Sponsored

Advantage to buying at local dealership?

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
In what world is the 5' inch radio crap? Just curious. I don't see the justification in paying almost $1000 just to have a radio be 2 inches bigger. I wish more Sports around me had the 5' and not 7'. My issue with Wranglers on lots are they tend to be overloaded with options.
In a 40K+ SUV, you can bet anyone who has done any research will pony up for the 7" or 8.4. I listened to the 5" unit and was unimpressed, plus it is a PITA to do an upgrade on the head units and amps now and if you do it is damn expensive, and yes it does suck spending even more money to get the better head unit and amp and subwoofer. Sorry if my comment offended you but in my mind I wouldnt buy one off the lot without at least the 7" unit and I had to order to get the alpine.

There is a reason why a lot of these dealers are stuck with units they cant move. While the base radio may be OK to you, to many that is the negative kills the deal. Why would I spend 40K plus and not have a good sound system. Any manager of dealer should be cognizant of that or he doesnt know his customers. It may be fine to have a couple with the base radio but I bet come next fall all these he has on the lot will be sitting there. A freind is a tech and he yells at them when a customer wants a truck and they were too dumb to order the tow package. Then they want him to bolt on the receiver and then have to yank half the interior out to run the wiring and then program it, it isnt a quick easy deal like yrs back.
Sponsored

lsp408

First Name
Li
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUS
I bought my JLUR from local dealer thinking if I ever have any problem, they will step up and help me.

Totally not true... first oil change they over filled (6 instead of 5). When I ask them the owners manual said 5 quarts. Service advisor lied to me and told me JL takes 5.4 quarts instead of 5...

Then my problem with steering loose, because my Jeep is lifted they want 2 hours of labor up front before they take a look at it.

Go for better deal for sure

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
In a 40K+ SUV, you can bet anyone who has done any research will pony up for the 7" or 8.4. I listened to the 5" unit and was unimpressed, plus it is a PITA to do an upgrade on the head units and amps now and if you do it is damn expensive, and yes it does suck spending even more money to get the better head unit and amp and subwoofer. Sorry if my comment offended you but in my mind I wouldnt buy one off the lot without at least the 7" unit and I had to order to get the alpine.

There is a reason why a lot of these dealers are stuck with units they cant move. While the base radio may be OK to you, to many that is the negative kills the deal. Why would I spend 40K plus and not have a good sound system. Any manager of dealer should be cognizant of that or he doesnt know his customers. It may be fine to have a couple with the base radio but I bet come next fall all these he has on the lot will be sitting there. A freind is a tech and he yells at them when a customer wants a truck and they were too dumb to order the tow package. Then they want him to bolt on the receiver and then have to yank half the interior out to run the wiring and then program it, it isnt a quick easy deal like yrs back.
Are you ponying up to the 7' for sound, or for size? For size I understand, but I got the Alpine with my 5' radio and it sounds amazing. It's twice as good as the Alpine was on my 2014 JKU which wasn't bad. I'm not offended, I like talking about Wranglers. I do respectfully disagree with you though. I don't see why people call the 5' crap just because it's not 7' inches(there's been others besides your post). Compared to the JKs radios, the 5' is very luxurious. I also don't get why Jeep didn't put 3.73s with max towing. Most people aren't towing with Wranglers. When 3.73s came with it, it was a no brainer in my opinion. I was very disappointed when I seen max tow didn't come with higher gears on the JL.

I agree that options are in the eyes of the beholders. But I don't agree that on Sports the radio is what holds anybody up. Me personally, the high base price of Wranglers did the opposite for me. It stopped me from ordering "luxury" items like the 7', max tow, heated seats, etc. Alpine was my only luxury option I indulged with.

Last edited:

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I didnt know you could upgrade to the Alpine with the base 5" unit. I know the Sahara and rubicon came std with the 7"s and you paid 1500 for the alpine and 8.4.

I thought you had to upgrade to the Tech group with the 7" on the sport s for 995 and then you had to pony up another 1295 for the Alpine?

In any case the ones on this lot are the 5" and base system.

Since the sound systems are difficult to upgrade after the fact, it is a neg in my mind to compromise, but everyone has different priorities.

Note I have the HK in my SRT and it is worth every penny, also have the alpine in my Ovelrand and like that and the one in our Wrngler, although curious how it sounds once the soft top is on and in convertible mode.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Have a few quotes emailed to you from Jim March, koons, or other dealers that have good pricing.
Print it and bring it to local dealer and see how close they can get to that deal.
Then weight the difference in price, take into account getting to the better deal and getting back.
Sometimes local will get close enough to not make it worth the travel

If the better deal is 1000 miles away, and it is a $1000 better deal, but it will cost you $500 to get there, then drive back home to me it isn't worth it

Sponsored

Deriggs007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU SportS
Occupation
Radiologist
Are you ponying up to the 7' for sound, or for size? For size I understand, but I got the Alpine with my 5' radio and it sounds amazing. It's twice as good as the Alpine was on my 2014 JKU which wasn't bad. I'm not offended, I like talking about Wranglers. I do respectfully disagree with you though. I don't see why people call the 5' crap just because it's not 7' inches(there's been others besides your post). Compared to the JKs radios, the 5' is very luxurious. I also don't get why Jeep didn't put 3.73s with max towing. Most people aren't towing with Wranglers. When 3.73s came with it, it was a no brainer in my opinion. I was very disappointed when I seen max tow didn't come with higher gears on the JL.

I agree that options are in the eyes of the beholders. But I don't agree that on Sports the radio is what holds anybody up. Me personally, the high base price of Wranglers did the opposite for me. It stopped me from ordering "luxury" items like the 7', max tow, heated seats, etc. Alpine was my only luxury option I indulged with.
So in my case - if I buy a jeep, it's the daily driver for the wife. Base model, no items or additions included. Unless you REALLY want a jeep, the 5" is below any class out there on any vehicle, especially at the price you pay. I think that's one point they were trying to make. People who really want the Jeep are going to pony up the extra bit of cash to bring it to normal market standards provided there is a good money/option balance to warrant it.

To me, these JLU's are expensive and it's hard to purchase something I am not really going to enjoy because it doesn't have any of the options I want and is well below the bell curve in options that other vendors have in a daily driver. Yes, yes, I know. the JLU's aren't meant for Daily driving or what ever else and I agree. However, it's my wifes decision to get the Jeep and I have to swallow what practicality it offers us, which is not much.

From shopping around and NOT being a biased consumer towards any one vehicle. These should of came with a 7" standard, not 5" because they're just dipping in, lol.

To compensate, my vehicle has over a 12" screen in it and all the bells and whistles and still costs less. ;)

tourguide337

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Have a few quotes emailed to you from Jim March, koons, or other dealers that have good pricing.
Print it and bring it to local dealer and see how close they can get to that deal.
Then weight the difference in price, take into account getting to the better deal and getting back.
Sometimes local will get close enough to not make it worth the travel

If the better deal is 1000 miles away, and it is a $1000 better deal, but it will cost you $500 to get there, then drive back home to me it isn't worth it
I live in Colorado and emailed local and out of state dealers for my JLUR build. When I received the better out of state offers, I told the local dealer. They did not match, but pretty much made it break even with the travel/gas/hotel/food/time it would have taken to go out of state. If the local dealer did not deal, I would have went out of state.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Sales & Service Depts....two totally different parts of the business....not inter-related. Everyone is giving you good advice. Buy at the best deal.....get your service at the best service location for you. If they are both at the same dealership...thatā€™s a plus.....but that is not usually the case.
Service Dept doesnā€™t care where the car was purchased.....and they are not going to take any better care of you because you purchased from them. Basically they are going to provide the same service standard to all customers. I bought my corvette new from my local dealership.....but their service dept is terrible, so I drive to the other side of Houston to get my service done.....and itā€™s worth the drive.
Go where itā€™s best for you....best deal....best service, be happy !

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
I bought from a dealer about an hour away from me because they had a JL on the lot with everything we wanted. We'll have it serviced/warranty work done at the local dealer though.

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
I bought at a local dealer, even paid a few dollars more because of the great service I was promised. I took it in today with a list of things I wanted them to check out. I was pretty much told it's all normal for a Jeep, but we did change the oil.

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
I tell ya, Iā€™m in miami and to find a dealer willing to deal is close to impossible. They donā€™t even honor tread lightly. Iā€™d go where the deal is but Iā€™d check with your Credit Union if youā€™re financing because my CU wonā€™t finance an out of state vehicle. Also I surrender my right to Floridaā€™s lemon laws.
Sponsored