Jeep Dealers Are Offering Up To $9,500 Off New Wranglers

adamk8180

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a jeep... yet!
Thanks! So if I’m reading that right, it looks like this invoice is somewhere around $41,500? With a MSRP of $44,600? I’m sure I’m missing an option on my calculation, so that’s close enough.

So that price of $37,200 is about 10% off invoice. That seems like a good deal, but should I expect to save more on a 2018 at this point? And is this dealer just offering great prices upfront?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
File this is the "no kidding" folder, Watson.

20190505_191812.jpg

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
File this is the "no kidding" folder, Watson.

20190505_191812.jpg
If you google that quote from your June magazine issue, you will find that it dates back to Dec 2018. Underlying facts may or may not be the same.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Thanks! So if I’m reading that right, it looks like this invoice is somewhere around $41,500? With a MSRP of $44,600? I’m sure I’m missing an option on my calculation, so that’s close enough.

So that price of $37,200 is about 10% off invoice. That seems like a good deal, but should I expect to save more on a 2018 at this point? And is this dealer just offering great prices upfront?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
For a 2018 I’d push for 15% off invoice as with 2020’s coming its 2 years old. They may or may not go for it depending on how well JLU’s are selling in your area; but doesn’t hurt to try. That puts you around $35k.

For a 2019 you can’t get as aggressive but 10% is pretty common off invoice for a 2019 if you work at it and willing to go to areas where not selling as quickly. Typically avoid the big city dealerships.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
For a 2018 I’d push for 15% off invoice as with 2020’s coming its 2 years old. They may or may not go for it depending on how well JLU’s are selling in your area; but doesn’t hurt to try. That puts you around $35k.

For a 2019 you can’t get as aggressive but 10% is pretty common off invoice for a 2019 if you work at it and willing to go to areas where not selling as quickly. Typically avoid the big city dealerships.
You might be mistaken. It is not common to get 10% under invoice. I'd say is very unlikely. Even with military, affiliate, and every other possible incentive rolled in. Then you have to take into consideration DOC fees and dealer prep fees. A true under-invoice percentage is commonly offset with high DOC fees and BS dealer prep fees. You loose a percentage back if they add them or any other back-end products.

Last edited:

Riderkjo

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sport, 16 Crosstrek
Vehicle Showcase
The JL Sport 2 door MT I just bought was MSRP $27,495, then brought up to $30,530 with hard top, deep tint, and delivery fee. We negotiated down to about $23,500, which is "$1700 below invoice, and we're losing money ;( " (salesman)
Here's the best part of the whole conversation...
(Wife)-"I'm not happy with this price and I think you could do better, but I'm hangry and we'll sign paperwork if you throw in WeatherTech mats."
(Manager)-"I can't do that"
(Me)-"Alright, guess we're not getting a Jeep after all"
(Manager)-"Are you really going to walk away over floor mats?!"
(Wife)-"...Are you really going to lose a guaranteed sale over floor mats?" *mic drop*

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
You might be mistaken. It is not common to get 10% under invoice. I'd say is very unlikely. Even with military, affiliate, and every other possible incentive rolled in. Then you have to take into consideration DOC fees and dealer prep fees. A true under-invoice percentage is commonly offset with high DOC fees and BS dealer prep fees. You loose a percentage back if they add them or any other back-end products.
Sorry I disagree. In MD no issue from several dealerships to get under 10% with fees in. I had multiple offers in that range.

2018’s even lower by a few % points.

Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Damnit...knew I should’ve waited...not.

Picked mine up last Spring for about 5% under invoice and prior to the 2-3, maybe 4 now price increases.

FCA really overpriced this vehicle by a couple of thousand dollars and in the first 6 months of launch they increased the price twice! That’s straight up greed. They saw the sales numbers go through the roof and said hey we can make more money on this cash cow, so let’s bump the price up...now 2018s are collecting dust on the lots, 2019s are collecting dust, and soon 2020s will be arriving. There goes the resale value...say bye bye.

I still believe I got a good deal. Would I buy again, yes only if I can get 10% under invoice or more. The fact that they are selling for that right now sets the market and auction prices. So even if you paid $45K for a Jeep with an MSRP of $53K, as soon as you drive it off the lot it’s only worth about $40K and dropping.

Moment of silence for those who paid MSRP or more when these first came out.

JROOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
They may take a bath on the vehicle sell, but be sure they will hard sell marked up plans and other doodads.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Sorry I disagree. In MD no issue from several dealerships to get under 10% with fees in. I had multiple offers in that range.

2018’s even lower by a few % points.
Which dealers? And what are the DOC fees and is there dealer prep or any other back end products?

lonz

First Name
Lonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Order Jeep Wrangler JL
So even if you paid $45K for a Jeep with an MSRP of $53K, as soon as you drive it off the lot it’s only worth about $40K and dropping.
Completely agree! I was in negotiation with a dealer for a brand new fully loaded 2018 2-door Rubicon. I sat there with my laptop and ran the resale numbers via Kelly Blue Book right there in front of the salesman. I selected Private Party Resale, with only 29 miles, all the options, etc., in "Very Good" condition, since every single dealer will say that NO vehicle is in "Excellent" condition. We were both stunned to see that a brand new, fully loaded Rubicon with an MSRP of $52,590 would only be worth $34k trade-in, and $38k private party. They were asking $47,500. I said, "Based on the numbers I'm seeing here, my offer is $39k." They laughed in my face :). Lol!

So, moral of the story, for anyone looking to buy a new 2018, run the numbers via kbb.com first, so that you can clearly understand the level of depreciation you're about to take on before buying. I usually shoot for Private Party resale when buying a late model vehicle. That should be the benchmark! Be an informed buyer! The data is available!

Last edited:

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Completely agree! I was in negotiation with a dealer for a brand new fully loaded 2018 2-door Rubicon. I sat there with my laptop and ran the resale numbers via Kelly Blue Book right there in front of the salesman. I selected Private Party Resale, with only 29 miles, all the options, etc., in "Very Good" condition, since every single dealer will say that NO vehicle is in "Excellent" condition. We were both stunned to see that a brand new, fully loaded Rubicon with an MSRP of $52,590 would only be worth $34k trade-in, and $38k private party. They were asking $47,500. I said, "Based on the numbers I'm seeing here, my offer is $39k." They laughed in my face :). Lol!
Understand you are referencing a 2018 , but it peaked my interested. I am picking up my 2019 JLUR in MD and driving it back to CT (320ish miles) so went on KBB and priced out private party value in "very good" condition with 500 miles to see how much i'd lose by the time i got home. I got a value range of $45.7K to $49.2K when i am paying $46.0K on a MSRP of $53.1K.

Wonder why such big difference between the value i got to yours since the MSRP's are similar. Would a model year make that big a difference? location?
Sponsored