolding. Took me about 10 minutes to take it off on my own. Pretty damn easy. I then used some ratchet straps to secure it to the scaffolding and roll it out of the way. At the end of the night, I asked my 10 year old to help me put it back on, but he was distracted by the dog so I ended up doing it mostly on my own. It took about the same amount of time.

I just got in the back of the Jeep, bent over and stood so my back was pressed flat against the roof. Then I just moved it forward or back to get it on or off. It was a little awkward, but not terribly so. At the very end, my son helped get it into its final position because I was about 1" off.

I have the 2019 JL Unlimited Sport S if it matters.

55WillysWagon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 Willys Wagon, 2019 Jeep Wrangler OB JLUR
My friends give me crap for all the "tools" I buy for projects and hobbies. Not so much when they want to borrow them though. This scaffold idea is a great one. Kudos. Just got back from Lowe's where I bought the Werner 6' setup. Weather is crappy up here south of Boston but I'm itching to switch tops. Just like this is a great idea, I'm also using another idea from these forums....the cheapo moving blankets that a bunch of folks got because they fit the back of the JLU cargo area also work perfect on this scaffold for the top!

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

Last edited:

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
How long did the Home Depot scaffold take to assemble? I am going to join the club and buy one tomorrow. =)

Sponsored

55WillysWagon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Assembly was pretty quick, 15 minutes tops. Nothing compared to putting on a new soft top. Getting the rear window in for the first time is a PITA.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Can't find it anywhere but yesterday I saw someone mounted door hangers on the scaffold. I'll keep looking.
Thank you Andrew. I think I'm going with using scrap wood (2 or 3 2"x6"x10') in my garage as a bottom shelf and attach PCV tubing to create slots to hold 2 doors on each side of the scaffolding instead of trying to hang them. Tubing something like below but attached to the wood shelf on each side to hold 2 doors each side. Add padding and it should work. I've been trying to think of uses for the scrap wood since I never got to building the kids a swing-set and now they're too old for backyard swing-sets. Probably also have left over PVC from previous home projects. If not, pretty inexpensive to get the parts. Good Memorial Day weekend project.

Start-the-base.jpg

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
Thanks to the OP for this idea. I sawzalled the sides, and now taking the top off is easy and I have rolling storage for it! The parts I cut off can be turned upside down and put back on too!

366F3021-1E06-4C3C-8CA4-A75A7BD1778A.jpeg

8AC0445A-0D96-43DD-A0C8-5509BE3D9AC1.jpeg

6917E1F5-902C-4F93-BE3B-67A6AE8801D5.jpeg

55WillysWagon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is working out better than I thought. I love the mobility. I store my front removable top panels in their bag right on the shelf as well as the original rug carpets and I'm sure other Jeep stuff will go on there. My lawn tractor fits right under it so it really isn't taking up much new space.

IMG_0219.jpg

Ndrogo

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
This is working out better than I thought. I love the mobility. I store my front removable top panels in their bag right on the shelf as well as the original rug carpets and I'm sure other Jeep stuff will go on there. My lawn tractor fits right under it so it really isn't taking up much new space.

IMG_0219.jpg
What is the height of the scaffolding? What I need is to get it through a door way that is 70 inches tall.
Sponsored